Ipod w/ amp- Line out or heaphone jack
Aug 31, 2004 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kbuzz

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All

I am new to the headphone game and like using the ipod with my woo audio headphone amp, signal cable to senn 600 combo (could use a little bass however)

I currently use the headphone jack out to the woo amp. I noticed that the bass improves when the volume is turned up on the ipod and lowered on the amp. However, a wee bit distortion or blurring happens here. IN contrast, using lower volume on the i pod and higher volume on the amp has a nice sound but looses some bass and dynamics.

I like using the headphone out so i dont have to mount a bass station (with the line out) and can carry the woo amp and ipod room to room.

Should I really be using the line out. Am i losing a alot my using the headpohne out ? Anyone have any suggestions? All opinions would be appriecated Thanks

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbuzz
Hello All
Should I really be using the line out. Am i losing a alot my using the headpohne out ? Anyone have any suggestions? All opinions would be appriecated Thanks

Welcome to Head-Fi, kbuzz.
The line-out will provide you with a much cleaner signal..........your distortion will then be solely a function of your amp's quality, not the internal amp of the iPod. Good luck.
biggrin.gif

Aug 31, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 11
welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet!

if you have something as nice as a woo audio amp already, an extra 30 bucks to get either a pocketdock or a sik din/imp shouldn't be a stretch. invest in a line out and you won't go wrong - you won't have to use eq anymore, etc.

Aug 31, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 11
Sik Din is better than Pocketdock. No HD whirr/static noise. Clearly sound better than headphone jack.

Aug 31, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Thank you for all for the reply to my post. Regarding the din. Is it as easy as just plugging in the male mini side of my 1/8" Stereo Mini plug mini to stereo rca cables directly into the female mini side of the sik din? Then plugging the din into the bottom of the ipod. Do I have to cut off the fire wire side?

Thanks again. FYI The signal cable cable mini to rca is pretty good for the money. i plugged it into my reference system and was pretty impressed with the smoothness. Dont know how it compete with say the zu pivot but definately a good value

Aug 31, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbuzz
Thank you for all for the reply to my post. Regarding the din. Is it as easy as just plugging in the male mini side of my 1/8" Stereo Mini plug mini to stereo rca cables directly into the female mini side of the sik din? Then plugging the din into the bottom of the ipod. Do I have to cut off the fire wire side?

yes, it's plug and play. cutting off the firewire cable is up to you...some people use it - to charge their iPods or also for car-charging. i kept mine on...i'll see how much i use it before cutting it off.

Sep 1, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Regarding the Pocketdock with Line Out, I would offer an alternative view. First, with my 3rd generation iPod, I hear no whirring or other noise whatever. For those who are debating between the Pocketdock and Sik, you might also want to consider the convenience of not having to deal with the extra cord that exists on the Sik.

The only downside of the Pocketdock is that only certain cases work with it. You can find compatible cases at www.sendstation.com. That's not a problem with me, since I have my iPod secure in the very soft inside pocket found in Waterfield's iPod Gear Pouch (www.sfbags.com).

Sep 1, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bahamaman
Regarding the Pocketdock with Line Out, I would offer an alternative view. First, with my 3rd generation iPod, I hear no whirring or other noise whatever. For those who are debating between the Pocketdock and Sik, you might also want to consider the convenience of not having to deal with the extra cord that exists on the Sik.

That is what it boils down to- one less connection from source to ear. My pocketdock is silent on my 3g, although it will resonate with defective 4g ipods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back