iPod vs. iHP: LOADING & MANAGING MUSIC: The Showdown
May 3, 2004 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

austonia

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm starting a new thread because some people don't seem to get how easy it is load & manage music on on an Apple iPod, compared to an iRiver iHP. I own both.

Let's start with the iRiver iHP.
1) Turn on player
2) Connect to any PC via USB
3) PC Auto-detects hardware
4) Start>Run>Explorer.exe or Start>My Computer>Hard Disk Drives, etc
5) Make your own directories, Copy whatever you want, etc

vs.

iPod
1) Connect to PC via USB or Firewire, iPod auto-powers on
2) PC Auto-detects hardware
3) iTunes auto-launches, or run Ephpod
4) Drag and Drop Mp3's to either program, database is updated

Q: Is iPod a Mass Storage Device, like the iHP, in that it needs no drivers to be detected by windows. YES.

Q: Redundant: Does the iPod show up in Windows as an external hard drive, like the iHP, without any drivers or software? YES. drag and drop any file to either player.

Q: Does iPod NEED software to load music onto its database? YES, use either iTunes, Ephod, Anapod, etc

Q: Does iHP NEED software to load music onto it's database? YES, you must the iRiver Manager Program. Has severe restriction that it will not add any track with a filename longer then 52 characters.

Q: Does the iHP NEED software to load music and onto its hard drive? YES, like any hardware. There's no magic here. Use Explorer.exe or others. File Explorer happens to be built into windows so its very handy. But you do need SOMETHING.

Q: Isn't the iHP better because you don't have to install any program on a PC to transfer music to it? Yes, and NO. You don't HAVE to install a program on a PC to transfer music to the iPod either, however, it takes a one-time setup of 5 minutes to do this forever.

How?

1) Download and unpack Ephod.
2) Copy Ephpod directory to iPod's hard drive
3) Connect iPod to any PC in the world
4) Run Ephpod from iPod's hard drive
5) Drag and Drop music to and from Ephpod

Conclusion: Both the iPod and iHP can be used on any windows PC at school, or work, or wherever without installing any software or Drivers.

On to Management.

With the iHP, you create directories and store your music however you like. You can then see the contents of the drive on the player's screen and navigate by file/folder view. Sounds great right? A couple of problems here.
1) You have to create and manage the directories yourself. For a couple of albums, no problem. But on a 20 or 40gb player, this could mean hundreds of directories.
2) There is no track search function in file/folder view. My iHP-140 has 10,000 tracks on it. I'm not senile, but really, if you want to find one single track, you better have a damn good memory to remember where every one is stored.
3) I'm not even going to discuss the iHP's ID3-tag database feature because it ignored 25% of the tracks I tried to add to it for having filenames that were too long. Disgusting.

... but the iHP has one main advantage, or so it seems. You don't have to have all your MP3's (or OGG's, whatever) properly tagged since you are ID'ing each song my filename only on the iHP. Some people have downloaded stuff from the internet and the ID3 tags in thier MP3's can be messed up. And it can take a lot of time to go through hundreds or thousands of tracks and correct that info.

BUT, FILENAMES CAN BE MESSED UP AS WELL. The stuff you get from the usual filesharing networks.

So, whether you correct the ID3 tags, or filenames, you still have to cleanup the information that describes each track you download from Kazaa or whatever. For MP3's you make from your own CD, or ones that are bought from a download outlet, the filename and ID3 tags should be accurate from the start. But they still may need to be changed to your usual track-filename format, whatever that my be.

Note that, if you have the filenames of your tracks in a sensible format, like:
Artist - Track.mp3
Artist - Album - Track# - Title.mp3
Arist directory/Album directory/Track# - Title.mp3
...then there are programs like ID3 Tag/Studio that can take automatically read the filenames, create the appropriate ID3 tags, and properly tag all your tracks for you.

With the iPod, using an ID3-tag database, the iPod keeps track of where all the files are actually stored on the iPod's hard drive. You do not need to know which directory any of the music is stored in to find what you want. That's all handled in the background by iPod.

You just add music to the player through a program (iTunes, Ephod, Anapod), and the iPod takes the ID3 tag information from each and adds them to its own internal database. You can then sort them by Artist, Album, Title, Genre or Composer. You can see a spreadsheet-like list of all the tracks in the iTunes and Ephpod, and sort the spreadsheet view however you like to see what's on the iPod. On the iPod itself, you just pick a catagory (Artist, Album, etc) and the iPod gives you a list of those items for you to pick the one you want.

However, to make the iPod's ID3 tag database effective, you need to have all those tracks properly tagged. As I said before that can take some time with crap from Kazaa, but ripping programs like EAC, MusicMatch, Winamp, etc.. will do the tagging for you, for your own CD's. They do this by contacting internet CD databases, determining which CD you are ripping, and adding the tag data to each track automatically. Sometimes you will still need to adjust them to your own format (like chaging "The Doors" to "Doors" so it shows up in he D section of the Artist list), but the same holds true for filenames on the iHP.

Of course, it all boils down to personal preference.

But one point I am making is that they are equally capable of being used on any PC without any software or drivers on the target windows PC. They both take effort to organize the music in a way that works best for the user, whether its by filenames and directories (iHP) or ID3 tags (iPod). I am arguing it is easier load music on the iPod, BECAUSE it uses a program to do so and the program manages all the archiving details for you. Both iPod and iHP are drag-n-drop loading. But the iHP requires the user to micro-manage where the music is being loaded to (directories). I am also arguing it is more effecient to manage music on the iPod, because you can see its contents in spreadsheet-like format and sort them by any catagory. I am arguing it is easier to find what you want to hear on the iPod because it sorts them by ID3-tag fields (Artist, Album, track, genre, composer), and you just pick from a list. As opposed to hunting through directories on the iHP to find what you want, with no search capability.

OK that's it. Anything I didn't consider?

May 3, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 31
Maybe only to mention the fact that iTunes really comes into it's own when you're managing collections bigger than the portable. I've used them all. Musicmatch's (+ Ephpod for loading) tagging is invaluable but everything else is pretty much ho-hum, jRiver's features are overwhelming and potentially useful, and iRivium is also pretty good (based on my experiences with Notmad).

jRiver is probaby the best of the bunch for the iHP (as far as my experience with the iHP with jriver and with Notmad and the NJB3 goes... the feature sets and modus operandi of Notmad and iRivium look pretty much the same), and cohabitates well with other means of getting music on your PC unlike iTunes... but it's still not in the same class as iTunes for managing your music. jRiver and Anapod's out there for iPod too of course...

May 3, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 31
Terrific post, Austonia. It was iPod's superior music management technique that swung my father-in-law from the iRiver to the iPod. BTW, he's from Germany and I am taking his new 40GB to Germany this Thursday whereupon he will embark on ripping the best tracks from his 1500+ cd collection.

And further, BTW, the 40GB is approximately 600 US dollars in Germany. When you combine that with the favorable Euro/Dollar exchange rate (favorable to him, that is) he'll end up saving nearly $200 by buying in America.

May 3, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by austonia
OK, i havn't tried thie Jriver thing or Irvium yet. I assume they cost extra..? Kind of a turn-off.

Yes it is, but every unswayable iHP enthusiast drags out these separate packages when music management is mentioned. It's not a fair fight, but it's worth comparing in anycase... The thing is though that even with the extra packages which you have to pay for the iHP cannot win on the management issue. I was using the iHP with MC10 and it's the closest it got to the iPod.. but the software felt comparatively clunky in general use (although it does a whole lot more... rather like the iHP itself). However you can try jRiver for 30 days and it's only $25 right now. iRivium's about the same as well, no?

The two have other selling points though... the Audiomorphing (questionably reliability? I haven't used it a lot) of iRivium/Notmad and and the similar features of jRiver are great if you want to keep lossless on your PC and lossy on your portable. (there's a time element too of course to this) The 'standard' streaming of iRivium's also pretty useful to some, I would imagine.

May 3, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Yes it is, but every unswayable iHP enthusiast drags out these separate packages when music management is mentioned. It's not a fair fight, but it's worth comparing in anycase... The thing is though that even with the extra packages which you have to pay for the iHP cannot win on the management issue. I was using the iHP with MC10 and it's the closest it got to the iPod.. but the software felt comparatively clunky in general use (although it does a whole lot more... rather like the iHP itself). However you can try jRiver for 30 days and it's only $25 right now. iRivium's about the same as well, no?

Accually I don't find MC10 clumcy. I think its a lot easier to use then evil iTunes... but i'm a long-time-user so I guess it dosenøt count
tongue.gif
. In iTunes there isn't a 'playing now' and if you drag en drop the same file in twice it'll be twice in the libary.

I agree with you, austonia, I find database easier and more useful then harddrive location

May 3, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 31
There isn't? The display at the top?

I'm exploring jRiver quite seriously at the moment for use with the iPod... Lossless->Lossy conversion is something I might end up placing as the most important feature. However it's just not as immediate as iTunes.

May 3, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 31
bangra, I think what pank means is that there isn't a list of songs currently queued up... the thing at the top just shows the one song currently playing. But in iTunes 4.5 there is a little button by that display which will take you to the place in your library where the currently playing song is, so it's a bit better than it used to be.

May 3, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
The two have other selling points though... the Audiomorphing (questionably reliability? I haven't used it a lot) of iRivium/Notmad and and the similar features of jRiver are great if you want to keep lossless on your PC and lossy on your portable. (there's a time element too of course to this) The 'standard' streaming of iRivium's also pretty useful to some, I would imagine.

Good points. I will certainly have to check them out and see how well they help improve the manageing the iHP on a PC. I've got Dudebox for my DJ which has been excellent so I'm sure RedChair has done an equal job with iRvium.

For me the iHP is the best player for dumping old napster-era tracks into directories. Random stuff that I don't know what album they came from, and the quality isn't there to bother with tagging them. And also the albums I picked up from USENET when I was into that. A few EAC/LAME'd albums for SQ testing, but otherwise, it's my MP3 garbage bin. heh

May 3, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pomegranate
bangra, I think what pank means is that there isn't a list of songs currently queued up... the thing at the top just shows the one song currently playing. But in iTunes 4.5 there is a little button by that display which will take you to the place in your library where the currently playing song is, so it's a bit better than it used to be.

exacly what I ment. I haven't tried the current version of iTunes, as a former version - not sure which one... the only one I've tried - used my all of my systemresources.

Quote:

I'm exploring jRiver quite seriously at the moment for use with the iPod... Lossless->Lossy conversion is something I might end up placing as the most important feature. However it's just not as immediate as iTunes.

Matt said something about the next build, proberbly today, will have improved on-the-fly conversatioin... Their builds are usually out around 11 GMT+1.
Sure, iTunes is proberbly easier to use for some... hell, my german budy can figure it out
tongue.gif
. I haven't tried it much, I just remeber I annoyed me a lot that there was no 'playing now' queeing list

May 3, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by pank2002
the only one I've tried - used my all of my systemresources.

Then, you might like to know, 4.5 (came out last week) uses much less resources than the previous version.

May 3, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #12 of 31
All I know is my music has been backed up to DVD's and a 1 TB file server using artist/album based technique.
So it works for me.
I am safe for the forseeable uture.
I have about 200GB filled up with FLAC albums.
I am a happy papy.
then again i don't know anyone here in Adelaide at least who has a 1TB file storage setup.

I am still deciding Ipod or IHP.

BTW does nayone know if it is possible to put a higher capacity battery in Ipod say like a 1600mAH battey which holds more charge.

Cheers
Kunwar

May 3, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 31
You can get a 'bigger battery' for the iPod, but it still <100mAh, I think it like 750 but I'm not sure. Somebody @ the iPodlounge reported that it wasen't better, but it wasn't very scientific either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back