Iriver imp-350 battery and firmware questions?
Mar 16, 2006 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Blooze

100+ Head-Fier
I picked up an imp-350 today and since this is the first thing I've used with rechargables except for my cell phone I was wondering if someone might help me out with how to best take care of the batteries. I see the remote has 3 settings on it -charge, discharge and charge, and quit. Could someone please explain when it's best to use which function as the manual really doesn't explain it well? FWIW this player will be used with the wallwart probably 99% of the time since I'll be using it with my SOHA amp. Very, very little use with the batteries, but I don't see any reason to ruin them through my own lack of knowledge.

Also, it has v2.02 firmware on it and would it be beneficial to upgrade to the last version they have left on the US website for this CDP, v2.3 or 2.8 on the international site?

Thanks for helping this newb out.

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 4
I recommend upgrading to the latest firmware on the American site. If the newer firmware is unstable just go back to an older version. The international firmwares may or may not be stable. Don't know.

As for the batteries... They are the Ni-MH stick ones right? Well anyhow you should charge the batteries when you need and only discharge the batteries completely once every month or so.

If you are using the power adapter mostly I would recommend keeping the batteries outside of the iMP-350. This precaution will protect the batteries from overcharge.

Also if you are not using the batteries for some time make sure to not store the batteries in extreme temperatures. When you are using the battery after a month or more of no use be sure to recharge the battery. Over time Ni-MH batteries will lose their charge even when not in use. Be sure to recharge and discharge a few times if, after not using the batteries for a month or more, the battery does not hold a charge well.

Mar 17, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 4
Thanks. I believe that v2.3 is the highest on the US site. V2.8 US version is the highest on the international site.

The batts are the stick ones. So if I choose the "discharge and charge" option it will completely discharge the batteries then charge them, correct? So just running the CDP until it powers off due to low power doesn't completely discharge the batteries I'm assuming? If I just choose "charge" at power off then it will top the batteries off. Will this in fact cause a memory effect over time as in cell phone batts rendering the charge holding capacity of the battery virtually nil?

Sorry for so many questions.

Mar 17, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
Thanks. I believe that v2.3 is the highest on the US site. V2.8 US version is the highest on the international site.

The batts are the stick ones. So if I choose the "discharge and charge" option it will completely discharge the batteries then charge them, correct? So just running the CDP until it powers off due to low power doesn't completely discharge the batteries I'm assuming? If I just choose "charge" at power off then it will top the batteries off. Will this in fact cause a memory effect over time as in cell phone batts rendering the charge holding capacity of the battery virtually nil?

Sorry for so many questions.

So I say just upgrade to Version 2.3 on the US Site.

You are correct if you choose the "discharge and charge" option it will completely discharge the cells. And yes running the batteries dead by normal use does not completely discharge the cells. Also the "charge" feature will only charge the batteries and not discharge before recharging.

I have read a lot about memory effect and from experience and reading there is not such thing as memory effect. It is myth. And even if there is some truth to it, it is a VERY minute effect. Ni-MH batteries last for over 500 charges. After 500 charges or so the rechargeable cell will not hold its charge well. You say you are only use the batteries sometimes, so the batteries will be sure to last you 2-4 years no problem. Basically don't worry about memory effect.

P.S. Those that are really concerned about memory effect like to discharge their cells once a month. This is said to help the battery maintain longer charges. But I don't notice a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back