iPod wedding - Portable Speaker Advice
May 31, 2007 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

leighp

New Head-Fier
Hi All...
I am in a pickle and need the advice of experts - like you!!

A friend of mine is getting married soon and she has put me in charge of the music. She does not want to get a DJ due to the expense and would prefer to use and iPod or laptop and buy speakers so she can use them again.

Her reception is for about 20-30 people, on an outdoor patio. A friend has recommended a portable PA system - like this:

http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?so...ProductID=9347

BUT i think she would prefer to get something smaller so she can reuse it. Can you recommend any portable speakers that would work for a situation like this? I've done a lot of reading and have 2or3 recommendations but there's no where I can go listen before she buys them.

Help, please!!
smily_headphones1.gif

-p

May 31, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 9
I think that, at a minimum, you should consider the Logitech mm50 travel speakers. They can run off of their own internal iPod-like battery, or off of electrical current. They can fill a room with sound -- haven't used mine in an outdoor social setting with lots of people talking, so I don't know how they'll suit the situation. Just what volume of sound do you think will be needed? Is this going to be background music, or do you want loud, "up-front" dance music?

If background music, the Logitechs should suffice. They are about the size of a computer keyboard and are highly portable -- they'll fit in a briefcase, backpack, etc. in the zip-up travel case that comes with them, and they're usable a wide variety of situations. Check out some user reviews online -- they might be a good baseline to consider. Available online around $95-$115 ... more at some retail stores. I have two friends who use their Logitechs in their homes, for exercise or background music.

Of course, if you want more volume and bass, there are larger, transportable (as opposed to truly portable) speaker sets such as those offered by Bose and other manufacturers, up to $400 (sold in Apple stores and major electronics chains ... but they'd be la bit less expensive online). As with many things, the extra money doesn't mean they're that much better ... louder, perhaps, but not necessarily better quality sound.

Hope you get some good recommendations -- more detail on what the envisioned usage would be could help.

Edit: PS -- an existing or a newly purchased "value-priced" shelf stereo unit with an "Aux In" port would work, too. Connect the line out on an iPod dock to the Aux In, and have all the volume you would need for a party that size. For example, there are some good prices online for shelf systems by Panasonic, plus you or someone you know might have an available small stereo to use for this purpose. Not all smaller stereos have an Aux In, though, so you'd want to be sure about that.

Jun 1, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: PS -- an existing or a newly purchased "value-priced" shelf stereo unit with an "Aux In" port would work, too.

That's exactly what I'd look at using. Most people either have one already or know someone who does. Should do the trick nicely.

Put the iPod volume (assuming you don't have a line-out dock) at somewhere between 50 and 75%. Lower might be noisy, higher might introduce distortion. Find a good sound with adjustment, but somewhere between the two (prabably closer to 75%) should be good.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind having seperate speakers (that sound fabulous) then how about a pair of Audioengine A5's? There's been reviews that they sound excellent, and a few Head-Fiers have them and also say they sound great.

These sure look like a nice option that later could be re-used at home.

Jun 1, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Unless the venue is very small, I'd seriously consider renting a pair of powered PA speakers (Like the JBL EON15) from a pro audio shop. It's really hard to fill up a decent sized space without some real PA, and they're not that expensive to rent.

Jun 1, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 9
The Audioengines look very promising.

Also, leighp, much depends on how much sound you want/need to crank out. But there are several options listed here that might work while still allowing for ongoing future use (if that's a desired factor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back