iriver h10: initial review
Feb 1, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #16 of 83
two things are holding me back:

Money, TEAM COLLEGE BUDGET...

The lack of line in internally. They don't supply the dock!!!
eek.gif

Feb 1, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #17 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanos
Hey phatty, is it true the screen completely goes out after the backlight is turned off? Also, how is the screen size compared to the micro? I'm really interested in this player and any feedback would be much appreciated.

Yes, in very bright sunlight you can see the information is there but you cannot read it. So, you must use the backlight at all times to see the screen. Size wise the screen is narrower than the Micro but roughly the same height. The listed size is 1.5" Color TFT 260,000 color.

Information included in the "Now Playing" screen of the H10
  1. Current Time
  2. Battery Indicator
  3. Artist Name
  4. Song Name
  5. Track Number/Total Number of Tracks
  6. Encoding Method (MP3, WMA, WAV)
  7. Progress Bar
  8. Track Time/Total Track Time in Min./Sec.

Hope this helps... Did my first official Battery Test for the H10 yesterday.

Test -
Full Charge (after 10 days of normal every day use)
Volume = 20
Minimal Backlight (only used to check progress, turned on 7 times for 5 sec. each time)
Files - (100) LAME MP3 VBR @160kbps, (21) DRM WMA @ 128kbps
Play Mode - Repeat
EQ - Normal (none)
=========================
2pm - Start (4 Bars)
5:30pm - 1st Check (4 Bars)
11:00pm - 2nd Check (3 Bars)
1:00am - 3rd Check (2 Bars)
2:00am - 4th Check (1 Bar)
2:30am - Player Shut Off

12.5hr Duration
=========================

Now, with 128kbps CBR files and no WMA you should probably be able to squeeze another hour out of it. Not bad and much better than I expected.

Feb 1, 2005 at 1:10 PM Post #18 of 83
The supplied songs on the H10 are 128k cbr mp3. I was surprised that iRiver, given their great sound quality, didnt use a higher encoding rate.

a

Feb 1, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #19 of 83
I listened to the h10 a while ago , and went back to give another listen (with shure e3s) and the battery was dead. The guy at best buy didn't have the cable for the bottom and was trying to charge it through the headphone jack! lol! Anyways, I thought it sounded really good the first time , I was using sony ex71s - not a great set of test cans. But, I can somewhat remember the sound was a little more full and a bigger soundstage than my micro , and the radio was awesome for a portable (reception). I just picked up a ifp 999 and I really like the sound , I can see jmmmmmmm prefering his ifp to the h10
wink.gif

I myself think I will stay with the micro (when I get my new one), because it offsets the open- dynamic sound of the ifp 999 , as it is very detailed and focused . I can see the h10 doing very well though, because of its extras , and the grey looked ace, imho.

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #20 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by phatty
12.5hr Duration

impressive
i'm not sure how i feel about the screen turning off. I often wished this was a feature of players because i know on my computer, turning down the screen massively increases the battery life. It wouldn't be as dramatic for mp3 players, but i think it's a good option. I usually just turn on my mp3 player and stick it in my pocket for a while. I'm not sure if i like it being permanent though... How do you feel about it, phatty. do you think it's a plus or a negative? Have you had any problem with it?

Feb 1, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
impressive
i'm not sure how i feel about the screen turning off. I often wished this was a feature of players because i know on my computer, turning down the screen massively increases the battery life. It wouldn't be as dramatic for mp3 players, but i think it's a good option. I usually just turn on my mp3 player and stick it in my pocket for a while. I'm not sure if i like it being permanent though... How do you feel about it, phatty. do you think it's a plus or a negative? Have you had any problem with it?

I'm used to that since I have an iRiver H340... I don't find it to be a big deal at all as you simply tap the scrollpad and the light comes on.

Feb 2, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 83
I have the mini and H10 as well. The H10 is better in ever in every way. The sound quality of the min has always been flat to me, no matter which EQ was used. The H10 on the other hands is like sex to my ears. Noticably cleaner sound. I love it!!!!!

Feb 13, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #23 of 83
Quick question,

I have an iriver 790 which is unusable because it doesn't support variable bit rate recordings, big problem for me since all my cd's are ripped using alt preset standard. The player randomly restarts at any point during a song, not always at the same point and not always with the same song.

Does the H10 support variable bit rate?

Revan

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 83
I really wanna buy one of these but i have a few questions. I just read that the h10 doesn't play the songs in the order they are numbered but rather alphabetically- is there a way to fix that so it plays them the way the would be on the album? and I also read that you cant delete items once recorded onto the h10. I want something that i can use to record lectures in class and then burn them to a cd and erase from the player so It is no longer taking up space.
and why doesn't the US version come with the iriver programing?...and can you perform the line in fuction that you can with the larger irivers?
any help would be appreciated. thanks

Feb 14, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #27 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by yudhishthira
I really wanna buy one of these but i have a few questions. I just read that the h10 doesn't play the songs in the order they are numbered but rather alphabetically- is there a way to fix that so it plays them the way the would be on the album? and I also read that you cant delete items once recorded onto the h10. I want something that i can use to record lectures in class and then burn them to a cd and erase from the player so It is no longer taking up space.
and why doesn't the US version come with the iriver programing?...and can you perform the line in fuction that you can with the larger irivers?
any help would be appreciated. thanks

if you want to play them by your order you must name songs with numbers in front of them so if the song names are, a, c, d, and b. you must name them 1a,2c,3d,4b so that way the player thinks that its ordering them alphabetically. if its a big problem and you dont care about the color screen or line in check out the zen micro.

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #28 of 83
that's stupid that it doesnt play in order of the way it is meant to be.

i hope they create a firmware to fix it. but knowing iriver, they lie all the time and they dont keep promises on actual firmware release date.

and the h10 is big, length-wise. i gotta touch it at bestbuy also, and i dont think it will be suited for one's pocket, like the micro or carbon. but it is certainly has caught my attention.

when is the h10 going to be released? and can someone give me the exact LxWxH in inches.

the micro is 3.3x2.0x.7 inches. what is the h10?

Feb 14, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveablePuppy
that's stupid that it doesnt play in order of the way it is meant to be.

i hope they create a firmware to fix it. but knowing iriver, they lie all the time and they dont keep promises on actual firmware release date.

and the h10 is big, length-wise. i gotta touch it at bestbuy also, and i dont think it will be suited for one's pocket, like the micro or carbon. but it is certainly has caught my attention.

when is the h10 going to be released? and can someone give me the exact LxWxH in inches.

the micro is 3.3x2.0x.7 inches. what is the h10?

It is stupid that it can't play the songs correctly. I doubt they'll fix it in a firmware update because all the iriver players are like this. If they were going to fix it, they probably would have done it when releasing a new player. Not to mention you can't even update the firmware right now because the US doesn't get the iriver software (which is required for firmware update)

The h10 is slightly bigger than the mini, but not by much. I certainly think it is still easily pocketable. Hell, the regular ipods are pocketable and they are much bigger and heavier.

Weight-- 3.4 oz
Dimensions (W x D x H)-- 2.2 in x 0.6 in x 3.8 in

I think the h10 is a great player, and I would have gotten it if not for the price.

And they are out right now, arent they...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back