iRiver iMP-400 SlimX review
May 30, 2003 at 1:58 AM Post #2 of 21
It's the best CD/MP3 player on the market right now.

Jun 1, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 21
Most people, including myself agree that there is an audable hiss comming from the headphone output. It can't be heard, although, when music is being played.

And it has low battery life with redbook casue it has so many features. But that doesn't bother me, I'm always charging mine.

Jun 1, 2003 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 21
hrmm whitebread, i cannot hear any hiss with my imp-400's headphone out. seriously.

i've even tried swapping around the headphones. nope. nada. zilch.

heh maybe i got a 'golden sample'. those of you into video cards would know what i mean.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 21
It is possible that you did get a golden unit, but when I first got my unit I didn't hear any hiss. After a while of critical listening, I could notice the hiss. It's not very audiable but it is there. Maybe after some time and burn in you will hear it also. Not to try and make you feel bad or anything
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 21
hey, adhoc, i don't think we're talking about overclocking the core here,
smily_headphones1.gif
(although my GF2MX can get up to 206MHz.... not bad for base speeds of 175). I know the iMP-350 had many complaints about the background hiss. I haven't heard much about the 400, but I guess it hasn't changed since people are starting to complain about it now.

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 21
ok, so i went back to try to listen for a hiss. this time i took all precautions to isolate myself from all possible noise. i sat in the most quiet room in my house and wrapped my head with a towel. these are my findings. a mp3 cd was inserted and the 'stop' button was pressed once to enter 'total track' mode. listening times were a minute each. the internal batteries were fully charged before conducting the test.

mx500s with foam covers: a slight 'whine' at times. it faded in and out.

mx500s without foam covers: a slight 'whine' at times. it faded in and out.

px200s: nothing

generic sony: nothing

results: inconclusive. i would have thought that the sonys would also have had a whine due to them being equally low impedance earphones too, but strangely, the trend did not follow through. how odd. i dont really know what to make of it myself.
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2003 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 21
I get no hiss outta my 400. Very happy with it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2003 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 21
It has a kinda rotary volume control. You move a small wheel on the remote to the left or right depending on weather you want to lower or increase the volume. But this wheel only goes so far. You have to hold the wheel to change the volume. You'll see a scale pop up on the remote screen showing you the volume on a scale from 0 to 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back