IRiver Flash Players : White Noise Problem?
Sep 10, 2004 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

poorimpulsectrl

100+ Head-Fier
On IRiver's forums, many users seem to complain about the IFP-7XX series having a white noise problem during playback. I looked around here and couldn't find any threads on the subject, has anyone here found such a problem with their players?

The IFP-795 has the specs of the player I've been holding out for, but don't want to take the plunge if there is indeed an issue.

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 10
Indeed some have had the problem (and some haven't) but I found a post on the iRiver forum a while back where iRiver claimed that the problem has been resolved in newer batches. Though there's no confirmation on that nor can you know if you get a player from any recent batch. I guess buying the player is a bit risky but if you get a defective player you can always return it and get full refund.

Sep 10, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 10
I had a 799. Clearly white noise (which is spikier and more unpleasant then pink noise).
I also had some clicks and strange bird noises while listening. I suspected the FM-part was bleeding through, but I might be completely wrong. The noise was very audible but in practive when listening to music it didn't bother me, I was less happy about the incidental other artefact, also including skipping tracks and rebooting.
But let me be clear; if you like a very dynamic sound and this player meets your demands (for me no and no), this thing is very good.

Sep 11, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #4 of 10
I own a ifp-795 (or 790? - the 256mb version) and it clearly has the white noise problem, plus it sometimes skips track -- either it'll just stop while playing, restart and jump to the next song, or it'll play a short sinuswave, restart and jump to the next song. Neither iRiver EU, or iRiver int'l respond to emails in which I state my problems.

The sound is amazing thouhg. The bass is very nice. Probably not accurat, but very nice compared to fx the iPod which's on the weak side on bass.

Semi-recommended from me. If you could get one with no problem this would be one of the very damn best flashplayers.
-Rasmus

Sep 12, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HwaRang012
Now's the time to buy, it looks like they've slashed the prices on all their flash players on their site. I'm looking to pick up the 799 myself.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like the player I want is $50 less than most retailers are still listing for. Makes me wonder however if they're trying to clear stock of the players though.

Sep 12, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 10
Actually this is pretty standard practice for iRiver. I remember for their iFP-100 and 300 series they made an initial price cut that stuck throughout the remainder of its life cycle. I don't believe it's any indication that they are clearing their inventory.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 10
white noise: like an empty FM station
Pink noise: softer than white noise -- ie less highs.
brown noise: just ... diffrent. More deep.

I can't think of any others right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back