iPod / windows compatibility ?
Mar 4, 2002 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
any first hand experience from PC users and iPod? i have firewire on my PC...and i've been told that shareware exists to allow the iPod to be used with windows-based jukebox software.

...or do i just buy the 20 gig PJB for $429 with the Koss35 included...and stop looking?

<then of course, maybe add the Ety 4P 's.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Robster1958
any first hand experience from PC users and iPod? i have firewire on my PC...and i've been told that shareware exists to allow the iPod to be used with windows-based jukebox software.

...or do i just buy the 20 gig PJB for $429 with the Koss35 included...and stop looking?

<then of course, maybe add the Ety 4P 's.....
smily_headphones1.gif

Do not buy the PJB of sound quality is very important for you. It has a slight hiss with headphones < 100 ohms impedance, no line out and overall a rather mediocre sound quality.

An MP3 copied to my MZ-R50 minidisc player sounded distinctively better from the MD than from the PJB.

I think that the PJB is often attributed high quality sound in reviews is only due to their supplied Porta Pros.

Mar 4, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I've used a PJB for a couple of years now and I don't believe they hiss, not with Etymotics, MDR-888 buds or Grado SR-60s. Could you have one of the units that should have been recalled? A small number were fitted with incorrect capacitors in the output stage. (Check egroups.com, pjb100 SIG).

The iPod is really nice but 5G is a little too small, and it doesn't have a line out either. There are rumors that the size will be bumped to 10G and Windows compatability will be included after the Japan Macworld at the end of March. It might be worth waiting.

Mar 5, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #4 of 9
Mar 5, 2002 at 5:57 AM Post #5 of 9
I recently got a PJB-100, and I think the sound quality is great. Unfortunately, the headphone jack does have hiss, but if you use a cheap $5 Radio Shack volume control and set the PJB's output to max, the hiss seems to be gone. I haven't really sat there trying to analyze the sound, but it does sound mighty good through my Ety ER-4P's.

Mar 6, 2002 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 9
There have been some weird issues with mediafour's software and the ipod, which is actually due to some problem with windows. Check their forums. However, they appear to be hard at work on a solution.

Anyway, a few Mac rumor sites have been reporting that Windows compatibility (along with a 10GB HD) for the ipod will come by summer when apple supposedly will update iTunes.

Rumor only of course, so take it for what you will.

Michael

Mar 6, 2002 at 8:09 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
I've used a PJB for a couple of years now and I don't believe they hiss, not with Etymotics, MDR-888 buds or Grado SR-60s. Could you have one of the units that should have been recalled? A small number were fitted with incorrect capacitors in the output stage. (Check egroups.com, pjb100 SIG).

No, I had one with the correct caps. The hiss was not the main problem either, but the overall sound quality. Compared to the MZ-R50, the PJB sounds rathers like a cheap cassette walkman and as I mentioned, not due to the quality of the MP3s used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back