iRiver iHP-120 right for me?
Jul 13, 2004 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Leoml88

Head-Fier
I like the idea of it, I've used it and the screen is so nice.

I'm a musician in orchestra so its nice to make recordings just to hear how I sound (would this be a voice recording or in-line recording or what? I want it just to hear myself play, not for some full orchestra rehearsal or anything)

I really have no idea what line-in or optical-in recording is, and will not be using this too much; although I have a few vinyls, which I'm guessing u can record with line-in.

I'm starting to lean towards the idea of a file navigation system, cuz I have some files how I like them.

on-the-fly playlisting would be nice. I heard there will be a firmware update or something.

Right now, the only two things holding me back are that I hear the startup is slow. I have around 2.5gb of music, but its growing fast, so I don't think I'll have to worry to much about it. Also, I hear they are not doing a good job with their firmware.

btw, since this is a headphones forum, I'm planning to get a DAP and get some Sony MDR-EX71SL in-ear headphones. They are around $30.00 on amazon.com and I don't want to spend any more than that, so this seems to be the best option, but I'm open to recommendations.

Jul 14, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 24
Leoml88,

I was in the same boat you are and after copious amounts of research, I jumped at the H120 when they arrived at my local BestBuy. I am a classical pianist and mainly use my recording feature to capture inspirations for later notation. I also use it to record my performances and practice sessions for later review and critique.

The screen is not as bright or lively as the new color models (H300 series), but it's also not as thick as the color units and it's $329 retail, cheaper than the color ones. Also, I figure that while the H300 series have color screens, can take images from a compatible digital camera on-the-go (usb to usb connection), and it can display the images, I am using this for music and as a hard drive for transferring files on a network and not as an image viewer.

I have experienced good results recording with the included external microphone, though it takes some tweaking to adjust the recording volume to your preference as there is no way to change the recording level while you are recording; it must be set before the recording.

The line-in is usable for analog or optical, depending on what your connection to your other device is. For vinyls, use a simple analog audio cable (male to male). For me, I migrated from recording with a minidisc recorder, so I can use my optical out/in ports on the H120 and my old minidisc recorder to transfer audio info at a (relatively) higher quality than simple analog audio. It's all in the capabilities of your device.

The H120 has both a database search (by artist, name, genre, etc.) and a file folder navigation option. To be honest, unless you have a meticulously maintained ID3 tag system (the information included in MP3 files holding artists, copyright info etc), the file folder option is much quicker and intuitive. What I do is something like this: the folder in the root directory contains genres like CLASSICAL, ROCK, etc. Under each folder is an artist/band such as DEBUSSY, followed by a folder containing the CD I ripped such as the Philippe Entremont Debussy Recital, followed by the track number and name ("01 - Deux Arabesque I").

On-the-fly playlisting would be nice, BUT I would much like the option to delete files on the fly more. I heard that there might be a firmware update too, but I am pretty satisfied with my 120 as it is for now (too busy listening to music
smily_headphones1.gif
)

CRITIQUES

To begin with, the start-up is slower than say a Zen (which is wider than the H120- don't like that...) but the process is much faster if you go into the menu (don;t press in a particular direction but press and hold down joystick until menu appears) and select database scan OFF. To give you an idea, I have filled about 17 gigs of music and the startup takes about 8 seconds or so.

Secondly, the very fact that iRiver is working on firmware updates on past equipment like the H120 when the color models are out is impressive. Also, iRiver has released a few firmware updates since the release of the H120's, including adding more robust features to their OGG VORBIS codec support. While many are impatient about firmware updates, I count them as a bonus, since companies like SONY seem to forget about developing patches let alone firmware updates for their older devices a few months after they are launched.

I used the MDR-EX71SL's and found the microphonics unbearable. Every time I walked or moved, the cord would brush against something and make noise. I'm all for alternative methods of making rhythm and music, but not when I am in the mood to enjoy others' works. Plus, the buds didn't fit well in my ears. They were returned as fast as I could get them back to the store.

I got a set of SONY HEARs series for working out since they have loops that go around your ear lobes and hold them in place unlike conventional earbud designs. For my upcoming plane trip and for general studying, I purchased the 20.99 pair of SONY MDR-V150's. They were less expensive than their silver counterparts ($49.99) and they don't fold up as the $49 pair does, but hey, I am saving for some Etymotics myself. These have a nice vinyl/leathery feel to them instead of foam, so they might last longer. Accoustically, I am sure they are not as good as their more expensive brethren, but I have used earbuds most of my life (sound quality took a back seat to portability) and I am impressed with their greater isolation (they are on-ear headphones) and tend to be more bassy. The mids kind of slide into the weaker highs, but this is the first day I have used them. More on them to come as I get used to them (can't forget to use the burn-in process).

More information can be found at http://misticriver.net/

Anyways, I hope this was helpful to you. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Now, I'm off to enjoy some music...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 24
The best DAP for live recording, hands down, is the Nomad Jukebox 3 by Creative. No other player can come close to its recording capabilitites. Its only real drawback is is size. Its quite a bit bigger than the latest players out there. It is one of the best sounding, however. Finally, it does make on the fly playlists and you can delete file right on the machine as well.

Line in = analog source recording
Line in (optical) = digital source recording (optical out)

As for the Sony earphones you mentioned, I would council against them. They are muddy, boomy, and provide little clarity and detail. And as iriverdrownsipod mentions, the microphonics are terrible.

There are several low cost alternatives:

Koss KSC-50 or 55 (ear clip and behind the head (streetstyle) options)
Sennheiser PX100 - open standard headphone (small portable though)
Sennheiser MX500 - ear buds, which are cheaper and better sounding than the Sonys
Koss Portapros - standard, fairly portable
Grado SR60's - standard but bigger than the rest

There are more options, but those are some of the popular ones.

For good canal phone like the ex71's, you will have to spend quite a bit more money. But if you want to spend the cash, check out Shure and Etymotic models if that is the style of headphone you want. They are worth the investment.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 24
"The line-in is usable for analog or optical, depending on what your connection to your other device is. For vinyls, use a simple analog audio cable (male to male). For me, I migrated from recording with a minidisc recorder, so I can use my optical out/in ports on the H120 and my old minidisc recorder to transfer audio info at a (relatively) higher quality than simple analog audio. It's all in the capabilities of your device."

whoah. Hold on. All I said was the features would be nice, mainly for me being a musician. I have no clue what the heck an analog audio cable is, or what male to male is. Is this stuff included in the manual?

I don't need a Nomad Jukebox 3 for recording features. And besides, its way to bulky for my needs.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 24
I'm looking for those type of earbuds at that price. I'm not going to spend any more than $30 because I don't believe its necesarry and all these cans that are $100 and up are overrated and aren't worth it.

And what are microphonics?

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 24
i've got an iHP-120 and I find it great. There are 3 ways to record from it.

1) from a built in mic (what you're thinking I guess)
2) from an external mic (plugged into the line in of the player...same plug as headphones. the iriver comes with it's own small external clip-on mic)
3) from an external source (this is what iriverdrownsipod was doing with his vinyls...basically you get a cord with a "headphone" style plug on each side, and you can route music from one player to another)

as for headphones, i'm pretty new to the field myself but the KSC-35s are supposed to be one of the best values at under $40. That and mx-400s (which I heard are pretty similar to the bundled earbuds with the iriver) are pretty cheap and high quality as well.

Microophonics is related to "canalphones" which are earpieces that you basically stick into your ear like an earplug. This gives the sensation as if you had you fingers in your ear (only music is pumping in as well hehe). Basically one of the downsides of this headphones style is that any small vibration in the cable will transmit itself to your ear and you'll hear it. This happens more with some canalphones than others. I personally have the EX71s and find them great for mowing the lawn/plane flights, but i haven't done anything like jogging with them so I wouldn't be able to comment much on the microphonics issue. Hope that helps.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 24
o. btw, I have the MDR-V150s and I highly recommend them if you are looking for good headphones at a cheap price. The only problem is a super long cord that makes it not very practical for working out and school. I use it for my computer, and since I know sony makes great quality headphones, I was thinking of getting the EX-71s since I'm looking for some premium earbuds at a low price.

Jul 14, 2004 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 24
Look. I'm pretty much set on canal phones, so unless you can tell me any other nice ones for less than $50, than I think I'm going with the ex-71s. That have had very high feedback.

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leoml88
o. btw, I have the MDR-V150s and I highly recommend them if you are looking for good headphones at a cheap price. The only problem is a super long cord that makes it not very practical for working out and school. I use it for my computer, and since I know sony makes great quality headphones, I was thinking of getting the EX-71s since I'm looking for some premium earbuds at a low price.

I had the mdr-150s (I gave them to my gf) and while they do the job, they are not "good" headphones. They are headphones that give you sound for $20. I agree with you that some of the upper end cans are "overrated" as far as they are waaaaay to expensive, but they quality of those expensive cans are noticeable; hence the price premium. From the mdr-v150s I moved to the sennheiser 212pro's. Sound was superior to the sonys. On top of that, the sony's were very uncomfortable when worn for long periods of time. The 212's were easier to break-in comfort wise. I then moved to the sennheiser HD580s for excellent sound and comfort. I can honestly say that they were worth every penny because they sound great and I can wear them for hours comfortably.

I am not trying to attack you, but as a college student on a budget who has gone through a similar phase where I thought paying over $100 for headphones was ridiculous and I wanted to say that it is worth looking into a bit better set of cans if you are serious about quality. If you want canalphones and want to stay below $100, look into the shure E2's. They come with a great 2year warranty. As a last note, I am pretty sure that my friend has those EX-71s and they work. I used them for an evening and for the money I agree that they are a solid buy.

As far as the DAP is concerned, get it from BestBuy as they have a 30 day return policy, even on opened products.
wink.gif
Enjoy.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 24
look. I understand that more expensive cans like etys are better sounding, however, whats more important to you, great sound, or being able to drive? I'm a sophomore in high school who is saving for a car. Who needs to pay tons of money for something when for loads less, you can still get some decent headphones?

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 24
Actually you are quite wrong about Sony headphones, for me they are low quality headphones.

They are only trying to say that may be a pair of MX500 that are actually 15 dollars or may be less will sound much better
wink.gif

See you

Jul 14, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 24
Sony headphones are pretty much looked down upon by everyone here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back