iRiver iHP owners: Tell me the bad
Mar 20, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by roll-man

2. The unit emits a high pitched whine from the top of the player if you put your ear up to the area where the headphone/line/optical out is. It's really no big deal because you can't hear it through the headphones when music is playing.

if you mean the sound of HD then you are correct chief.

Mar 20, 2004 at 2:53 AM Post #17 of 34
I really like my IHP but I have a few beefs:

SQ is okay, but very forward-sounding with little soundstage (which is good for a portable I guess, just gets on my nerves otherwise) and high treble, which makes the music sound weird if you listen closely

Everything plays in alphabetical order (folders and tracks are set up this way, have to add a number to tracks sometimes to get them to play in order)

Browsing through files in the file tree with the stick gets repetitive and somewhat annoying

Reading text is a hassle because you have to return to the text folder (you default to the folder of the song you're playing when you exit a text doc) to open up another text file

The sound of the line out isn't too different than that of the h. out, it does sound slightly little better (dynamics, soundstage pretty much the same) but the h. out has less treble

Although, I do like the remote a lot, and the black is nice. And it displays kanji, which is good considering I listen to 95% japanese, chinese, and korean (I don't know what korean characters are called). Overall a good portable player.

Mar 20, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #18 of 34
Time for me to chime in I guess.

So far, all I've seen is people saying what they personally don't like about the player whether the problem be associated with the way they're going about using it or not. This IMO, is a pretty bad way to go about picking out what may be bad, because these are things that others may totally disagree with, or even find a way to correct the OP about because they weren't aware of the "other side of it".

Let me start by saying what the REAL bad things about the IHP are and what you already know...(which boils it down to what you're willing to put up with or not)

1) Some older models came with a remote which cause a VERY faint ticking sound when scrolling through the menu. Recent buyers are saying they are hearing no such thing and it's known that there are two different models available. The one with the ticking has no screws on the chassis, and is taken apart with a slight wedge of a flat head screwdriver. The newer one, has micro screws and can't be pried apart. But I honestly can say, that the ticking thing has been blown way out of proportion. people love to whine. I have a "ticker", and it's hardly anything to talk about. It does not affect the music unless you have the hearing of superman.

2) The line out is NOT a true line out. I know this has been beaten to death, but I've recently been talking to Xin, and because of the discussions I've been having with him, I understand what's going on with the board of the IHP now. Long story, so if you want to know the explanation, you'll have to visit Mistic River soon. I haven't put up the thread which explains it yet, but I may do it this weekend. It's interesting stuff.

With that said, this does not mean that the sound quality is an issue. Matter of fact, I only use the line out now, without an amp using my Sony V6's. granted, an amp would make a big difference, but the line out is supplying more juice than the HP out because of the capacitors on the H out...(that's a big key right there.) Still, a true line out would have been the way to go.

3) The player boasts 32 MB worth of memory, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell so much of the memory is being used for. IMO, the buffering system is not as efficient as it could be. At most, with songs which average 6-7 MB, the HD buffers about 4 songs. I know that memory is used for the firmware etc, but it seems weird to me that more memory isn't allocated for the HD to buffer songs.

4) In keeping with the Buffering, there's something in the FW code, which keeps the power going to the HD making the platters spin until a song is selected. Upon this event, the songs are buffered, and the HD spins down and the heads park. Just seems to me that the former part could be prevented. Not the biggest deal in the world though..I usually get around 14 hours with normal shuffling, and browsing etc...Letting it play straight through, I DO get 16 hours.

5) The Queue up feature is more a waste of battery juice than it is a useful feature. Because your songs have been pre buffered, if you choose to queue a song, the buffer is no longer in effect because it has to now buffer those songs which are calculated to follow the now chosen song. Stupid that.

6) The ergonomics of the LCD remote are utterly ass backwards. (literally). The alligator clip CAN be turned around, but the cords are still all buggered. Definitely not stream lined design. I managed to sort it out though. I keep it clipped on my backpack and have some weird arrangement that keeps things tidy.

Other than those inherently "bad" things, (which I think are minor) all the other stated issues are entirely subjective. I personally don't care much about on the go playlists. When I'm en-route, I'm usually um..what's that thing associated with travelling..aah..Oh yeah..Moving ! So whatever for on the go messin' round. Smart playlists would be cool. The Karma has a nice mix feature that I'd love to have, but as the saying goes, ignorance is bliss.

Now to clear some things up:

Quote:

SQ is okay, but very forward-sounding with little soundstage (which is good for a portable I guess, just gets on my nerves otherwise) and high treble, which makes the music sound weird if you listen closely

This vary's with different headphones. The IHP's sound quality is headphone dependent. Which IMO, is a great thing. Put on some ****ty cans, and you'll hear ****. Put on some nice cans and you'll be like...wholly crap ! I'd rather have this than a player that makes all headphones sound the same. The IHP enables your cans to tell it as it is. That of course goes for the quality of your encodings too.

Quote:

Everything plays in alphabetical order (folders and tracks are set up this way, have to add a number to tracks sometimes to get them to play in order)

Well of course it does unless you're using the data base mode. Files are stored and arranged as they would be as if in Windows Explorer. Only using tags will it recognize the album as it is. And anyway, when albums are ripped properly, the track number is usually included as part of the parameter scheme...so unless you're ripping without this, yeah, you'll have to re tag your music with a program like the godfather or something. Not a major catastrophe IMO.

Quote:

Browsing through files in the file tree with the stick gets repetitive and somewhat annoying

Repetitive yes. But what do you expect it to be ? Browsing in any other fashion gets to be repetitive too. Annoying ? You must be browsing an awful lot to be getting annoyed by it, or you must have tons of artists with the same first initial ...I've never gotten annoyed.

Quote:

Reading text is a hassle because you have to return to the text folder (you default to the folder of the song you're playing when you exit a text doc) to open up another text file

If you keep a single file at the root level with the .mp3 or .ogg extension, (I keep a 200 kB file there) you'll always return to the root screen rather than the first artists folder. It was stupid of Iriver to have it be this way, but the single track does the trick.

Quote:

The sound of the line out isn't too different than that of the h. out, it does sound slightly little better (dynamics, soundstage pretty much the same) but the h. out has less treble

I've found that the opposite of this is true. I never use the H out anymore with my V6's. The overall volume is increased, and the detail is emphasized more along with the soundstage. The thing is, this is dependent on the cans that are being used. Cans that have a low impedance actually sound worse on the line out because the output is too much for them to handle, thus, distortion occurs at medium to high volume levels. The line out was still made to be used with an amp. Keep that in mind. Best results are achieved at the IHP's full volume when using an amp.

So Austin, you already know of all the issues people have with the IHP, but AFAIC, these opinions are not shared by some common collective. I can't find fault in the IHP for what it does and what I expect out of it. Do I wish it had gapless..**** yes. Do I wish it had smart playlist features ? Sure. do I want a different UI ? Not really. I like the current one because it serves its purpose...I'm not trying to impress the ladies with my GUI fashion sense. The navigation nubbin', as I like to call it, does a good job at getting me where I need to be and fast enough for me not to be agitated.

Don't know what else to say. It's all about what you consider to be priority. If you must have gapless then don't get it. If you must have smartlists or playlists on the go, don't get it. Want Flac ? Right...don't get it.

Let me just say though, as I've said so many times before. It has been a solid player from day one. Not one HD lock up, freeze or crash. Excellent sound quality, feels good to hold, is nice to look at, and fun to play with. I don't think that the recording features are useless...they can in fact be very useful. I could go on, but I'd just be bragging. So [/done]

S.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #19 of 34
Sweet Spot, thanks much for clearing some things up.

I guess the most glaring "issue" is the lack of a on-the-fly playlist, which many people consider very important. Funny how it outdoes most every other player on the market in terms of features, but it lacks one of the most basic. Nearly all modern-gen players support onboard playlisting. Even the Dell DJ I got today can do it... while its more simplistic than an iPod.

Mar 20, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #20 of 34
I totally agree. Though based on quality alone, the IHP is a great player, this says nothing for the Iriver staff who sit with their heads burried up their asses. There's always been some questiion as to whether or not the Iriver sw devs really care about the markets they claim to cater to outside of Korea and Japan. Personally, I find it really insulting that they would peddle their wares without even thinking about what what other markets consider to be useful in a product.

All that needs to be done really, is a bit of research, to see that people outside of Asia don't give a rats ass about stupid Kareoke features/lyric support. What kills it though, is that they have such a fine player, capable of so much more..and people see this, and buy their players hoping that they'll get their advertised "firmware upgrades" etc. Now, I'm not complaining. I knew exactly what the IHP did and did not do before I bought it. But at the same time, I can't help feeling pissed that they'd spend months working on screw*G LYRIC SUPPORT RATHER THAN SOMETHING USEFUL !! They supposedly have support in the USA. They also definitely release different fw versions based on language. So, let them hire programmers in Each of the countries that they pimp their players out to, and create firmware according to what the people of that region want ! DUH Iriver..you have a freeking international forum...you should visit it at least once a year to see what's going on...morons.

Sorry. I get so worked up when I think about how idiotic these people are. That's the one thing I love about the Riovolution forums. Even if the engineers aren't "official" Rio spokes persons, they still do represent them to a degree. And it's really nice to see that they interact with the forum members if even to tell them the most minor of things...it's more than I see people getting out of any other company. Communication is key...and Iriver gets a big FAT F in that dept.

Customer service though...strangly enough, is pretty good...go figure ? It's so bizarre !

Mar 20, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #21 of 34
I don't think it's a matter of them being idiotic, just cultural differences. Silly little features like lyric support may sell units in Korea and Japan, I don' t know. I agree that I don't consider it to be a particularly useful feature either. The engineers for the company are all in Korea, and apparently don't talk to the American support people (which as far as I can tell consist entirely of one guy named Raul). Still, they really should do a bit more market research in the US and Europe to see what are important features here. They certainly sell enough of them here to make it worth their while.

Mar 21, 2004 at 12:42 AM Post #22 of 34
austonia, I don't know what your choice will be, but make it quick! The 50$ rebate off the iHP-140 is only good if you by before the 21st, which is in uh.. a couple of hours
smily_headphones1.gif

I want a review, and I guess God wants one too
wink.gif

Quote:

7) Amazon made the choice for me? What happend to Free Will?

Mar 21, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by JiPi
austonia, I don't know what your choice will be, but make it quick! The 50$ rebate off the iHP-140 is only good if you by before the 21st, which is in uh.. a couple of hours

hey yeah, thanks for reminding me. I don't really need the iHP-140, but I ordered it anyway.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #24 of 34
Not to start any trouble here, but I don't think the IHP is too headphone dependent. I've used the stock buds, senn mx300s, crappy sony buds, ety 4Ps, and beyer dt880s, amped and unamped, for long periods of time. All had fairly the same sonic signature, give or take. Still in my opinion, the player has a little too much treble for my preference. (I doubt it's my hearing, the doctor said it was great, albeit I don't think I can hear lower frequencies too well in my left ear) Just voicing my opinion.

Mar 21, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #25 of 34
I have to agree with Kirosia about that.

I believe the IHP has a signature sound of it's own (through the HP out at least.) I've tried my Ety's with the IHP, as well as the V6's and the PX200's, and really have only prefered the Ety's. I know that that's my preference, but the others to me exhibited an "almost overbearing" low end , while to me, the 4P's sound INCREDIBLE. Given the fact that some people find the Ety's to be bass shy, to me this makes some sense.

Having said that, again I find the Ety4P's with the IHP to be one of the best overall portable sounds I've found yet, but I still reach for the IPod more often. (no specific reasons for that, I just do).

SS turned me on to the V6/line out idea. It sounds great, but I get a faint scratching sound with some music when I do that, so I stopped.

Mar 21, 2004 at 1:15 PM Post #26 of 34
well, price is back to $499 and it still says "Lowest Price of the Season" ?

$370 after rebate seemed reasonable to me, considering it's the only other player on the market with a 40gb, 1.8" drive aside from iPod which is $100 more.

Mar 21, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Kirosia
Good luck austonia, hope you like it.
biggrin.gif

thanks, I'm sure I will.

Primarily, I wanted one DAP that has file/folder based navigation. All my other DAP use an iD3 tag database, which is generally more efficent. Most of my MP3 collection is full albums, properly tagged. But my old stuff (Napster, pre-Napster) is just mixes sorted into directories, many of them missing accurate artist or album or titles. So, for these, I wanted a player like the iHP. The only other choice for folder/file navigation is Archos, but I'm not a fan of thier designs. Xclef is another alternative but the HD800 isn't available in the US yet. Rob is bringing one over where he visits and I can see how it fairs vs. the iHP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back