IRiver iMP250 and RioVolt SP250
Dec 2, 2001 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mallow005

100+ Head-Fier
They're the same thing aren't they? I found a website that said RioVolt rebadged the iMP 250s as the SP250, look EXACTLY the same too, so I'm guessing it's true..

Dec 2, 2001 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 13
There are differences:

Why iRiver is a better choice:

Better color scheme, better carrying case, better included earbuds (they look really nice and sound OK, but most people on this board have their own pair of better headphones anyway), it gets firmware updates weeks before RioVolt, it actually ships with an LCD remote.

The only con is that it costs more ($215 at mpwiz.com)

-eru

Dec 2, 2001 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 13
The cdp has games???
eek.gif

Dec 2, 2001 at 11:50 PM Post #6 of 13
yup, so far it has Tetris and Snakybyte (similar to Nibbles for a Ti83-84,etc.). Pretty good games and when you have nothing to do besides listening to music, then maybe you can play them!

-eru

Dec 3, 2001 at 4:04 AM Post #7 of 13
well, I really don't care about the color since it's going to be inside, are you saying that the RioVolt doesn't come with an LCD remote?? And games don't matter to me.. I found it for 160 shipped so that's kinda worth it.

Dec 3, 2001 at 11:44 AM Post #8 of 13
Not only does RioVolt not come with an LCD remote, it also comes with a pretty mediocre carrying case compared to that of the iRiver. For starters, there is no place to store the remote or headphones on the RioVolt while there is a convienient mesh pouch in the iRiver one to store things.

-eru

Dec 3, 2001 at 1:21 PM Post #9 of 13
My local Best Buy is selling Rio SP250 for $149 and I have 10% preferred customer discount this coming weekend, this seems to be a really good price. I was wondering how it performs as a CD player vs usual suspects like Pan CT470. Primary use will be for CD format vs MP3 playback, and I will use line out to headphone amp when listening at home. I noticed it has remote and user adjustable equalizer. It is physically bigger/thicker than Pan CT470, I do like the bigger LCD display with more info.

Any thoughts?

Dec 3, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 13
you're getting it for a good price. On a slanted note, I just got my bill from mpwiz.com today -- $226.25 -- where did that $1.25 come from? oh well

-eru

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:58 PM Post #11 of 13
The SP250 doesn't perform very well as a normal audio CD player. There are a couple of big disadvantages:

* The headphone out is not very clean. Even when the unit is paused, you can hear a background hiss.
* The line out is not very clean, because it's not a true line out. For example, EQ and volume settings have an effect on the line out.
* It inserts slight pauses between CD tracks, even if there were none originally.

For regular CD playback, I'd recommend a Panasonic. I have an SL-CT780, which sounds much cleaner, even through the headphone out.

Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
My local Best Buy is selling Rio SP250 for $149 and I have 10% preferred customer discount this coming weekend, this seems to be a really good price. I was wondering how it performs as a CD player vs usual suspects like Pan CT470. Primary use will be for CD format vs MP3 playback, and I will use line out to headphone amp when listening at home. I noticed it has remote and user adjustable equalizer. It is physically bigger/thicker than Pan CT470, I do like the bigger LCD display with more info.

Any thoughts?

Dec 4, 2001 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 13
I agree that the line out is not 'clean' on the Iriver2 but with the EQ set flat and used in conjunction with my Etymotics 4S and Airhead amp, the player is not that bad - the noise issue is greatly reduced and the sound quality is very close to my Panasonic 570 and Sony D-915.

When used as a portable with 888's, the player does have a nice output and, when out and about, the line noise really isn't a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back