iRiver HD320 went down the toilet, need suggestions for a new one
Dec 20, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by st5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a soft tooth brush and rubbing alcohol to the circuit boards and button assembly. I didn't take apart the button assembly to know what kind of pads they used, but if you post pictures, I can give you some tips on how to clean/repair them. Also, does the remote control the player fine?

ok...the dap didn't take a complete plunge, but it did maybe a half way in sort of dip into the toilet, while it was hanging to the chord of the headphones, i don't use a remote for this, i just go off the player, but the buttons on there don't function right, it's all screwed up, i can turn it on with the ON button, but i cant do anything else really, if i press ON 2 times, it will start playing music, the rest of the buttons are worthless, all the other buttons do the same thing and only one function and that is they somehow got combined and give you the option to "shuffle, repeat" the track and other such modes, the battery looks and charges fine...so i can turn it on and play, but i can't do anything else, i can't even turn it off, i have to wait for it to turn it off itself...i doubt pictures will help, but i took a couple:

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 24
You don't want to use electrical contact cleaner on your iriver. It stains and disolves many types of plastics. Use rubbing alcohol instead. Can you plugin a remote and see if it functions fine? This will tell me if the problem is with your player's keypad or upstream.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

You don't want to use electrical contact cleaner on your iriver. It stains and disolves many types of plastics. Use rubbing alcohol instead. Can you plugin a remote and see if it functions fine? This will tell me if the problem is with your player's keypad or upstream.

unfortunately, i can't as it didn't come with one, when i bought it

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

You don't want to use electrical contact cleaner on your iriver. It stains and disolves many types of plastics.

Some company's formulations are aggressive. However, I've had no problems with this product. I would only be concerned about it fogging the LCD faceplate, and discoloring the wrapping of the battery. If you soaked it for a looong time (which is hard as this stuff evaporates almost immediately) it may make rubber parts brittle. If you avoid those areas (and the harddrive as it is sealed anyways and probably doesn't need cleaning), you should have no problems.

I use this material frequently for cleaning parts of motherboards and removing thermal paste from places it doesn't belong.

Dec 22, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #24 of 24
antiant, using a remote would tell us if the problem is with the keybad or upstream. Besides cleaning the circuit board with it, you should try soaking the keypad in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and using a hair dryer to dry it. The keypad disconnects at ribbon cable. You'll need a small flathead or exacto knife to open the release tab on the connector.

wolfen68, good to know. I know the electrical cleaner sold at autoparts stores completely destroys plastics, discoloring them and making them brittle. I've just grown not to take any chances with the stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back