iPod's biggest weakness!
Apr 26, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceejay34
Nice piece of bollocks right there. The mx 500 is plenty accurate for comparing DAP's. I'm glad you feel happy with shelling out a ****load of money and need to convince yourself it was worth it but i don't buy into that for a sec. You ever listened to a pair of MX 500's? I bet you haven't.
I own PX 100, PX 200, Sony SL 71 earphones and granted they may not be the most expensive headgear theyre not too bad. And the MX 500 ranks them all.

The Sennheiser MX500 are good... for their price... they are better than the stock headphones for sure... but.... they are pretty.... errr. ordinary compared to some higher end earphone/canal phones (Sony MDR-E888/Ety ER4)
They are cheap for a reason
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #47 of 84
Well, I find the mx400 very boring in their sound. And I guess they're very similar to the mx500. Defently not a good 'phone to compare DAPs (imo of course.) Accualy when I think about it I find them way boring. Everything just get a knock down. But sure, for ~$10 you can't go wrong with them
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #48 of 84
Quote:

Nice piece of bollocks right there. The mx 500 is plenty accurate for comparing DAP's. I'm glad you feel happy with shelling out a ****load of money and need to convince yourself it was worth it but i don't buy into that for a sec. You ever listened to a pair of MX 500's? I bet you haven't.
I own PX 100, PX 200, Sony SL 71 earphones and granted they may not be the most expensive headgear theyre not too bad. And the MX 500 ranks them all.

By the way you do realise youre listening to AAC or Mp3 on your ipod? Not to flac or wav? Come again on worldclass quality?
rolleyes.gif

Have you heard a pair of the Ety4P's?

I own a pair of the 500's. Comparibly, the 4P's are worth every penny.
biggrin.gif

Guess what son, MP3's or AAC's on the iPod sounded better than Flacs on the Karma, W/O EQ.

FYI, I also listen to waves on my players, but thanks for generalizing and speculating. It'll get you everywhere everytime.

And sorry, the 500's don't touch the PX100's or PX200's as far as sound quality.

Try again.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 26, 2004 at 10:51 PM Post #49 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm
[...] but thanks for generalizing and speculating. It'll get you everywhere everytime.
[...]
Try again.
rolleyes.gif

I like you comment. Fun but still true.

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #50 of 84
Quote:

Guess what son, MP3's or AAC's on the iPod sounded better than Flacs on the Karma, W/O EQ....
And sorry, the 500's don't touch the PX200's as far as sound quality.

OMG why do you buy all this sound equipment when you are quite obviously profoundly deaf.
Now i know sound qual is subjective listening to you. Man oh man, you should read up on Ipod lounge and Riovolution to see all the people having dumped their Ipod for a Karma because of pisspoor sound quality.
But hey to each is own I say, more power to you (and a hearing aid).

Apr 26, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #51 of 84
Quote:

OMG why do you buy all this sound equipment when you are quite obviously profoundly deaf.
Now i know sound qual is subjective listening to you. Man oh man, you should read up on Ipod lounge and Riovolution to see all the people having dumped their Ipod for a Karma because of pisspoor sound quality.

Do you have a problem answering questions directed to you? Do I need to retype it?

Have you also read on those forums, as well as these, about how much better the Ety series sound to your obviously illuminous MX500's?

You've also ignored those threads which deal with people ditching their Karmas for iPods and other players over (thunder claps) SOUND QUALITY, again here and on those sites you've mentioned, as well as the misticriver forums.

I guess you generalize better than comprehend what you read.

Again, have you heard a pair of the Ety 4P's?

Don't let your insecurity get in the way of answering it this time, K?

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #53 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezra2323
How did a thread on iPods turn into an argument about headphones? Is there not a headphones forum for discussions like this?

no doubt, this thread is waay off from my original rant
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #54 of 84
I don't think that the inability to shut down is the iPod's biggest weakness, I mean if the thing had a 16 hour battery life then no one would be complaining about this as it wouldn't be a big deal.
It would just be another feature, added I suppose, for convenience.

It doesn't matter what player you have or what features it carries, you can never win. I've also owned an iHP-100 in the past and I've seen a lot of complaints about it's 11-16 sec start-up time, silly I know, but it just shows you how everything can be complained about by somebody.

Personally (battery life aside) I like the "instant-on" feature.

The iPod's biggest weakness IMHO is still it's short(er) battery life when compared to other players.

Apr 27, 2004 at 11:25 AM Post #55 of 84
I pretty much agree with Divad about what he said. Being able to shut off the thing to me isn't a huge deal. My 3rg Gen does go into a "deep sleep" after a certain amount of time. My 2nd Gen seems to handle this better though, as in not losing as much power when "sleeping". To be fair my NJB3, which did shut down, also lost battery power over time, but with the two batteries it really didn't matter.

I was happy enough with the touch buttons, but I agree the wheel on the mini is much better. And I'm afraid you'll almost never see "across the board" suppoet of codecs, given the relationships and "perceived" money involved.

I don't know too many ipod owners who think the present EQ is any good.

I'm not sure what Austonia means about "better on the fly" support. I like it as it is. It doesn't get much easier to use, plus I could always deviate from it and listen to something else, then come back to it. With the Xtra, whatever I'm listening to, I have to add to the playlist whether I want to or not.

I still find it the best total package for my needs, although I'll regularly rotate the iPod, IHP, and Dell DJ in my travels.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:05 PM Post #56 of 84
Quote:

Do you have a problem answering questions directed to you? Do I need to retype it?

Have you also read on those forums, as well as these, about how much better the Ety series sound to your obviously illuminous MX500's?

You've also ignored those threads which deal with people ditching their Karmas for iPods and other players over (thunder claps) SOUND QUALITY, again here and on those sites you've mentioned, as well as the misticriver forums.

I guess you generalize better than comprehend what you read.

Again, have you heard a pair of the Ety 4P's?

Don't let your insecurity get in the way of answering it this time, K?

Oh i'm sorry if you're confused. I thought we were discussing a number of things, including the fact that you could very well compare sound quality of DAPs on a MX 500. And you can no problem.
I'm not ignoring those threads you mentioned cause quite frankly they aren't there. Maybe there's 1 or 2 that i haven't read but compared to the dozens of people preferring a Karma over the iPod they can be safely ignored. You're making this up as go along arent you.
Now to come back to your Ety 4p's , no, i haven't heard them, but as i said before that's entirely besides the point. For DAP comparison's sake the mx500 are aok.
There are a zillion different models and makes of head/earphones, and they're not all gonna sound the same. That's why a good EQ is absolutely essential to finetune your sound. I'd be not happy with my DAP if i didnt have that option.

Apr 27, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

I'm not sure what Austonia means about "better on the fly" support. I like it as it is. It doesn't get much easier to use, plus I could always deviate from it and listen to something else, then come back to it. With the Xtra, whatever I'm listening to, I have to add to the playlist whether I want to or not

Better on-the-fly playlisting like Nomad players, in that you can add entire artists or albums or genres to the list and see that addition nested (under the Artist, Album, or genre), and rearrange them, remove some or all items, and save the listing so that it can be recalled later.

With Nomad players (like the Xtra) you can always choose to "add to playlist" or "play now" for an artist, album, track, etc.. and you even set the autoclear function to automatically clear out the playlist when a new item is added, if you want.

Apr 27, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #59 of 84
Quote:

And when I want to know about sound quality, the first place I check is Ipodlounge.
rolleyes.gif

I'd sooner trust my own ears, or if I can't audition, trust the ears of people who actually know something about portable audio.
tongue.gif

Edit: But getting back to the topic, yes, the battery is pretty poor. It's almost as bad as the battery life of my first PocketPC, the Ipaq 3630. So there's a precedent for Apple to see...the petitions and the court cases against Compaq for the same flaws. So Apple pretty much knows better. Whether I buy a new one depends on how well they address this.

Apr 27, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Oh i'm sorry if you're confused. I thought we were discussing a number of things, including the fact that you could very well compare sound quality of DAPs on a MX 500. And you can no problem.
I'm not ignoring those threads you mentioned cause quite frankly they aren't there. Maybe there's 1 or 2 that i haven't read but compared to the dozens of people preferring a Karma over the iPod they can be safely ignored. You're making this up as go along arent you.
Now to come back to your Ety 4p's , no, i haven't heard them, but as i said before that's entirely besides the point. For DAP comparison's sake the mx500 are aok.
There are a zillion different models and makes of head/earphones, and they're not all gonna sound the same. That's why a good EQ is absolutely essential to finetune your sound. I'd be not happy with my DAP if i didnt have that option.

You haven't heard them? Then you're in no position to question what I'm saying necessarily, much less comment on my hearing. Don't tell me it's beside the point, and try to insult me at the same time about THAT very point. We're not all fools and backtalkers like you appear to be.

Why would I be confused? You're the one who can't give straight answers, much less be consistant with what you say.

And when you quoted me earlier, you left out the fact that I said the PX100's also bested the MX500's, something apparently you thought in the past as well. Need me to dig up the post?

Maybe you need to SEARCH those forums to find those threads, rather than just checking the first page. Do I need to do that for you too? Check out the first review in the review section of THIS forum, that's a good start for you.

Gee, on the one hand you're saying different headphones all sound different, yet you're also saying the MX500's are good enough to check sound quality of varoius DAPS. It's the EQ that's the key, is it?

I guess we're all just fools, and Head-Fi is a waste of time and space. Who knew?

One question, if the MX500's are "good enough" to measure sound quality, and the EQ is really the measure to go by, why do SO many folks own other cans, such as the Ety's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back