iriver 320 vs. other
Aug 21, 2006 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

luke16

New Head-Fier
well, i am posting in this thread because i need (well, it is mostly a want, i have a 5GB creative muvo2fm and a 5GB truly hd-900 i want to sell) a new dap. think the iriver 320 modded to a 330 would be a good option for me. my friend got a gigabeat s and his 320 had a shot hdd. i could get a 30GB 1.8mm verticle plane drive and get an extra 10 gigs. this would also be the cheapist because he said he would give it to me.

with rockbox and the iriver dualbooting on the device, it would suit my needs. i am wondering about the audio quality and how high can it go on vbr mp3's or losless? i am pretty new and i don't know what format is better, or how high of audio quality the h320 can pump out. i have westone um1's that were ordered an hour ago, so higher quality would be needed.

i also have a ton of mp3/wma files that are downloaded from napster and are all 192kbs. can i get these to a higher quality in any way. although i doubit it, it would help me from buying all the cd's.

thanks for reading.

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luke16
i also have a ton of mp3/wma files that are downloaded from napster and are all 192kbs. can i get these to a higher quality in any way. although i doubit it, it would help me from buying all the cd's.

thanks for reading.

There is no way at all you can get better quality out of your 192k mp3/wma files. You are stuck with them unless you buy the CDs and rip them to a better format/bitrate.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Go to hydrogenaudio.org for more information about formats. They are the best.

Unfortunately, JWolf is right. There is absolutely no way to up the quality of your Napster songs. You must buy CD's.

Aug 21, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 12
With Rockbox, you can use FLAC (use level 8 compression) and get true CD quality if the rip is good. Ogg Vorbis quality 9 or 10 is a very good alternative if you don't mind lossy but smaller files. MP3/AAC is not as good as Ogg Vorbis or FLAC. With MP3/AAC, you have a good chance of hearing artifacs that just make the music that much worse. When you hear that you are listening to MP3, it kind of ruins the enjoyment of that tune for you.

Aug 21, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 12
EAC is pretty much the best, but can be a little complicated to get setup the first time. Make sure to use the secure setting, cause then it scans the CD multiple times to make sure that it didn't miss any bytes. You need to download the FLAC and OGG (I prefer LAME mp3's to OGG, merely because they're more supported, although I suppose it's ok, cause I use rockbox... anyways, I can't hear the sound difference at LAME V2 (different preset settings, V0 being the best) between the mp3's and my FLAC files) encoders. The easiest way to set up EAC is to use a guide, there's one in one of the other recent threads about CD ripping.

Aug 22, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by luke16
i ave looked for a download link for eac but cannot find one. i would be much obliged of one popped up on this here thread.

EAC download.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back