iPod vs NJB3
May 9, 2003 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Watchdog

500+ Head-Fier
I had firmly decided to get the NJB3 about 2 weeks ago and was all set to order when Apple finally announced the new iPods. So after seeing that the iPod had a true line out, that I could run it off an adaptor even after the battery dies (this unit will get use as a home jukebox as well), and coming AAC support meant that the only significant feature (that I want) that the iPod still does not have is the ability to record from other sources.

Even at that SPAD's post about the "tick" in between songs made me hesitant but in the end I decided to order a 30GB iPod.

Given it was so hard to decide and these units will also serve as home jukeboxes so that I can store my CD's in a closet, means that I'll also get a NJB3 down the road as well
biggrin.gif

I should take possession of the iPod next week and I can't wait.

Yep, Head-Fi is bad for the bank account.

biggrin.gif

May 9, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 8
I think you made a wise choice. I've been using my iPod docked with a Melos and META with some good results.
cool.gif

May 9, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 8
Congratulations, Watchdog. I agree with Lextek, the dock really adds to the versatility of the new models. I'm glad you didn't let any carping on my part dissuade you. I still think the iPod is a phenomenal product and the best of its kind.

May 9, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Ipod. The threads about the IPods sound quality made me hesitate alittle too but I bought one and I'm very happy.

May 9, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 8
With all the little nits against the iPod i.e. tick, battery, I was close not to getting one but the one thing that really convinced me to get an iPod, more than anything.

It seems that an overwhelming majority of iPod owners are very happy with their purchase.

If you go to www.cnet.com there are a lot of users who say they're unhappy with the iPod. I read through all of the negative ratings and almost all of the negative ratings come from people who DON'T OWN an iPod.

Just people going onto the board who want to complain about what they don't like. In a way I think this speaks even more to the iPods success that so many people who don't own one feel compelled to say they don't like it. If the product was just plain bad then people who don't own the product probably don't bother to say anything.

I have a couple of friends who own iPods and they say, yeah it's expensive but they never regret buying one.

May 9, 2003 at 6:50 AM Post #6 of 8
This thread seems to be the most appropriate one. I'm going to get a summer job and I think that I can fit a new HDD DAP into my budget. I'm leaning toward the new Apple iPod (30 GB) because I'm intrigued by its design and support for AAC. I do have a few questions. Can I wrap an AAC file into an MP4 file and still play it? I like to keep it simple stupid; so, I want to stick to Ahead NERO for ripping/encoding of AAC/MP4 files onto my new DAP. Besides the educational discount, are there any other discounts? How do you guys feel about extended warranties? I read a couple of articles pointing out that they are win/win situations for both the retail seller and yourself. By the way, do they sell the new iPods through computer shows? Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Umm...I got more questions!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Has anyone considered buying the Belkin battery pack? It looks kind of gimmicky but if it works, hey! Just wondering if anyone has bought that as well. I've heard talk that a Windows PC iPod will come out supporting AAC sometime this summer. Is this a legitimate rumor or does Apple not intend to give Windows PC users AAC support? Lastly, any news from Creative about a new Zen or Nomad Jukebox that will support AAC? My concern is not physical dimensions but sound quality, battery life, battery replaceability, and AAC support. Thanks.

May 9, 2003 at 8:51 AM Post #7 of 8
I'm considering the Belkin battery pack. I think the port at the bottom will open the door for a lot of goodies in the near future. I'm sure others will offer battery packs, fireqwire, line out (small version for portable use) and my a FM tuner.
cool.gif

May 9, 2003 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 8
You can be sure Apple is eager to provide AAC support to the Windows wing. It would mean a vastly greater market for their music venture as well as a boost for already phenomenal iPod sales. The rumor is that iTunes is about to be ported to Windows and, if so, that should be the clincher.

If possible, find a knowledgeable Mac OSX user with an iPod and check out the smooth iTunes/iPod integration. And while you're at it, do a little blind comparison of 256kbps MP3s and 160kbps AACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back