iriver H10! should i buy one? or any other suggestions?
Aug 14, 2005 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

c4rter

New Head-Fier
hi guys.

just wondering if any one had any opinions on this mp3 player the iriver H10 . or if any one would recommend it?

im basically after a mp3 player, about 6gb and a radio. and i need to get a set of decent in ear phones, for commuting. i have about 230 pounds to spend in total.

cheers guys

c4rter

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi I also live in the uk so know what its like for UK user, the expensive is much greater from here than us. I have an ipod mini 4gig (soon to be upgraded) and my older brother has a 5gig H10, personally I prefer the mini but that may just be because ive been using it for a year. I can understand that ipod's arent for everybody and the mini im sure will get an update soon so may not be best to get one currently. For upto 230 I would personally get a larger hd than 6gig, and you can get some small 20gig players out there, im sure the sony's arent much bigger than the H10. Sites that I check on are amazon, advancedmp3players.co.uk, mp3players.co.uk

Hope I could have been some help, if you really want to get a H10 then I would advise trying one out b4 you buy some how.

David

Aug 16, 2005 at 10:52 AM Post #4 of 8
I like the SQ (and the looks
tongue.gif
) of my iRiver H10 but would hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The music-managing software is a pain (and runs only when I login with administrator privileges, trying "run as" option gives an error). You need computer to delete files. No USB recharging even with the cradle, the battery life is so short that carrying a spare bettery is a must. OTOH, now that the battery cover of my iRiver iFP-799 is back in place (took me the better part of two months), I appreciate it more than ever
biggrin.gif

Aug 16, 2005 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfsbane68
I like the SQ (and the looks
tongue.gif
) of my iRiver H10 but would hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The music-managing software is a pain (and runs only when I login with administrator privileges, trying "run as" option gives an error). You need computer to delete files. No USB recharging even with the cradle, the battery life is so short that carrying a spare bettery is a must. OTOH, now that the battery cover of my iRiver iFP-799 is back in place (took me the better part of two months), I appreciate it more than ever
biggrin.gif

The music managing software depends on if you get the H10 in the U.S. or elsewhere. In the U.S., you use Windows Media Player 10 to copy files to the H10 (allowing Janus DRM copyright management), or you can drag-and-drop files using Windows Explorer in MTP mode (media transport protocol), which limits what types of files you can copy where. Units sold outside the U.S. connect in UMS mode (USB mass storage), and come with iRiver Plus software. UMS lets you copy anything anywhere on the H10, but does not support DRM.

The 6GB H10 can definitely charge through the USB port without using any cradle (mine is charging that way now), but you need iRiver's non-standard cable to do it. Don't know if the 20 GB version can do the same.

Aug 16, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 8
The H10 is a big step backwards for iriver. It's bulky, feels cheap and is devoid of any useful features (and it doesn't help that I hate those touch strips). The best player from iriver, imho, are the H100 series players, namely the h120/h140. With the rockbox firmware installed they blow away any player on the market. A close second is the H320/340. The 300 series players don't have rockbox yet, but it's in the works.

The only other player worth mentioning is the iaudio x5 which is also getting rockbox support, but I wouldn't expect that for quite a while.

I've had an h120 now for about 2 years and it still works perfectly. I've beaten the hell out of it- droped it at least a dozen times, leave in in my car on scorching summer days (and freezing winter days)- and it still works perfectly.

I actually prefer my h120 over my x5 atm. It's a phenominal player. I'd steer way clear of the H10, snag an h320 if you can find a decent deal on one.

-BT

Aug 17, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Units sold outside the U.S. connect in UMS mode (USB mass storage), and come with iRiver Plus software. UMS lets you copy anything anywhere on the H10, but does not support DRM.

The problem with files copied via UMS is making playlists afterwards
frown.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
The H10 is a big step backwards for iriver. It's bulky, feels cheap and is devoid of any useful features (and it doesn't help that I hate those touch strips).
-BT

I don't agree. True H10 is taller than say Creative Zen Micro, but it's slimmer and so more pocket friendly. I don't tgink it feels cheap. It has a metal body and to me it appears quite well made as the rest of iRiver players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back