iRiver products in Philadelphia...
Dec 2, 2003 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

JiPi

500+ Head-Fier
My dad is in Philly this week and I would like him to pick up a iMP-XXX for me while he's there (no iRiver
retailer here.. and even after two e-mails asking BestBuy (who just arrived here) to order them just like
their Southern friends do, they just ignore me. Or at least do not reply to me..
rolleyes.gif
) So is anyone a
Philadelphia resident and would be able to tell me approximatly where he could be able to find either a
iMP-350 or 550? Thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2003 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 13
Try Best Buys. They do not now carry it, but some have old stock. Deptford is a good bet.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 13
the 350 is only $99.99 on best buy's website with free shipping. why not just order it? It's not available in their store. I've been in and out of quite a few places (live just outside of philly) recently and I haven't seen any of the iriver cd players anywhere. Even after a quick poke around the net none of the B&M places with websites show the 350 or 450 available at any of their stores. I think ordering from Best Buy online is your best bet, and best deal as well.

Dec 3, 2003 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Have you seen the taxes, duties and handling fees that someone in Canada must pay when ordering something from the US or overseas?

He'll end up paying $200 (orkay maybe I'm exaggerating a little), but it'll end up being a lot.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2003 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 13
well order it and upgrade the shipping to next day having it sent to his hotel.

you could've planned that one in advance ordering it ahead of time and just make sure it was sent to the hotel with "attn: guest's name" on it. The hotel would hold it for him.

many places it's special order so I doubt it's available in any store at the moment as a regular item. he could get lucky and find 1 left somewhere, but that's about all I can think of. I think he'd end up doing a lot of running around.

Dec 3, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 13
Hmm.. I guess I could get it for friday if I tell him to order one online today, or something. Hopefuly this will
work. He's a bit afraid of ordering with his CC on the Internet too, so is there a way he could call them or
something?

Quote:

Deptford is a good bet.

What's that? City or store?

Dec 4, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Deptford is in New Jersey, about 15-20 minutes outside of Philly. They have a Best Buy Store there. I also think that the store in Plymouth Meeting (a suburb of Philly in Pennsylvania) might be a good bet. The bad news is that if you call, the staff can be pretty clueless about what they have on the shelves. You might have to show up. Good luck.

Dec 4, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #9 of 13
There's a few stores in the philly area. Click on this link... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....e&isCarFi=null

and put 19106 in the zip code area and click on "find stores"

This will give you all the info on the stores. You can call them and see if they have one in stock instead of having your dad drive all over.

You could also put three of the stores into your preferred store list and then go to the IMP-350 page and it will show if it's in stock at the store. I think you're out of luck though because on the page it says store availability: not available. If there were ones floating around it would show up as limited availability. So I think your only way is through mail order.

I'm not familiar with shipping into Canada, but does everything get subject to import taxes, duty fees and such? I know i've bought stuff from Canada and have had no problems whatsover. You just don't pay for the item plus shipping and then it shows up at your door? There's some middleman that gets involved?

Dec 4, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #10 of 13
Uh. Well thing is, I don't want it to get shipped here because I'd have to pay brokerage fees and 'across borders'
fees aswell (plus all the other stuff duty, shipping.. bla). So it wouldn't come to $99USD but more like $150USD,
which is the price of a iMP-400 (approx) in a store. So you do the maths!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm going to call him tonight and tell him
to order one by mail and get it shipped to his hotel room or something, that's probably his best bet. Damn, if
only Canada was up to date with their stores and didn't only have frikkin Sony and such. <sigh>
rolleyes.gif

Dec 4, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 13
I've had an ifp-395t shipped to Montreal straight from iRiver. No duties were applied. I had to pay GST + 5$ brokerage (it was USPS). Of course, it got stranded a good 4-5 days at customs but i did not pay duties.
A regular visitor of the iRiver forum is a canadian customs officer and told me that duties would not be applied on the ifp. I guess it would be the same thing for an imp.

Shipping up here is not so bad as long as you are not dealing with UPS or Fedex.

Dec 4, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 13
Thing is the iRiver.com prices for their products are MSRP. So that's like 30 bucks more for the iMP-350,
then shipping and stuff. Comes up a bit expensive
frown.gif
I don't think my dad got my message, so I'll probably end
up ordering one and ship it to my cousin's house and wait till he visits
frown.gif
:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back