iriver clix2 impressions
Jul 9, 2007 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

nfsu

500+ Head-Fier
OK, it was originaly PM, but I think that some people might find it helpful (and buy Clix2 instead Nano
rs1smile.gif
)
dsc03640xa6.jpg

iriver seems to be durable player. I have never had problem with on (except FW problems, but about it later). My mates also aren't complaining about iriver (maybe only one, but he is hardcore Apple fan
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Clix2 has brilliant SQ and VQ. It's so fun to listen music which come out of Clix2.
dsc03621xr9.jpg

Also new AMOLED screen is awesome. Unlimited viewing angle and really fast respose time makes picture perfect (OK, almost, it would be perfect with 16 mln colors
smily_headphones1.gif
)
Also if you don't like interface look, you can download threads and transform player into Zune, iPod, paper notebook etc
Clix2 is small and easily can fit into pocket, it's not bulky and really lightweight.

OK, now some disadvantages
Build quality: overall it's brilliant. Plastic is almost scratchproof (it isn't scratch magnet however), back panel is made of plastic on which scratches aren't even noticeable. Also screen protector is preinstalled. The problem is front panel: it's... floating. I mean it doesn't stay firmly in it's place and it is in every Clix2
Control: we have some buttons on side of player, but mainly we control through D-click system. OK, when we sit in bus or something it is good solution, we can also laught at friends trying to control it (frequently asked question is: I should open it, but where?
biggrin.gif
), but controlling it with one free hand while walking isn't that easy and many times you will 'clix' thing that you didn't intended to.
dsc03624ro8.jpg

Hold option is good and really helpful. While hold is on you can increase or decrease volume (brilliant thing). You will use hold many times, because front panel is just one (rather four
smily_headphones1.gif
) big button and if player is squeezed (and in pocket it will happen undoubtedly often) you will for sure press one of them.
Screen is brilliant, but because of it's amoled it has one problem: it doesn't need backlight. So, there are two options: it is on or it is off. It can't be on without backlight, like in iPod. Because of battery drain it is most time off (but if you like to, you can have it turned on almost all the time).
Also in really sunny day you can't see a thing on screen and because of highly polished front panel you can see reflected things, so sometimes watching movie can be rather painful...
While using UMS player doesn't see songs unless you rebuild library, movies are sometimes just shutting down, polish translation sucks (for example they translate 'rate' as a 'velocity') and it has problem with OGG files.
Also I had problems with lock: I couldn't unlock player, only on/off button works. Reset helps
It seems that all problems are bacuse of firmware and with higher versions they will dissapear, but I don't understand why they release player with so many bugs.
Iriver plus is a disaster. It looks like fake iTunes, but it works so slooooow.
Overall, Clix2 is like Alfa Romeo: you will love it despite all bugs and disadvantages.
Oh, also 4GB is misunderstanding in multimedia player...

Sorry for incoherent speech and mistakes
etysmile.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 75
I think that Clix 2 with E500 just... click
biggrin.gif

OK, seriously, E500 sounds wonderful with Clix2: a bit warm sound with nice soundstage (Clix2 has huge soundstage, but E500 hasn't got this feature).
It sounds much better than Nano and Shuffle.
iriver Clix2 sounds similar to iriver (in that time they called themselves iRiver BTW
smily_headphones1.gif
)IFP700 series.

Jul 9, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 75
Quote:

Also if you don't like interface look, you can download threads and transform player into Zune, iPod, paper notebook etc

What does this mean exactly? You can dowload wallpapers or new interfaces (!) ?

Can you try amping it through the headphone jack to see if it responds at all to amping? The Meizu's SQ actually sounds worse amped and that's why I plan not to buy it. (Less customization.)

Also, how's the detail with this pups?
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 75
Quote:

What does this mean exactly? You can dowload wallpapers or new interfaces (!) ?

Exactly. You can download new themes and enjoy new look
I'll find out how would it sound amped tommorow, today is too late and I'm tired a bit.
However, I know what you mean: Shuffle combined with my CMOY sounded much worse than out of head-out. Since then I've been trying to avoid amping head-out
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #9 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onizuka-gto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whats the battery life compared to the monster killer cowon D2?

(52hrs playback) and can it playback flac? and how much can you upgade it to? any memory expansion slots?

I don't believe clix2 can play FLAC. Also there is no memory expansion slot. I'm not sure about battery life, but nfsu can answer that hopefully (I think it's around 20 hrs).

Jul 9, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 75
Clix2 does offer FLAC playback.

Jul 10, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 75
I stand corrected.

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #14 of 75
Quote:

The iRiver Clix 2 doesn't support FLAC... its only plays MP3, WMA, WMA-DRM, WAV, Ogg Vorbis and Audible

Clix2 doesn't support any lossless format.
Quote:

whats the battery life compared to the monster killer cowon D2?

Battery capacity:
iriver Clix2: 630 mAh
Cowon D2: 1600 mAh
Clix2 with screen turned off can easily play about 20 hours, but comparing to 40 h playing time (D2 can't play 52h, that is sure) it is nothing. However, Clix2 is smaller and it weights 2x less, so I think battery life in this case had to be shortened (and 20 hours is enough for me)
Quote:

It doesn't need backlight?
confused.gif

AMOLED screen is backlighted itself. Other screen (LCD) need lamps or LEDs which backlight screen, so in many you can see places from where light is coming from. That backlight drains most battery (for example in my laptop when I "turn off" LCD, only backlight is turning off, it can't be seen in normal day, buy only in very sunny environment) so it is wise to turn it off. In iPods (or other players) backlight is turning off but screen is still on. In AMOLED you don't have this feature: screen can be on backlighted or off: nothing between.

AMP: So, I tried to amp it. With E500 almost nothing happend. Amp even spoiled the sound a bit (it's mainly because that Clix2+E500 rig sounds perfectly).
With MS1 sound gainded some sharpness and saturation. Amp added just more life to this rig.
Quote:

any memory expansion slots?

That is biggest iriver's mistake: no SD HC slot. When I was going to shop, I intended to buy D2 and accept worse SQ. Than I might buy 16GB SD card and enjoy 20GB flash based player.
However, D2 was not in stock. I could wait for new supply, but when I listened songs on Clix2 (with E500)... It sounded so beautiful that I couldn't resist.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:13 AM Post #15 of 75
I have to agree that clix2 has got outstanding sound quality. Its sound signature is a bit different than iRiver ifp-799 but is also marvellous. From high quality mp3 files the music is colorful and spatial - not many players can do it. For comparison: Cowon D2 is almost as colorful in midrange as clix2 but it shrills sometimes and its sounstage is a bit narrow and too distant for me. Trekstor Vibez has got, say, perfect soundstage, detailed and impactful sound but actually it makes music a bit gray, losing sweetness and charm.
The most regretful thing of clix2 is no lossless format support accompanying corrupted ogg Vorbis playback. As ogg is SQ-wise superior to both mp3 and wma, it is a big flaw of Telechips platform that both Cowon D2 and clix2 add some statics to music when playing ogg files. No Samsung or Sigmatel microprocessor has got such problems, Meizu M6, different flavors of iAudio or iRver T series can do it perfectly. So, if iRiver wishes to have another customer - please fix the ogg bug.
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back