iRiver H320: still worth it?
Jun 9, 2007 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gp_hebert

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys!

My iAudio X5 battery is almost dead and I'm looking for a new player with a good line-out. I could get a used iRiver H320 with a new battery for around 100$CAD. I've heard this player's hard drive can be upgraded pretty easily, so I'd probably do that. Is this player's still worth the money ?

Jun 9, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #3 of 18
$100 is a steal! the iRiver 1xx & 3xx series is still rated & sought after. I have an iHP120 & I've not regretted buying this now OOP model one bit.
Go to it!

You can always replace the HD if it goes, as you said. But hopefully the HD in the unit you've seen is OK. Used 320s over here go for US$300ish!

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 18
I recommend the Irivers with eyes closed. Awesome line out and the H100 has optical in/out also. The H300 is a very good DAP indeed, but hard to find these days. You may consider a battery replacement in your X5 also.
Keep an eye at misticriver.net for sale forums, every once in a while shows up an Iriver H1xx or H3xx.
Good luck ...

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #8 of 18
Definitely recommended. After Rockbox, both the H120 and H320 are great audio DAPs. Especially, the H120 with its optical line out, but you should know that already from all the previous posts LOL

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 18
Still use my rockbox'd h320 on the commute everyday. It gets atleast 2 hours of listening.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommend the Irivers with eyes closed.

Because if you open your eyes, you realize they're really freakin' ugly.

The H3x0 series without Rockbox is horrid. With Rockbox, it's great... if you like that sort of minimalist techie options-laden thing, which is hardly universal.

Still and all, given how physically ugly it is, how old it is, and the fact that you can Rockbox a lot of players, including the much slicker 80GB iPod, I don't know that I'd hold any special affection for the iRiver. (Sound-quality-wise, it drives headphones like the HD-650 a lot better than the iPod, but the Shure E500 actually sounds better out of the iPod than the iRiver.)

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #13 of 18
I love the looks the the h3x0 series albeit a bit chuky, but the lcd remote, recording features, radio, and line out make it a fun player. When both players have rockbox the only real tanagable advantage with the ipod is capacity imo.

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because if you open your eyes, you realize they're really freakin' ugly.

The H3x0 series without Rockbox is horrid. With Rockbox, it's great... if you like that sort of minimalist techie options-laden thing, which is hardly universal.

Still and all, given how physically ugly it is, how old it is, and the fact that you can Rockbox a lot of players, including the much slicker 80GB iPod, I don't know that I'd hold any special affection for the iRiver. (Sound-quality-wise, it drives headphones like the HD-650 a lot better than the iPod, but the Shure E500 actually sounds better out of the iPod than the iRiver.)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
tongue.gif

I have occasional friendly arguments with my buddy about the aesthetics of my H320...the other day I lent it to someone at the headphone store to let him demo a pair of cans and his first reaction was "Ooh carbon fibre". I had the last laugh that day
biggrin.gif

Looks aside, yes it is a tad chunky but I have never had any regrets buying this DAP.

Jun 18, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #15 of 18
H3xx is a great player...but for the money you're talking (after replacing harddrives), you could buy an H140 off of ebay with a 90 day warranty. Iriver refurbs are being sold by AVSense (iriver's repair contractor) these last 3 weeks and they are nice units.

I bought one as a spare and it is as clean as any one I've seen. Search under "ihp140" or ihp-140"...can't remember which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back