iPod with iMod / Shure E500 and What Amp / Dock ?
Dec 20, 2006 at 6:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

rajs

Head-Fier
Thanks for helping out ... I feel like a noobie again as I haven't paid attention in over 12 months.

Been using my iPod Nano (gen 1) with my Shure E500 for a while now and am going on a long trip in ~ 1 month and want to upgrade my portable setup and have some money set aside.

What would you recommend -- I was thinking along the following line - but I've been out of touch so feel free to suggust otherwise:

Buy an 4th Gen iPod with the RedwineAudio iMod done to it
Buy a Dock Connector (suggust something please not sure what is best -- but want it to be sturdy as I am not gentle with stuff *grin*)
Buy a portable Amp -- Ray Samuel's Audio Hornet ???
Continue to use Shure E500

Or do you recommend something else -- but I do want to continue to use the Shure E500's. Was reading the Zune and others might be better then the iPod.

Thanks again,

- raj

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #3 of 21
I just got my iMod, and it is great, strongly, strongly suggested.

If you get an iMod, the headphone jack becomes a line-out and the dock connector is disconnected. So instead of getting a dock connector, you want to get a nice mini-to-mini. A lot of people around here really like Ken's stuff at Audiolineout.com (he makes mini to mini's as well as dock connectors).

You can find information on the iMod at redwineaudio.com. Vinnie from RWA just said in a recent post that he bought a bunch of refurbished iPods for $199 and can simply use one of those for your iMod.

I would suggest order soon since it takes people a little while to make this stuff (but you, of course, have a bit of time to research first).

-- David

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:56 AM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by debrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you get an iMod, the headphone jack becomes a line-out and the dock connector is disconnected. So instead of getting a dock connector, you want to get a nice mini-to-mini. A lot of people around here really like Ken's stuff at Audiolineout.com (he makes mini to mini's as well as dock connectors).

You can find information on the iMod at redwineaudio.com. Vinnie from RWA just said in a recent post that he bought a bunch of refurbished iPods for $199 and can simply use one of those for your iMod.

I would suggest order soon since it takes people a little while to make this stuff (but you, of course, have a bit of time to research first).

-- David

I second that. BTW I love my E500s with the iMod and my Portaphile V2^2maxxed amp.
etysmile.gif
The Xin Supermacro IV is also popular.

Dec 20, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the RSA Hornet and an ALO dock for the E500s...AMAZING combination.

No need for a dock. Just a mini to mini interconnect.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chef Medeski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No need for a dock. Just a mini to mini interconnect.

He'll need a dock if he doesn't go the iMod route.

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He'll need a dock if he doesn't go the iMod route.

True...

But the OP actually states that he's looking at getting an iPod with an iMod done on it. And the topic is called iPod with iMod/Shure E500 and What Amp/Dock?

Dec 20, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True...

But the OP actually states that he's looking at getting an iPod with an iMod done on it. And the topic is called iPod with iMod/Shure E500 and What Amp/Dock?

Ahhh...true. I completely misread his intentions cause he mentions a nano too.
icon10.gif

Dec 20, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by debrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I third this. My iMod is connected to a XIN SM IV (beware, build time is long!) via a Wyvern AG16. Great sounding rig. Lots of good ICs out there and Ken's ALO seem to be very popular and good.

Dec 21, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for the responses -- what would be better if I had to choose one of the following:

Option A)
iPod Nano (1st gen) - already own
Shure E500 - already own
RSA Hornet - need to buy
ALO dock connector (tell me which type is best for sound)

Option B)
iPod 4th Gen with RedWineAudio Mod - need to buy
Shure E500 - already own
ALO mini to mini connector (tell me which is best type for sound)
Portable Amp (something cheaper then the Hornet - please recommend)

Thanks for all your help

- raj

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 21
I would definitely suggestion option B.

My guess is that it would sound better. But, perhaps even more importantly, it'll be easier to upgrade should you desire to do so down the road. Once you had a ALO and iMod and a top line amp, you would pretty much have the best possible set up. If you went for option A and then decided to do an iMod, you would have to also buy a new interconnect.

Go-Vibe V5 and Little Dot Micro+ and probably the most popular sub-100 amps. The Xin Micro is considered amazing at 180, but has about a 3 month lead time.

Dec 21, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #13 of 21
Last question - I promise.

Would a Zune mated with my Shure E500's be better sounding then the below:

Shure E500 - already own
ALO mini to mini connector - need to buy
RSA Hornet - need to buy

It seems people have said the Zune is really clean and good sounding.

Dec 21, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 21
Do a search on here for the iMod. I have seen a number of people say that they have never heard a better sounding DAP and some say that they couldn't imagine a better sounding one.

-- David

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by rajs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses -- what would be better if I had to choose one of the following:

Option B)
Shure E500 - already own
ALO mini to mini connector (tell me which is best type for sound)
Portable Amp (something cheaper then the Hornet - please recommend)

Thanks for all your help

- raj

The ALO Cryo is a popular model...which I have with Rt. Angle Plugs. I saw another head-fier with an ALO Jumbo Cryo and his opinion was that there was a 10% increase over the regualr Cryo. When I asked Ken which one to go with for my iMod he recommended the Cryo. You should e-mail him directly any questions you may have and I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly with an answer. He did every time I emailed him.

In terms of Amps cheaper than the Hornet, you could go with the following:
XIN Supermacro IV,
Portaphile PV2^2maxxed (for a limited time) (I have this one and it is nice)
Go Vibe ,, as stated above by Debrey who just purchased one so you may be able to ask him how it sounds
and others...
You should check out the Amp section of Head-Fi, there are some good reviews over there.

Good Luck

BTW iMOD + ALO Mini2Mini + Good Amp + E500s = Happy Head-Fier
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back