iriver clix2 Vs. iAudio X5
Dec 4, 2007 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

genesis

100+ Head-Fier
I would like to know which of this is a better sounding DAP.

I understand that one is a hard drive and another is a flash based player.

I am not concerned with the video and only interested in the sound quality alone. I also understand from what I have read that both have a warm sound.

1. So regarding sound quality which is a better player?

2. Which has more bass quantity and impact?

3. Which has more detail?

Just as a sidenote, I tried the cowon d2 and did not like the sound at all. The sound was compressed when compared to clix and also the soundstage was really bad. I found that the treble pierced my ears especially on rock based music.

Dec 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 32
I owned the X5 and I loved the sound it had. But at this point, it doesn't matter which is better because the X5 is no longer being made and it's goes used on ebay for ridiculous prices....more than what they costed brand new.

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 32
Well the thing is that I have an option of acquiring the iaudio x5l.

It is a brand new piece and it has been lying with a dealer i know. I can get it for around 200$. So that being the case would it be wise to get the iaudio x5l?

I am only concerned with the battery life and sound quality. I don't care about video, pictures, rocket launcher and other add on features....

I have seen lot of people still rate the x5l as one of the best stock DAP's made.

So given this new information would it be wise to get it based on just sound quality and battery life?

I prefer a warm sound. I also have the option of acquiring a creative zen vision:m for the same price. I know the zen has a lot more features than the x5l. but what i would like to know is does the x5l trump the zen in terms of sound quality and fidelity.

please let me know your opinions.....

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 32
sound can be tweaked, especially with rockbox. rockbox would also give you all the sound features and more that creative has over iaudio. that is if you are not opposed to a little work. battery life of x5l is impressive if new.

Dec 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 32
My advice, stick with clix 2. The x5 from what I remember had great detail, but not very warm similar to other cowon players. Of course they do have a lot of eq options and theres rockbox for the x5. I still think the x5 sound siq. may not be your cup of tea. Maybe some current x5 users can chime in. If you don't mind 8 gig the sony nw a818 definatly has a "warmer" rich sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 32
$200 for an X5L, jump on it!!

Is it the 30 or 60gb?

Cowon have great SQ and EQ, and it plays Flac and Ogg.

X5L is the long life battery because I think it has 2 batteries inside!.

My advice : Take it now!!!

regards

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the thing is that I have an option of acquiring the iaudio x5l.

It is a brand new piece and it has been lying with a dealer i know. I can get it for around 200$. So that being the case would it be wise to get the iaudio x5l?

And then put it on ebay...

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbo3b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then put it on ebay...

Indeed. I tried the X5 a while back, it was a little too bright for my tastes.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #12 of 32
I am talking about the 30gb cowon x5.

I already tried the cowon d2 and did not like it. I found it to be too bright and also the low end was not up to par with clix.

But the biggest flaw i found with d2 was that it lacked the clix soundstage. the sound somehow seemed compressed to me probably cos i was used to the clix sound.

I have read in many place that the x5 has a warmer sound than the d2 so I thought I would consider. how is the soundstage on the x5?

anyone who has compared or had both the clix and x5 at one time? please let me know your comparisons.

Dec 7, 2007 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 32
i wish i could find the link where cnet australia reviewed five mp3 players including the iaudio x5 and sony psp (maybe it was more than 5) and 3 ipods (nano, 5g and shuffle). in the majority of the technical tests, the x5 came at the low end. it had one of the worst ranges and signal to noise ratio of any player etc etc.

however, it is touted as being one of the best sounding devices. i think that some of the machine spec has to do with that. the more exacting the sound of a player perhaps the less soul it has. often, players that are considered to be very good sq have indeed poor machine performance.

as well, having a good audio codec has almost nothing to do with sound quality in the final end. naturally it it is bad, it will never sound good no matter what amp is inside. but if the headphone output stage is terrible and the thing is brushed by too much circuitry, it will not sound good at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back