iRiver H340 question
Feb 16, 2005 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up an iRiver H340 yesterday, after I decided that I wasn't enjoying the somewhat "sterile" sound quality of my 3G iPod.

After puzzling over the manual and the interface on the H340, I managed to get it charged, working and loaded with about 25Gb of MP3-aps files. First impressions are the sound quality over my ER4Ps is noticeably better than the iPod.

I have organised the files in folders as follows: genre>artist>album>track.

However, there seems to be no way to select an entire album to play. I always seem to end up having to select a single track, and then that track repeats endlessly until I manually skip to the next track. I'm sure there must be a way to have the H340 play the entire contents of a folder in sequence - can someone please tell me how?

I also experimented by ripping a track to Ogg and it compared very well to its MP3 equivalent. However, the track runs about 7% faster than the MP3 - any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks for your help.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross
I picked up an iRiver H340 yesterday, after I decided that I wasn't enjoying the somewhat "sterile" sound quality of my 3G iPod.

After puzzling over the manual and the interface on the H340, I managed to get it charged, working and loaded with about 25Gb of MP3-aps files. First impressions are the sound quality over my ER4Ps is noticeably better than the iPod.

I have organised the files in folders as follows: genre>artist>album>track.

However, there seems to be no way to select an entire album to play. I always seem to end up having to select a single track, and then that track repeats endlessly until I manually skip to the next track. I'm sure there must be a way to have the H340 play the entire contents of a folder in sequence - can someone please tell me how?

I also experimented by ripping a track to Ogg and it compared very well to its MP3 equivalent. However, the track runs about 7% faster than the MP3 - any idea what might be going on here?

Thanks for your help.

I own the H320. the only reason I can think of for the track to repeat endlessly, is that you may have it in repeat mode. On the top of the screen about next to where the battery indicator is located, you may see the repeat mode symbol/icon. Press the record button to change the mode until you see no icon, that way all the tracks play in order, without shuffle or repetition. If by any means you want to shuffle change the mode to shuffle dir, and to repeat the album after it played change to repeat dir.
Note: The symbols with Dir (Shuffle Dir/Repeat Dir) have a D next to them.

I hope this does not sound too confusing.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, Mr Iriver! That worked.

Feb 17, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 10
Regarding the discrepancy in speed...I have the iRiver H-120 and you can adjust the speed on it without changing the pitch? Does the H-340 have that feature and if so is it possible that it got set somehow?

Feb 17, 2005 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 10
Not sure if the H340 has that feature, and I don't have the manual with me. However, it's unlikely I would have accidently changed the speed for the one Ogg file I have but not for the MP3s. Also the pitch is a little higher on the Ogg file, as well as the speed, and the track is a minute and a half short (17 instead of 19 minutes). Perplexing.

Feb 17, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 10
maybe it was an encoder related problem with the ogg

Feb 17, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 10
The iRiver H100 and H300 players calculate the displayed song length based on nominal (not actual) bitrate. So if a 6 minute-long song is encoded at q4 [nominal = 128kbps] and the actual bitrate is 64 kbps, the song length will be displayed as 3 minutes. Watch the progress meter, each second should take two seconds to complete.

There should be no change in pitch whatsoever, and the song should take 6 minutes from start to finish.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Feb 17, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for that explanation, Jason. That makes perfect sense.

Feb 17, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 10
so it's just a display bug it seems... i was starting to get worried because i plan to get an iriver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back