iRiver e100
Feb 29, 2008 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Xephyr

100+ Head-Fier
Coming to europe

iriver E100 hits Europe - Engadget

There's a 2.4-inch QVGA display, built-in stereo speakers and a microSD slot to supplement the included memory. Audio codec support includes FLAC, MP3, WMA, ASF and OGG, while you can manage MPEG-4, WMV9 and XVID for video. There's also a mic, FM radio and line-in for acquiring audio.

Anyone over in Europe thinking about getting this?? Looks pretty nice, don't know about the SQ but in the end I still wish IRiver would release a HDD player
rolleyes.gif

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Saw the e100 listed on Amazon.uk for sale.
Haven't turned up may particulars for it.
Reportedly supports FLAC, a must.
If it has a line out provision that can be used while powered externally it could be appealing to me.
Anyone know where to get info?

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 19
its extreamly cheap her in europe, 129 euros for the 8gb, that puts it around 50-60 euros below the 3rd gen nano and the sony A818,

the player itself is nice, the screen looks good, you can upgrade it to 16gb with a 8gb MICRO SDHC, the main problem is the battery, its rated 17 hours playing 128kbit mp3, and thats lab conditions, meaning that in reality its 15-14, and i suspect that playing flac or ogg or higher end mp3 (256VBR or 320CBR) the battery life can drop below the 10 or even 8 hour mark,

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 19
Damn, now I may just be excited about this one. Nearly bought the a818 a couple of times recently but this looks good as well. Now the decision becomes hack my ageing iriver 120 and do the compact flash mod or get this beauty instead! If it's drag and drop it could well be a contender.

Mar 2, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 19
im sorry, with even the nano crossing 25 hours battery life, the sony and cowon alternatives going on 40 and 50 euros, releasing a player that has such a poor battery life, is a bit troubling,

but then again, its around 50 euros cheaper then most of its competitors, the only competition this player has is the cowon U5, and the U5 lacks lossless uspport and has a MicroUSB insted of a MiniUSB, making the cable harder to replace,

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by curbfeeler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw the e100 listed on Amazon.uk for sale.
Haven't turned up may particulars for it.
Reportedly supports FLAC, a must.
If it has a line out provision that can be used while powered externally it could be appealing to me.
Anyone know where to get info?

I can find more information in here.

On my god! It comes with card slot! According to the product description, the player will support these MP3, WMA, OGG, ASF and FLAC. Selling for $215 USD, the players look very promising.

I'm looking forward to hear reviews on the sound quality.

May 20, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 19
I bought an iriver e100 recently, let me share my first impressions

It costed 79€ for the 4gig version. It can be upgraded with MicroSD memory.
The amount of features for that very modest price is impressive:

- The player supports mp3, wma, ogg (yay), flac (yay), asf.
- It has a builtin FM radio
- It can display pictures in all sorts of formats including .png
- It can play videos in avi and mp4 format. the software converts if needed.
- It has builtin stereo speakers
- It has SRS and WOW (not something many headfi'ers will use)
- It has a recorder that can record in high quality and a connector for external microphone or line-in

The sound quality is pretty good, comparable to competing mp3 players. Better than cheapo players but not perfect, I'm sure there are better sounding players around (probably with matching pricetag). I find it to be adequate for my usage. I use them with AKG k324p earbuds and tried with sennheiser 595 for good measure. When used with very high end phones this player is probably not going to be your best choice. I have not tried it with a headphone-amp so I can't say how much improvement that would give.

Edit: returned it after a week, could not get used to mediocre sound and clumsy music management. My verdict: do not buy unless you don't plan to use quality headphones with it. And even then, it has a cheap feel to it, and managing and sorting music is terrible. There are much better players that cost less.

May 20, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #9 of 19
The cheapest I've found this is around 150 euros for the 8GB version, about the same as the Clix 2 8GB goes for. I really wonder which would be the better choice for me. I think 8GBs would probably be enough for music, but then again I just might end up having some space hog video material also. Clix 2's display should be significantly better though. Lossless codec support isn't an issue for me. I personally see little point in using a lossless codec on a portable device.

Oh, boy. Choices, choices.

EDIT: Heck. One choice less to make - Clix 2 ordered...

May 21, 2008 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 19
The E100 reminds me of the X20 that I had for a little while in that it just doesn't sound very good at all for something with an iRiver badge.

The screen's very nice, internal speakers alright, looks very good, but just not something that I would expect iRiver to produce...

May 27, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 19
I have returned the iriver e100 i bought last week.
I tried to like it but i just couldnt get used to the mediocre soundquality and lousy musiclibrary management (having to sort everything manually, re-tag, etc).

I ended up getting a Trekstor Vibez instead. Trekstor hired the Rio team for this player. This player sounds leagues better than the iriver e100. It also supports ogg and flac, aswell as DRM wma9+10. Apart from lacking a videoplayer its in all ways superior to the e100. It sorts all music properly and sounds extremely pleasing (using with AKG in-ears). It comes with a pair of Sennheiser earbuds, which shows they take soundquality pretty serious. The senn earbuds aren't a random choice, sennheiser was involved in the vibez project and endorses it. Other features include true gapless playback(!), MSC/MTP mode and a user replacable li-ion accu. The parametric equalizer is better than most portables eq. And as always there has to be a few less usefull toys, in this case they include visualisations, pitchbending and a stopwatch (?). It also has the Rio-DJ.

The reason I typed in a paragraph about the trekstor is because I traded in the e100-4gig for the trekstor-8gig and got 10 euro back on top. Combined with the superior soundquality and general feel of the player (the e100 feels cheap in the hand, especially when clicking buttons) i found this to be an extremely nice deal compared to the iriver e100. I don't know if prices are similar elsewhere but if so then the trekstor is definately worth looking into in favor of the e100.

Jun 8, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone really want speakers built onto an compact flash mp3 player? Why not just allow it be an additional accessory you can you buy, if it's such a big deal to them ...

Also it's getting revised by the way:
iRiver E150, E200 to go aluminium and lose speakers - Crave at CNET.co.uk

i also notice that iriver have the new lplayer ready to go, its speaker just looks beautiful.
iriver's Lplayer released, gas mask required - Engadget

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 19
Hehe, yeah those speakers are quirky to say the least. Only wish they had crammed an SD slot on the player though.

Jun 9, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, yeah those speakers are quirky to say the least. Only wish they had crammed an SD slot on the player though.

Having a SD card slot will be nice but the new lplayer is nearly half the size of the e100. I really buy this!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back