iPods limited in volume in EU
Mar 5, 2004 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 15
It's a French regulation and it states that "the power output of portable audio devices sold on French soil should not allow for a corresponding accoustic pressure of more than 100 decibels SPL. Non-complying devices can not be sold in France. These devices should also bear a sticker mentioning that excessive listening at full output power can damage the ear."

I'm pretty sure all of the current line of portables from Sony in the EU have a reduced output and I own an EU capped iPod
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 15
Andr, i think that you misunderstand the problem.

While on some extremely efficent headphones, the output may max out at 100 db's, depending on the headphones that you use, the total output could be much, much lower.

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 15
This rule is a) stupid and b) unenforceable.

Just plug K1000's in. I'd love to see any portable get 100db out of the K1000's.

-dd3mon

Mar 5, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #8 of 15
you can change the volume tag on your MP3s easily by using a program called euPod.. I use it to bypass the stupid french rule

in Norway we get euPods even though we aren't in the EU!
mad.gif

Mar 5, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by darkfusion
It's a French regulation and it states that "the power output of portable audio devices sold on French soil should not allow for a corresponding accoustic pressure of more than 100 decibels SPL. Non-complying devices can not be sold in France. These devices should also bear a sticker mentioning that excessive listening at full output power can damage the ear."

I'm pretty sure all of the current line of portables from Sony in the EU have a reduced output and I own an EU capped iPod
frown.gif

I quote from an old post of mine:

However the EU regulations state that no audio product with headphones is permitted to exceed 100db with the headphones shipped with the unit. In the language it was originally proposed in, "Les écouteurs livrés d’origine avec ce produit garantissent le non dépassement de la puissance maximale de 100dB SPL."

The key phrase is "Les écouteurs livrés d’origine avec ce produit". If the shipped earphones are very efficient (e.g. Sony) then anything else will sound too quiet. Apple by dint of their relatively inefficient earphones don't fare too badly.

I find euPod corrupts my iTunes. I've stopped bothering with it.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
The key phrase is "Les écouteurs livrés d’origine avec ce produit". If the shipped earphones are very efficient (e.g. Sony) then anything else will sound too quiet. Apple by dint of their relatively inefficient earphones don't fare too badly.

I find euPod corrupts my iTunes. I've stopped bothering with it.

If Apple doesn't fare too badly, why are so many up in arms about this? It seems that more than a few people take issue with it.

Mar 5, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 15
There is definitely a difference. That's probably why... people feeling robbed. There's definitely enough of a difference between my previous US-spec iPod and the UK-spec iPod I have now. I'd forgotten how quiet it is (although still perfectly usable) in comparison with aftermarket phones. My US-sourced iPod Mini is also much more powerful than my current iPod.

As I said it's not unusable, but once you hear a US iPod, all Europeans may be fully justified in feeling pissed off with the French.

On the other hand, EU-limited Sony PCDP's are nearly unusably quiet with aftermarket phones.

Mar 6, 2004 at 12:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Yeah, some of the less efficiant 'phones I've tried have been almost useless with my EU Sony MD units, even in a quiet room. However the iPod manages to push the same phones to a normal listening level on a volume setting of around 3 to 3.5/4

So far my primary portable cans (D66's) seem to be driven quite easily from the iPods headphone out, but I dread to think how the PX250's (300 Ohms!) would fair with it.
eek.gif

I guess if anyones really that bothered they can just import from the US, it'd probably work out cheaper anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by darkfusion
I guess if anyones really that bothered they can just import from the US, it'd probably work out cheaper anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Are parallel imports legal in the EU?

Mar 6, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
Are parallel imports legal in the EU?

so far as I know they are...

Sure, you 'technically' have to pay duty to customs if the goods are over (I think it is) $145 in value, but either an item sent through as a gift worth $30, or else someone who is quite happy to pay the excess will get their goods...

I'm still tempted to do that myself, after seeing the mini iPod at Tysons Corner, DC the other weekend... $249, yet here, in the UK when they are released in April... they'll be £249... look at any currency conversion website, and you can see that we're getting ripped off... big style...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back