iRiver or iPod
Dec 9, 2003 at 11:38 PM Post #46 of 121
Oh and, the ihp is now 1.9mm the whole way across, down to the joystick it is 1.9mm, then it drops to 1.5mm for the rest of it... so ts like.. hybrid lol

Dec 9, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #47 of 121
Quote:

You do realise that the extra thickness of the iriver is prolly due more to all the extra stuff shoved into it rather than the battery itself??

the iHP uses a 1300 mAh battery as opposed to 630 mAh for the iPod. Assuming the same basic battery technology is used for both, the iHp battery is probably about double the volume of the iPod battery, give or take 10%. There is no reason to think that Apple uses inferior battery technology as compared to iRiver. Apple just chose a battery that happens to be about half the size and half the output of the iHP battery.

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #48 of 121
Quote:

perhaps the iHP is slightly thicker becuase it has so many features such as the built in radio, recording capabilites and optical lines more. All of these features more make up for such a minute difference in thickness between the two players, especially since th iHP has a 16 hour rated battery.

Consider that the difference in size between the 2 players being compared is about the size of a AA battery. Also consider that all of the circuitry in my Xin Micro amp which includes 2 analog jacks takes up the space of just a little more than 1 AAA battery and this include 2 relatively large capacitors. The radio and and recording capabilities could probably be integrated into one very small and very thin IC and an optical plug doesn't take much room either.

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:24 AM Post #49 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by PooJou
You do realise that the extra thickness of the iriver is prolly due more to all the extra stuff shoved into it rather than the battery itself??

What "extra stuff" are you talking about? The tuner? The input/output jacks? Those items take up virtually no space that would displace a battery.

It amazes me how resistant people are to facts that go against their position. How about the fact that the iHP battery is actually bigger (1300mAh vs. ~600mAh)? That fact alone should dispel any suspicions that the iPod is using a similar-sized battery.

Quote:

Originally posted by Redefine
Well you do have some abilities. By organizational abilities I assume you are talking about arranging your files by artist. album. etc.? If that is the case, you certainly can do this using Explorer as well by simply right clicking inside the window.

You can do things in terms of playlists on the iPod that you can't even come close to doing with the "drag and drop" players.

Quote:

Can we say opinion? Unless you know for a fact that the vast majority of users don't need a longer battery life, I wouldn't make such comments.

I based my statement on market research that I've seen -- surveys of users of hard drive-based MP3 players.

Quote:

Just a question. Going off your statements, does this mean you've actually tried the iHP? If not, then ...
rolleyes.gif

Don't assume that just because the majority of people in this thread are making comments without any hands-on experience with the models in question, that everyone in this thread is.

Quote:

Originally posted by GSTom1
All of these features more make up for such a minute difference in thickness between the two players, especially since th iHP has a 16 hour rated battery.

See my comments above in this post. Plus, a "minute difference in thickness" equates to a significant difference in volume, which is far more important when you're talking about the batteries in these units.

Dec 10, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #51 of 121
Quote:

What "extra stuff" are you talking about? The tuner? The input/output jacks? You do realize that those items take up virtually no space that would displace a battery?

You do know the iHP has an internal recorder? Check this out...try to put that Belkin Voice recorder inside the iPod... haha
evil_smiley.gif
I find it extremely funny you criticize others for exaggerating when you yourself are guilty of the same. "Virtually no space that would displace a battery?" Heh. There's a good reason as to why the iPod comes with a Dock that has outputs on it instead of in the player.

Quote:

Can we say "didn't read the post thoroughly?" I based my statement on market research that I've seen -- surveys of users of hard drive-based MP3 players.

Can we say "where the hell did you mention market research in that post?" Oh BTW, could you exactly give us the proof as to where you found these. I and many others would be most welcomed.

Quote:

Don't assume that just because the majority of people in this thread are making comments without any hands-on experience with the models in question, that everyone in this thread is.

LMAO...since when was a question considered asuming things? Gimme a break guy.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #52 of 121
Quote:

Well you do have some abilities. By organizational abilities I assume you are talking about arranging your files by artist. album. etc.? If that is the case, you certainly can do this using Explorer as well by simply right clicking inside the window.

Organization aside, id3 tag DB's are much more flexible...at any time you can view by artists, albums or genres, with file structures you are stuck using one view until you hook up and change your structure.

The real advantage of the iPod comes with the dynamic smartlists, and on the go playlist. I have smartlists for pretty much all my genre's of songs rated 4 or 5 stars, if I rate a song in that list less then 4 stars, it is removed, if I rate a song that is not on that list, more then 3 stars, it will be added...all without having to sync...you can also make lists based on most often played...least often played, or any combination of things. This is simply not possible via drag and drop / winamp playlists.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #53 of 121
Quote:

You do know the iHP has an internal recorder? Check this out...try to put that Belkin Voice recorder inside the iPod... haha I find it extremely funny you criticize others for exaggerating when you yourself are guilty of the same. "Virtually no space that would displace a battery?" Heh. There's a good reason as to why the iPod comes with a Dock that has outputs on it instead of in the player.

The Belkin voice recorder also has a built in speaker and if you look at it's picture the size is mostly costrained by the size of the speaker. The electronics in the Belkin, if built on into the iPod would very likely require less room than required in the seperate device because the components could be more highly integrated with existing components. A lot of the size of the Belkin probably has to do with aesthetics and usubility design considerations more than space. For instance, while the height is constrained by the speaker they chose to use, shrinking the width down to the marketers may have seemed to hurt it's appearance or usability in some way. Trust me, the size of that device is not limited by the size of the electronics.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:25 AM Post #54 of 121
again, this depends on the person, personally i prefer to listen to entire albums, or my winamp playlist
smily_headphones1.gif

It's whatever suits you best, you have the pro's and con's here, just choose depending on what YOU want, not what anyone else thinks you should have

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:27 AM Post #55 of 121
Quote:

"Virtually no space that would displace a battery?" Heh. There's a good reason as to why the iPod comes with a Dock that has outputs on it instead of in the player.

Yes, but that reason is to get rid of the added bulk of the firewire connection directly on the iPod...not because adding a line out takes up more space.

Furthermore, it'd probably be more useful if people stoped resorting to sarcasim and other personal jabs..and just stuck to the two players...the thread is kinda on a downward spiral right now...which is normal for these types of threads.

Dec 10, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #56 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by PooJou
again, this depends on the person, personally i prefer to listen to entire albums, or my winamp playlist
smily_headphones1.gif

It's whatever suits you best, you have the pro's and con's here, just choose depending on what YOU want, not what anyone else thinks you should have

Not that I am shooting down your listening habits, but have u ever tried smartlists and such?

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #57 of 121
Quote:

Organization aside, id3 tag DB's are much more flexible...at any time you can view by artists, albums or genres, with file structures you are stuck using one view until you hook up and change your structure.

umm OK. Clearly you misunderstood what I wrote as I said you can do the exact same thing with windows explorer at any time.

Quote:

A lot of the size of the Belkin probably has to do with

Speculation? Indeed. Haha...please tell me you are not judging the size of the speaker by the diameter of the holes on the surface. If so, that's a damn good laugh.

Quote:

Yes, but that reason is to get rid of the added bulk of the firewire connection directly on the iPod...not because adding a line out takes up more space

Yes, that is one reason, but it's not the only reason. Absolutely, no other player has the ability to do more in terms of recording and input output at anywhere and anytime. To even do this with the iPod or any other unit requires either a larger unit or you having to carry along other accessories no?

It's true, you will not use them all the time, but to be able to have them anywhere and everywhere at any time is a plus regardless of whether you need them or not.

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #58 of 121
My 40 GB iPod has closer to 5 hours of battery life than 8 hours. The immediate drawbacks (I've only had it for a few days,) are the that I have to buy a USB2.0 converter, and another AC plug, possibly two.

If the iPod's virtue is its size, why should I carry around the power cord, or have to buy more proprietary add-ons? The ridiculous battery time means I have to charge it at work, so I have to have two AC adaptors and carry the cable, or a separate Apple cable. I currently have Firewire at home, and USB 2.0 all over work. I basically have to buy a second Apple cable to recharge at home and work.

I'd like a generic AC plug, so I can use off-the-shelf adaptors for home, work, and the car.

I'd also like to have at LEAST a generic Firewire interface, but preferably a generic USB2.0 port.

I love the interface, even though the buttons are too sensitive. The playlists and sorting is nice. iTunes is ok, but I'd prefer a folders approach, with an option to parse the folders and build a DB when I want to, not every single time I want to add a song.

I see the iPod as an extremely ergonomic player with very little practicality for my needs. I'm sure it fits others', however.

Dec 10, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #59 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by SpoonMan
Not that I am shooting down your listening habits, but have u ever tried smartlists and such?

yeah mate has a 30gig ipod... smartlists are ... ok. i guess, but as i said, i prefer to listen to either one list OR full albums (i got a lot of them)

Guess me being a winamp person is like that
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2003 at 4:12 AM Post #60 of 121
Quote:

Originally posted by Redefine
You do know the iHP has an internal recorder? Check this out...try to put that Belkin Voice recorder inside the iPod... haha
evil_smiley.gif
I find it extremely funny you criticize others for exaggerating when you yourself are guilty of the same.

Before you flame, you might want to learn a little about the topic. Or at least use some common sense. (Pardon the tone, but you asked for it.)

The "recorder" part of the Belkin Voice Recorder is simply a tiny microphone. The actual recording and processing are done inside the iPod. The size of the Voice Recorder as a product is due to (1) the fact that it requires connections to the headphone jack and the remote control jack -- things that wouldn't be needed if the mic was internal; (2) the fact that it has to have a useful form factor in order to market it as a product; and (3) it has a speaker on it. Take away the speaker, the external connectors and their internal circuitry, and the entire casing, and you're left with a tiny microphone and a couple of wires. (And in case you're thinking of accusing me of "speculation" like you did Daffy, I've actually seen the inside of one.)

Quote:

There's a good reason as to why the iPod comes with a Dock that has outputs on it instead of in the player.

There is a good reason: because the dock connector provides more possible options than simply choosing to put a headphone jack and a line-out jack, and maybe even a record-in jack, on the unit. Via one small connector, the iPod currently has available connectors for charging/power, FireWire, USB, line-out, and headphone out. From what I've heard, the dock connector also has a lot more options, but Apple is being very secretive about them. Criticize it for being "proprietary," but it's also flexible.

Quote:

Can we say "where the hell did you mention market research in that post?"

Here the hell
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

If you actually see some of the market research that goes on around this issue, people generally say they want long battery life, but when you actually ask them how long they use their portable music player, most people respond with answers like "a couple hours at a time."

Quote:

Gimme a break guy.

How about you give everyone else a break? You're clearly not very informed about this topic and are just here to argue and to try to "prove" someone wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back