iQube portable amp review
Jan 14, 2008 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PaulK

New Head-Fier
Below I will share my experience on the iQube. To appreciate this review from me – still a ‘junior headfi-er’ on this forum – a few words about me and why I write this review.

Though not being very long on this forum I built my way up into the head-fi hobby in the past 2 years. However, I started with a simple goal in mind: I’m a bicycle commuter and want the best possible audio experience while riding. I worked my way up from basic Apple buds, Philips noise-canceling in-ears, to Senn CX300, Shure E3, UE SuperFi EB and UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro. All that on either a 4G iPod or the new shuffle. I might spent another thread on HeadFi for cyclists…

Then I was at Hans’ place and listened to the iQube… I was sold and soon after IT was sold to me! Lucky me…!

In my daily life I’m a user interface architect meaning I focus a lot on ease of use and design of products, and that also counts for my own gadgets :wink: So I will not focus so much on the sound but also on ‘the other factors’ that make a product pleasing. They count for me!

Out of the box
The box – for those that appreciate the detail – is fantastic. I remember Usability guru Donald Norman once asking the audience “who still has the box the iPod came in?”. A lot!! The iQube box is such a box you just don’t just throw away. It conveys style. And you see it back in the design of the iQube itself.
In the box you find the iQube, a standard mini-mini connection cable, 4 AAA batteries – and a nicely designed user manual. I primarily use it with iPod Line Out Dock connector. A dock connector and potentially rechargeable batteries are not included. If you buy rechargables a great accessory is the USB cable for charging them through a PC.

Using the iQube
The design is fantastic. It looks good and it feels good. This is mainly because of the black finish on the main metal casing. It feels kind of soft and gives a bit of resistance to an attached iPod. And vice versa the iPod does not scratch the iQube!
Feature-wise the iQube has a minimalistic design. In/out, on/off, gain switch and a volume knob. That’s it! No bass-boost, cross-feed or whatsoever. Less is more? Personally I like to try features like these to play around with and see what I like most, also based on the headphones being used. But I must say, sound-wise I don’t miss them.
The battery consumption is incredible. People claim to use the iQube for up to 100 hours on 4 AAA batteries. I can confirm that! It’s a relief not having to think about recharging all the time! And on the occasional moments that batteries are running low, a blinking LED will tell you to do so.
The iQube has clear symbols on the controls. Some portable amps do not have that. Except for the volume knob, which has no level indicator. This can hurt yours ears... You can’t tell how loud it is when switching it on. So best is to get used to the habit of turning it low first then up again.
Switching the iQube on gives a clear tick in your phones. From what I understood this is already improved in newer models. On low-impedance phones you can still hear a slight hiss. The hiss is less than straight from the iPod. Although I’m quite picky on ‘noise’ with the TripleFi’s I hardly hear it when music is on. So I don’t use an attenuator. Also so because the one I have, from UE, affects the highs too much.
Changing batteries, opening the case that is, is a real adventure. Definitely room for improvement here. Fortunately, if you go for rechargeable batteries, you only have to do it once.

Mobility
The iQube is similarly sized as my iPod Photo, a bit larger. Hence a bit at the large side for mobile use. But doable. Using the black ‘iQube, power to the music’ wristband you can nicely put iQube and older models iPod together. For newer, thinner models the wristband is too wide and you will have to be creative. I can put the package easily in my pocket.
Do I hear the difference in sound when being on the move? Well, hardly, and very much depending on the noise blocking ability of your phones. My TripleFi’s do a good job, especially with Shures ‘black olives’ on top. But for cycling only I mostly take the TF’s and iPod shuffle. The best size/quality available imo. I do hear difference in SQ though even when cycling, and I sometimes take it with me to be able to listen to good sound when at work – I’m one of those people who concentrate best when listening to music instead of colleagues :wink:.

Sound
Last but not least. What is in it for the head-fi hungry ears?
As stated in other reviews it’s an ‘honest’ amp. Neutral was the term. But nice, very nice. I will not go into all the sound characteristics, which has been nicely described in other reviews. For me the issue was what differences do I hear compared to straight-from-the-iPod sound? Clarity and more pronounced highs is the first thing that strikes. I hear clear sparkling highs I did not hear before. But not too analytical as I remember from listening to other headphone amps. Transparency is greatly improved. Going back to normal out the iPod sounds almost muffled. I tend to listen to music at night before going to sleep. Today that’ll be no way without the iQube! At home I sometimes choose my Philips SBC HP1000 open dynamic headphones. In bass-rich music I suddenly heard the bass extension thanks to the iQube. It’s like feeling the bass through the phones. Something I did not sense before. Very nice. The effect is more prominent with the Philips than the TF’s. I don’t know why. Voices are coming through even more lively, natural, than I’m used to without an amp.

So?
I ended up using the iQube every day for my home-listening sessions and don’t want to miss it. I prefer TF’s + shuffle on the road. But I definitely take it with me when going somewhere I stay overnight like holidays, business trip etc.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 14
Everytime I read a review, I want one.

But the price stops that want but quick.

Appreciate the review, though.

Nice to see the iQube lives up to the gaining reputation.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the review. It was between this and the Pico for me. Sounds like an amazing amp, though. The site said that they are out of stock right now. Anyone heard when they're supposed to be shipping again?

Jan 18, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #5 of 14
What a splendid review, Paul, thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you get a chance, a few pictures of your new road-worthy set-up would be nice to see...

I continue to be knocked out by the iQube's clean transparancy and stunning quickness; most impressive even by home-amp standards, let alone a portable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobloblaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The site said that they are out of stock right now. Anyone heard when they're supposed to be shipping again?

Last I saw on Hans' sponsor forum, the iQube will be available to ship again on February 1st.

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Excellent review, thanks for posting it. The iQube reall continues to impress me as well.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 14
hmmm all this iQube talk interests me, should i take the view that because i have a reference on the way, i shouldnt bother? or should i take the view that to experience other sounds and styles is more important!

i need to check out the reviews again for this amp and see its standing compared to established ones.

i did read it but have swiftly forgotten.

good review BTW
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@swayne: I removed the plastic shafts then put them on the TF's. They don't snap tight (careful when removing from your ears), but it works!

That's what I do.

I've tried stretching the shaft with needle nose pliers but can't get it to work.

Steven.

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the iQube rival any desktop amps out there in terms of SQ?

possibly, but any of the decent lower-mid tier ($200++) desktop amps and above should trump it easily. that said i wasn't a big fan of the iQube... although i could see why people would like its transparency, wide soundstage and quickness, i always felt the music lacked depth in 2 ways.

for one it's almost like the music is emanating from a plane, rather than a 3 dimensional stage, and for two it doesn't have the musical resonance, and the sound seems almost sterile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back