Iqube or SR71A, P51 or Hornet,
Jul 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hkimo

Head-Fier
I will received my JH 13 PRO at the end of next week.
However I lived in Taiwan.
So it is hard for me to compare those amp!(I only can get Iqube in Taiwan).

Do any one have the comparison for those portable amp.
My source is Kenwood MGR-A7 which have line out.

The music I listen to is broad, include concert and J-POP.

Please give me some advice.

Thank for your guys help.
atsmile.gif

Jul 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 10
I also receive my JH 13 Pro at the end of next week, but I can tell you I was at JH Audio a few weeks ago with my P51 and listened to the demos and the sq was amazing coming out of the P51. If I was waiting to buy an amp in the near future I would go with the RSA Shadow or the Pico Slim. Pre-order should be available for both of these amps by the end of summer.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Go to the member of the trade forums and you will see threads on both of these items written by Ray Samuels and by Justin at Pico.

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 10
hkimo I have listened to all four amps you mention and owned two of them. IMO the P51 is the best sounding followed by The Hornet. Sadly I was not impressed by either the SR71A (although I love and still own the original SR71) nor did I care for the sound out of the iQube.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hkimo I have listened to all four amps you mention and owned two of them. IMO the P51 is the best sounding followed by The Hornet. Sadly I was not impressed by either the SR71A (although I love and still own the original SR71) nor did I care for the sound out of the iQube.

Dear Mrarroyo:

Thank for your opinion.
so the P51 is best and second is Hornet and final is SR71a and Iqube?

I can only see the iqube in Taiwan.

That Why I ask about this question.

Can you explain more feeling for these AMP.
Thank you.

Jul 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 10
I use the SR-71A and the P-51. (I've owned the Hornet also.)

I find the 71A to have a very nice, warm & engaging presentation that I very much enjoy. (obviously mrarroyo doesn't as much.. In fact I have his '71A!) I also expect it to add some desirable characteristics to the otherwise very neutral JH13's that I'm scheduled to receive in two days myself.

The P-51 is perhaps a bit more neutral... which could be a good thing or a bad thing with the 13's... I should have more to say when I actually try 'em.

(The extra juice behind the '71A is nice for the difficult to drive phones, but probably not needed for these IEMs.)

Jul 13, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 10
I used to own both the iQube and the P-51. I've borrowed an SR-71A for awhile, and tried the Hornet a few times.

iQube was the winner by a long shot, everything else seemed to have less details and overall smoothness. Even when I had the P-51, everything just opened up when I swapped to the iQube. I ended up not using my P-51 that much and it got sold. However, there are times when you will find your iQube a little thin, clinical, dry, you name it. You really need to watch your pairing with this amp, I used to pair it with my Atrio/ESW10 and the matching was very nice indeed.

I never really cared for the SR-71A when my friend loaned it to me. There was just too much harshness in the upper registers, although the soundstage was really something, something just seemed lacking in the music. It kind of sounded that the soundstage was too big to be coherent. I switched back to the iQube, needless to say.

Hornet, although I did not listen to it for long periods of time, I quite liked it when I heard a well burned-in set. Nice warm and punchy sound. My impressions of the Hornet are a little fuzzy now, so it might not be very accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back