Ipod's are a terrible source.
Jan 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoRepairs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem with 3gs jailbreak on OS 3.x with Blackra1n,... also the cirrus chips are amazing but no high output to drive some IEM's and bigger cans on headphone jack.

Huh... The dev's blog says that you have to run blackra1n each time you boot if it has the new bootrom or w/e. Also, none of the jailbreak devs say that they have a version for untethered iPod Touch 3G yet (iphone dev team, geohot, chronicdev, ih8sn0w)

Quote:

If your ipt2/3GS/ipt3 is rebooting into recovery after running blackra1n, this isn't a bug. It's a feature. You need to run blackra1n every time to boot it. This 'feature', called tethered jailbreak, is enabled by upgrades Apple made to the bootrom and the fact ipt3 uses nand flash.

Also, what is this black magic involving VLC?

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #32 of 39
Ok, if you say so.
I am well pleased with my two iPods, but that may be just me..
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #33 of 39
being watches, clothing and audio some of my hobbies, i have found on many occasions that personal taste has nothing to do with quality or reality, there are many people out there perfectly pleased by bose and skullcandy,

as for jailbreakers and such,
you know, if you like the ipod, well, no problem, its your money, your ears and your taste and you should do whatever makes you happy, and if the ipod makes you happy. go ahead, buy one, use it, enjoy it,

but please dont try to justify its deficiencies by saying "well, it does the same as player X if i install Patch A and use program B while conected to accesory C and then i dance in my underware on 1 foot", its just annoying and gets people doing stupid/dangerus things to get a device that wasnt ment to have a feature/fuction to do things,

if it dosnt play flac, then use alac, no problem, just dont go around saying "well, it does play flac if i do this this and that..."

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

but please dont try to justify its deficiencies by saying "well, it does the same as player X if i install Patch A and use program B while conected to accesory C and then i dance in my underware on 1 foot", its just annoying and gets people doing stupid/dangerus things to get a device that wasnt ment to have a feature/fuction to do things,

if it dosnt play flac, then use alac, no problem, just dont go around saying "well, it does play flac if i do this this and that..."

It takes about 30 seconds to jailbreak and another 30 seconds to install VLC media player. It's not like it's some uber hacker project. It's far from dangerous- the worst that could happen is you have to restore your backup. (about a 20 minute annoyance depending on how much you have on your iphone).

Quote:

Huh... The dev's blog says that you have to run blackra1n each time you boot if it has the new bootrom or w/e.

Like I said earlier, there are certain late production date 3gs phones that have an anti-jailbreak ROM chip. If, like me, you have a phone without that chip, your phone has a non-teathered jailbreak.

Quote:

Also, what is this black magic involving VLC?

It's a neat program that can play just about any media file you can think of. Another benefit of using it is that you don't need to use a special format to put videos on your phone. Also works as a free DVD program on the PC version.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

To me, the minor inconvenience of having to jailbreak is well having FLAC support.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

It takes about 30 seconds to jailbreak and another 30 seconds to install VLC media player. It's not like it's some uber hacker project. It's far from dangerous- the worst that could happen is you have to restore your backup. (about a 20 minute annoyance depending on how much you have on your iphone).

Is this the app called VLC4iPhone? Also, I agree with you. If there is a way to do certain things it makes sense to mention it because others may follow those steps if they want the same abilities. To say it plays certain files after you install "X", is more beneficial than just saying you can't do it.

Also, I have a jb iphone and had no idea it could play flac files, so your post was very beneficial!

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Is this the app called VLC4iPhone?

That's the one.

Jan 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the problem is that ipods arent designed to sound good, they are designed to look good, thats one of the most fustrating things ever with the ipod, using some of the best parts around, how can you make such a bad player...

sheesh... sounds like sour grapes to me. what is it about the iPod that makes you insist it's 'such a bad player?'

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Specialzed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My iPod touch anyway. I plugged my HD25's into it.

Well, there you go. Grab a Fiio E1 or something, because iPods can't really drive the HD25's that well. Even my Sony A818 (which was known for a low output) can drive them better. But my Classic does sound more detailed and analytical, however.

Jan 26, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif

you know, if you like the ipod, well, no problem, its your money, your ears and your taste and you should do whatever makes you happy, and if the ipod makes you happy. go ahead, buy one, use it, enjoy it,

Rotfl... sounds like a great analogy for all of the unnecessary hoops one needs to jump through just to get quality sound out of any Windows computer without latency or over-processing; and who needs FLAC anyways when you can just use Apple's equally lossless codec in iTunes, the best free computer music player and database on the planet (everything else is a knockoff that just can't keep up, sorry but you know it's the truth)?

Easy as pie
darthsmile.gif
!

Edit: Anyways, I almost forgot why I wanted to post here: to say that there have been many different iPods over the years, and many of them have very different sound signatures. From what I have read, the best sounding stock iPod was the 1st-gen Shuffle, with only 512k/1Gb of memory; no match for an iMod but it had great clarity, soundstage and bass extension with zero noise. Check out this PC Magazine review, of all the places to talk up an iPod! Probably the worst of the bunch was the iPod Mini, now discontinued in favor of the Nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back