iPod4G,iBassoT2, EtysER4P-upgrade path?
Jun 16, 2007 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kamenal

Head-Fier
Hello! While I am quite happy with my setup, I started having this "upgraditis" itch. How can I improve SQ/comfort/isolation of my portable system? Would the Shure E500 be an overkill, considering iPod's compressed files? Any other tweaks and tricks you can advise me to try? I listen to classical mostly.
Thank you.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd personally start by upgrading the source files and then the amp. The phones should be revealing the quality of encoded files given the right source + amp. I know mine do (iPod > Tomahawk > ER-4p).

Jun 16, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 5
I had the ER4Ps, and for me, selling them and buying Atrio M5s was a listening improvement, and the M5s cost less than the Etys. Just more musical, the perfect mix of the musical spectrum, in fact. Why spend $500 when $130 on ebay will get you a fantastic upgrade. And this is not a slap at the Etys. I spent several hours A/B testing them with the M5s, and the Atrios won the battle, and the war. I was rooting for the Etys (the only reason I bought the M5s was I have an old set of softwear custom tips from FutureSonics, so I didn't want to waste them). Just my opinion, of course. Others will disagree. Read about the M5s on Head-Fi and see what you think.

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Although I am not a big fan of the Ety highs, I'd suggest you try the E500s before you purchase them. People that are accustomed to the Ety sound are not enjoying other eims that much. Another pair to audition would be the Triple-Fi. Also consider the coming Westone 3.

As for your upgrade path, first iMod your 4g. Then you'd be able to clearly descriminate between poorly compressed formats from high bit rates or uncompressed, which would lead you encode your files to better quality ones. Next, audition competing iems / purchase. Then I'd upgrade my amp. Finally, get a decent cable.

Jun 18, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for your replies. I surmise, that I am about 80% through the path to perfection and remaining 20% will be very complex and costly. I have to decide, if it is worth it for me. Thanks again for your ideas, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back