iriver h120 amp noise question
Feb 27, 2006 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ask2

New Head-Fier
Hi all

In my current simple mp3 player setup I am very annoyed by the background noise (white noise) levels.

So I am thinking of going out shopping.

Here is my intended list:

Iriver h120 - line out -
Portable amp DIY (Naqref's Pa-1 with Öhman filter)
AKG 271s

So do anyone think background/white noise will be a problem with this setup. I will listen mostly in rather quiet surroundings at pretty low sound level.

Right now I think white noise is one of the most annoying things in the world
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for any help

JA

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I know the iRiver H120 or H140 are known for their white noise. Now you must take in to consideration that is with use of highly sensitive IEM (In Ear Monitors).

I used my Westone UM2s with the H120 and there is a significant amount of white noise. Also the line out has noise when the UM2s were plugged directly into it. People have reported that with an amp the noise almost completely goes away. I've heard people say with use of the Ray Samuels Audio "The Hornet" the white noise goes away. With other amps I am not sure.

White noise is not a problem on the H120 or H140 with normal headphones with low efficiency. Basically I don't think the K271 will pick up any noise.

Feb 28, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 6
I hear/read on alot of places that the h1xx iriver are discontinued?
I have ordered one from https://www.cyberphoto.se/ but I am starting
to become a bit uncertain when I hear that there are white noise issues. Thats the reason I wanted to upgrade, to get away from problems like that.

So is the iriver h120 discontinued? And if so, how can I buy it from the above source?

I was thinking of running rockbox on it, will that remove the white noise problem?

Will it be better to buy an ipod nano instead? I am thinking mostly sound quality here. If I get the ipod instead it will get a dedicated line out cable to my amp.

I stated above that it will be used with akg 271s but I will also have earbuds of some sort when the bigger phones are to cumbersome

Thanks alot for any help

JA

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #4 of 6
Yes the H120 and H140 are discontinued. It is possible that source does have some available. www.misticaudio.com also has some H120s brand new available.

There's no doubt that the H120 and H140 makes white noise. But with an amp through the line out, some have reported that the white noise is insignificant. Also not all headphones pick up the hiss. I have Sennheiser PX 200 and Koss KSC75. These headphones do not pick up the hiss from my H120. And Rockbox firmware does not fix the white noise problem. It is a hardware problem.

As for the Nano, I am not sure whether or not it hisses. You could either do a search.

What earbuds/earphones would you being taking about? If you are going to be using highly sensitive IEM then it will not pair up well with the H120, for there is a lot of hiss with IEM.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ask2
I ordered the 4gb ipod nano instead. Going to run it with dedicated line out cable to my amp. (and rockbox ofcourse)

/JA

Well have fun with your new Nano!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back