IPod.
Dec 26, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #16 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
Hm....I dislike marketing, but it's more like the marketing Sony used for their mp3 player line...saying that their 20 GB player held more music than the 20 GB iPod. Gah! All that means is that Sony uses higher compression! That's what bothers me.

No, It means that the 20GB HDD is actually closer to 20GB then the IPOD's.

Or the other.

Maybe both.
eek.gif

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
No, It means that the 20GB HDD is actually closer to 20GB then the IPOD's.

Or the other.

Maybe both.
eek.gif

How is that possible? Does the manufacturer of Sony's hard drives read 1gb as 1024 mb? From what I know, that manufacturers read 1gb as 1000 mb, not 1024.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #18 of 42
I'm more commenting on my surprise about how little these people know. I really had thought up until Friday that your average Joe Bestbuy knew that IPod is a certain model of a MP3 player, not an entire category separate form MP3 player.

I see that politely disagreeing with me is beyond some of you. No, saying that I don't agree with this guy's views isn't enough, I need to ridicule his writing too. Trying to make my posts interesting, not just saying "liek ogm ppl dunt no dat ipodz r just a kind of mp3 playa dey tink dat ipodz r difurunt form mp3 playaz!1". or mayb sertun ppl wuld b hapyer if i rited liek sterotyipikal fiften yer oldz.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
How is that possible? Does the manufacturer of Sony's hard drives read 1gb as 1024 mb? From what I know, that manufacturers read 1gb as 1000 mb, not 1024.

I think it might have something to do with the formatting, as commonly seen with PC ahrd drives. An 80GB drive is usually 74GB formatted, a 40GB drive is usually 36GB formatted, etc. Sonys 20GB drive's formatted space might have a gig or two on the formatted size of an Apple 20gb drive.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:31 PM Post #20 of 42
This is stupid. The wise person doesn't criticize the unwise, because, well, IT'S UNWISE.

No really. Let me put that another way.

Live your own life, and let the unimportant things pass you by, because this isn't important in the grand scheme of things, nor will it get you anywhere. If you want to help people out, teach them what an MP3 player really is, because most people with the interest and time are willing to learn, but not if you're going to be rude and obnoxious about it.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

I should mention, that this method of recording space is not incorrect, but correct.

1 GB = 1000MB. Yes.

1 GiB = 1024MB.

This is the standard measurement system, depending upon which number system you are using. Most people use the decimal number system, but most computer measurements are in binary, which is why most people think 1 GB = 1024 MB, which is in fact, not correct.

This is an IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard. http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

Not a thread jack, just a random comment.

Dec 26, 2004 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 42
I guess the marketing worked on me. I bought one because it was pretty. But then I got a black exo2 cover make for the 20GB one (I've got the 40GB model) which doesn't cover the iPod well and immediately became covered with dust and didn't protect the screen, so now it's ugly and masculine again.

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #24 of 42
I've always found iRiver's entire product line to be extremely good, that's why I bought an iFP-795 from them. They have .ogg support, but .ogg could've supported higher bitrates though
frown.gif

For the rest, great little device!

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I think it might have something to do with the formatting, as commonly seen with PC ahrd drives. An 80GB drive is usually 74GB formatted, a 40GB drive is usually 36GB formatted, etc. Sonys 20GB drive's formatted space might have a gig or two on the formatted size of an Apple 20gb drive.

Yeah, read Jeff's post above mine, thats exactly what I am talking about. Using that standard, how can Sony's 20gb drives have more space than the iPods? It's physically impossible, unless they are just referring to the encoding of the songs, which the average joe would never figure out.

The only way I can imagine that is if Apple's drives are measured in GB, and Sony's are in GiB.

Dec 26, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor
I'm more commenting on my surprise about how little these people know. I really had thought up until Friday that your average Joe Bestbuy knew that IPod is a certain model of a MP3 player, not an entire category separate form MP3 player.

Correction: The entire category of mp3(DA) player.

Quote:

Incorrect formatting only writes the basic file system structure, and (usually) zeros the rest, IIRC, definatly not several gigs.

Quote:

I should mention, that this method of recording space is not incorrect, but correct.

1 GB = 1000MB. Yes.

1 GiB = 1024MB.

This is the standard measurement system, depending upon which number system you are using. Most people use the decimal number system, but most computer measurements are in binary, which is why most people think 1 GB = 1024 MB, which is in fact, not correct.

This is an IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) standard. http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html

I'm not suprised that Windows is not standards complient here too.

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Yeah, read Jeff's post above mine, thats exactly what I am talking about. Using that standard, how can Sony's 20gb drives have more space than the iPods? It's physically impossible, unless they are just referring to the encoding of the songs, which the average joe would never figure out.

The only way I can imagine that is if Apple's drives are measured in GB, and Sony's are in GiB.

The drive may be a few bytes larger (like 15k, perhaps)

Usually drives aren't spot on when it comes # of bits. (IE, most 10GB drives are a bit or two more then 80,000,000,000 bits)

Dec 26, 2004 at 10:03 PM Post #29 of 42
I am aware of certain differences in hard drive formatting, but I'm sticking to the idea that Sony gets its numbers using extremely compressed music. Who actually uses 48 kbps?
sonycompression.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back