Ipod's are a terrible source.
Jan 20, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Menisk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone out is terrible. That's why most use a LOD with an amp. I'm glad I've got a 5G so I've got the Wolfson DAC

What DAC does the Ipod Touch have ?

Jan 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another iPod haters thread? To each their own. I am quite satisfied with my iPod. Great for portable use, otherwise I use my home set up and DAC.

Word
ksc75smile.gif

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #19 of 39
I just upgraded from my iPod Video 30gb, to an iPod touch 32gb, and I can deffenitley tell a difference in sound, which is surprizing to me, as I figured it would be the same.

The iPod touch headphone jack is slightly curved as is the connector port, but it leaves some of the headphone plug exposed.. (no clue if this effects the sound quality, probably not much..) but I do notice if the headphone plug is to move around inside the plug you get a crackling sound and it may cut out. I have tested this with more than one pair of headphones just to check.

Not sure if everyone has this problem..

SQ my old iPod Video sounded deeper, it sounded like more power was going to the headphones, not much, but I do notice some difference.. though I have not done a side by side, so I could be just being picky and coming up with something in my brain.. lol

..the ipod touch is nice and all, but browsing through the music is neat.. just the design of the player itself, the layout of the OS, everything is just boring. I don't feel I have made a worthy upgrade..

I would have gone with the Zune HD if it were available in my country..

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 39
I don't know... I think my iPod touch 2nd generation has great sound. I don't use any of the eq settings.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iphone 3GS has good sound with a VERY low noise flow. I can't stand the wolfson ipods with my shure se530s because of the hissing. The cirrus logic chips used in the latest versions are definitely better.

I really like all the new iPods with the Cirrus Logic chips, really clean. As others have said, the second and third gen iPod Touch have these and sound great to me.

I haven't been so big on older iPod sound quality, but am perfectly satisfied with my 3rd Gen iPod Touch.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #22 of 39
I was shocked when I read the title of this thread. I immediately reacted that there are must alot of debate voices to against the initial post.

Yes, any one can say he like or dislike some DAP(s), but please make it more clear why you like or dislike, Or the readers will be misleaded.

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #23 of 39
One might also suggest that the Sennheisers are terrible phone for portability, requiring as they do so much extra power and equalization to sound like a lower impedance phone. (I'm being facetious; the HD-25 is a fine headphone).

I love my iPod 5G and iPhone -- they both blow the lid off computer sources (Dell @ work, MBP @ home) in terms of noise floor and staging. The former has a decent DAC (a little noisy, a little shrill but better than many of my CD players and good sound flavor overal), good battery life, a ton of space and a good UI. The latter has an awesome DAC (a little sterile but utterly noiseless and high resolution), great battery life and an excellent UI, with add-ons like Pandora and SimplifyMedia that no music junkie can deny. And personally I just like the tools better, both hardware and software -- they allow a user to spend less time tweaking and managing, and more time enjoying.

My only gripe about iWhatever is the EQ. That software EQ clips like my mom with a coupon book and customization is non-existant. I'd love to be able to define a Grado-like equalization for my ATs and vice versa...but it's not worth giving up everything else.

I'm a little shocked Apple hasn't positioned the "classic" as more of an audiophile grade player. Custom EQ, extra low noise components, better caps, etc...they could probably squeeze an extra $50 out of us, easy. But then, nobody who heard the Apple "HiFi" would take such a player seriously.

Jan 21, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #24 of 39
we´ve come to a point where wolfson has become a brand to toss around by fanboys, like with the S:flo2, DUAL WOLFSON DACS!!! for the fanboys to toss around, dosnt improve sound quality but does give you a sweet and short battery life,

im starting to think wolfson is a bit junk, the high end cirrus logic and AKM dacs provide better quality, and dont have the EQ problems aswell as the bass rolloff the current generation of wolfsons have,

so, there was a generation of ipod classics with cirrus logic dacs, 6th gen i believe, but the problem is that ipods arent designed to sound good, they are designed to look good, thats one of the most fustrating things ever with the ipod, using some of the best parts around, how can you make such a bad player...

Jan 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 39
I'm more than satisfied with my iphone 3gs. It doesn't drive my triple fi's quite as well as my Zero Dac, but it sounds as good as any portable source I've ever heard.

It also plays FLAC (Jailbroken through VLC media player)- not too many portable players can boast that.

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also plays FLAC (Jailbroken through VLC media player)- not too many portable players can boast that.

I thought jailbreak on the current version is messed up (all the ones that I can see require tethering on startup).

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #27 of 39
Ipod 3G is a great source. It balancing exactly on that edge that get you lost in the music but you won´t have nightmares of it beating my home setup. You must get home to really see the difference though which is as good of a review as you get. No hizz nada with my 30 ohms ED 8 for example and they seem pretty neutral to my ears.

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

I thought jailbreak on the current version is messed up (all the ones that I can see require tethering on startup).

There is a hardware issue with the jailbreak (apple trying to put the kibosh on jailbreaking) on certain later production date 3gs phones. Fortunately, I have one of the early 3gs phones and a non-tethered jailbreak.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a hardware issue with the jailbreak (apple trying to put the kibosh on jailbreaking) on certain later production date 3gs phones. Fortunately, I have one of the early 3gs phones and a non-tethered jailbreak.

No problem with 3gs jailbreak on OS 3.x with Blackra1n,... also the cirrus chips are amazing but no high output to drive some IEM's and bigger cans on headphone jack.

Jan 22, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #30 of 39
I would have to agree somewhat: the headphone out on my 1st gen touch is horrible
frown.gif

That is the reason I went and got a lod and amp to use with my headphones instead of the HP out.
IMO the 5th Gen Nano has a better HP out and I'm going to use that with my UE Super Fi 5s when I get those back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back