Ipods and hearing loss
May 9, 2005 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

backdrifter

100+ Head-Fier
edit

May 9, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 15
My recommendation:

Smash those included white buds to pieces and get white Sony EX51/71 or any other semi-canal/canal phone. The isolation will allow you to listen at dramatically lower volumes, and your ears will thank you for the rest of your life.

May 9, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 15
Uh oh, here come the nanny-state police--now we're going to read more and more about a generation of kids going deaf, and then maybe some congressional hearings, followed by volume caps similar to the EU. God help us all.

May 9, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 15
edit

May 9, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 15
Yeah, although I have noticed a lot more people recently using earplugs at concerts. I have mild tinnitus from too many LOUD conserts as a kid, and I definitely don't want it to get any worse.

May 9, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 15
I've started carring my ER-20s everywhere I go...just in case
icon10.gif

May 9, 2005 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by onionblaster
I've started carring my ER-20s everywhere I go...just in case
icon10.gif

Hey--no joke--I've started carrying earplugs lately everytime I go out because I have no idea when I'm going to end up in some loud club. How are the ER-20s?
Do they block sound pretty evenly along the spectrum?

May 9, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 15
ER-20's are great. They do block sound pretty evenly across the spectrum, while still letting enough through for you to retain your awareness of traffic, etc.

I use them a lot while traveling, especially at airports -- both inside the terminal (ever noticed how loud they are?) and while waiting at the taxi stand etc. It's great to be able to turn the volume down on the world.

May 10, 2005 at 8:01 AM Post #9 of 15
Talking about loud noices......I kind of pity for my friends and other teenagers.....(me myself is a teenager)

I went to an arcade shop once in my life, (that time, my family took a wrong esclator up, and it ended up in a aracde shop....and the esclator down was not working, we just had to enter the shop and exit through the other exit)...it was so freakin loud...I promise that I will not go into those shops anymore...

As for my friends, one time, I listened to my friend's iPod when he was listening (share the 2 earbuds), they turn so loud that I have to reject it....and I told them it is too loud....They were like 'Thats the right volume.....'

I pity them...

May 10, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #10 of 15
On some audio gear, there are these kind of warnings:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampeg site
The chart below shows the U.S. Government Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
which were in effect at the time of this publication for permissible noise exposure, per 29CRF1910, Table G-16.

SOUND LEVEL dBA - - DURATION PER DAY
SLOW RESPONSE - - - - IN HOURS
90 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 8
92 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 6
95 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 4
97 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 3
100 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2
102 - - - - - - - - - - - - 1-1/2
105 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1
110 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1/2
115 - - - - - - - - - - - 1/4 or less*

According to OSHA, any exposure in excess of those listed above could result in some hearing loss.

This, for example, was in my preamp's Owner's Manual.

*Taken from the Ampeg website

May 10, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by rextrade
Uh oh, here come the nanny-state police--now we're going to read more and more about a generation of kids going deaf, and then maybe some congressional hearings, followed by volume caps similar to the EU. God help us all.

That is the one thing more than anything that I am grateful to Apple for...

...Making the stupid volume limiter defeatable...

...Its up to ME if I want to listen to music loudly / make myself deaf... not up to some politician somewhere whose name I don't even know
frown.gif

That is what has put me totally off of [new school] Sony portable equipment... 0.5mw.. wahoo... thanks!!

May 11, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 15
This really annoys me too. I can't believe my sony CD player is reduced from 5mw to 1.5mw. 5mw is low enough anyway! The mw definately makes a difference because I had an old CF card mp3 player with 30mw per channel and the sound was just so much more powerful.

The way I know I'm not listening to music too loud is that before going out, I turn the volume down to safe levels in my bedroom and leave it at that volume when I go outside.

May 11, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 15
My ER-20's are getting plenty of use in blues band and marching band lately, and they go with me to any event involving PA amplification. Heck, the organist I was talking to today uses ER-20's because the organ is so loud in the church I was visiting.

As for street noise, SHURE there's a solution!

May 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Almost all my friends that have an ipod are always listening to it at around 90% volume using stock ear buds. The "Bass" is all distorted, and you can even hear the earbud vibrating. The highs almost make my ears bleed
rolleyes.gif

I know, Ex71 arent THAT great, but its a huge step compared to most headphones non-headfiers have
icon10.gif
When i showed them, they didnt care

"meh, its just headphones, not worth the 70 dollars!!"

It will be when i can still hear at age 80
wink.gif

May 12, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by titaniumx3
This really annoys me too. I can't believe my sony CD player is reduced from 5mw to 1.5mw. 5mw is low enough anyway! The mw definately makes a difference because I had an old CF card mp3 player with 30mw per channel and the sound was just so much more powerful.

By doubling the power (mW), you add 3 dBs.
Your headphones have a stated base sensitivity/eficiency listed in their specifications, and it goes XXX dB @ 1 mW.
If you give it 5 mWs, you get about 6-7 dBs more.

However, that 30 mW per channel is a very loud player. Especially for a portable. That should be about 14-15 dBs extra
eek.gif
With a very efficient headphone, it can reach levels of phisical pain - and even cause (severe) hearing loss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back