iRiver iHP-120 not world friendly..
Dec 14, 2003 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mitebbots

New Head-Fier
I waned to buy the iHP-120 to travel with. Turns out the AC adapter will only work with 110vac in the USA. After contacting iRiver Hong Kong and sending $24, they have sent me 2 adapters, neither that really fit SE Asia well. One would work with even another adapter I guess, it's just too much to carry.

Funny because my razor works anywhere: 110-240v 50-60hz. ny Laptop works anywhere. 100v-240v 50-60hz, but my mp3 player does not?

Their support has been prompt, but they need to make their product world friendly. I'm losing interest..

Dec 14, 2003 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 18
you know they make little outlet adapters you can get at just about any travel store or in the airport itself. they're pretty small too. might wanna give it a shot

Dec 14, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 18
yes, adapters are available, but the iRiver only supports 110vac. I travel light and am not willing to carry an extra tramsformer twice the size of the iRiver to charge it while I travel. MP3 players should work everywhere. i looked at a friends iPod yesterday and it said: 110v-240v 50-60hz on it. iPod battery life is questionable tho.

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 18
you should check the creative zen series. sound quality is superior and battery life is really good. it be cool if it met your operating requirements as well

Dec 14, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

sound quality is superior

So you've tried both? I'm curious since I haven't tried the Zen (but I have had the NJB3 for a while) but IMO my new IHP beats the NJB3 in terms of sound quality. The IHP while more colored, presents a much more lively sound that is more engaging than the NJB3's relatively, well, muddy output. (Its line-out was excellent, though.) Since they're both Creative I was assuming they both sounded alike.

I should go and see what my friend's Zen sounds like.
tongue.gif
Now I'm really curious!

Dec 14, 2003 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 18
Well, it's not really muddy, but in terms of high frequency detail, quite a bit of soundstaging and clarity was lost from the NJB3 through my Ety ER-4P even compared with a direct SB Audigy output. A pretty big difference, actually, and I reached the same conclusion even when compared to my old Panasonic CDPs. I was pretty disappointed. The HF sounded rather colored to me, as well.

Maybe muddy isn't exactly the right term, but definately lacking in soundstaging and vibrancy (?!) due to rolled off or muddled high frequency extension. The Line-out of course didn't suffer from such problems.

Also adding to this a quite substantial BG white noise kind of made the presentation less than stellar.

The IHP definately doesn't suffer from such symptoms, IMO.

Not that the NJB3 sounded bad, it's got great power and oomph and nice lush midrange, but it really wasn't very impressive when it came to HF extension and detail. Hence the "muddy" feeling that I got from listening to it.
wink.gif

Dec 14, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 18
i honestly havnt tried both but ive been doing a lot of research and the general consensus as far as ive heard is that the zen sound quality is awesome

Dec 14, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #9 of 18
Well, thats what you get for living in a place that uses 110vac.... and imperial units... and drives on the wrong side of the road
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm off to malaysia today... and IIRC they use 240vac like the rest of the proper world
smily_headphones1.gif
- will telll you if it works well or not.

</harshness> - btw please people don't go off topic

Dec 15, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Where exactly did you get your IHP?

Because the one I just got here in the U.S. a week ago came with a 110~240V adapter, so that I can practically use it anywhere without a transformer.

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:16 AM Post #11 of 18
Really?? I have not bought it yet because iRiver tells me the adapter is only 110V 60Hz. I spend alot of time where it's 240v 50hz. If this is the case i'm in.

Does that Zen thing have FM?

Dec 15, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mitebbots
Really?? I have not bought it yet because iRiver tells me the adapter is only 110V 60Hz. I spend alot of time where it's 240v 50hz. If this is the case i'm in.

Does that Zen thing have FM?

Zen has no FM. You can get specs at www.NomadWorld.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back