Iriver H340 headphone-out problem
Nov 6, 2007 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

StevenBrouwer

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I got a serious problem with my "new" Iriver h340.
When I plug my headphones in de headphone-out the sound is very "empty". When I max sound to one channel (right or Left) the sound is fine for that channel, but when balanced there is hardly any volume. When I put it on mono I can only hear sound very quietly. I think the center channel is broken. Can I fix this?
Or is it something in the software?? (It's not on karaoke mode)

I have installed 1.29kr and Rockbox both have the problem. The line-out works normal though.

I need some help. I can return it, but I think the player is great. I just need this fixed.

Any help is appreciated.
frown.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 7
StevenBrouwer;3416858 said:
Hi,

I got a serious problem (...)

Hallo
I think there is a hardware problem. If Yours headphones works good with other source then Your iRiver missing contact COM "signal" (Vref) - You hear differential signal and phones plays |L-R| both the same (in serial).
Try Line-out slot. Try re-solder phones slot.
Good luck!

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 7
Thx JaroMi for helping me, it's even your 1st post that's very nice!
I guess I have to try that. Though I am no solder hero... but maybe it's just pressing some parts back on place.
I'll update my progress later on...

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 7
the jacks on the 3xx do go. open it up and see if there is a broken solder joint. if not, Gently push back the pins with a pin. if that doesnt work, send me a pm and ill send you a spare 3.5mm jack i have on a broken h340 board.
hope you have some success.

Nov 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Thx for that. I'll keep that in mind. But as it seems now I can return it to iriver for repair, so I first see what can be done there.

I wonder whether are you happy with the Ipod classic?

Because I was choosing between the h340 and the classic. Before I got the Iriver.

Now the h340 line-out is also already quite disappointing to me. I have no doubt the ipod line out sounds even better when connected to my hifi compaired to the h340 line-out.

But what I am really wondering is when using the headphone-out of the H340 and classic, is there much difference? Which you favour and why?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #6 of 7
having not compared the lineouts directly, i was immediately struck by the difference between headphone outputs of the two. the classic clearly sounds better to my ears, deeper, more articulate bass, much more detailed midrange (if a little harsher) and better treble (but more prone to sibilance). the 320 sounded muffled in comparison. the 320 has a MUCH higher output though, and drives my dt770/80/pro very well.
what really swung me though was the form factor, battery life and capacity. that said, i do miss rockbox.

ill do a comparison of the lineouts later for you (when i finish work)

hmmm, i think im gonna keep my 320 now..... im just a bit too sentimental

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 7
Ha nice thanks. I didn't expect that. I think I will go ipod way, at least think about it. A line-out comparision would be nice, but don't make to much effort for me
smily_headphones1.gif
you have been very kind already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back