Ipod vs clip, few questions.
Nov 27, 2010 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

moofs

100+ Head-Fier
So I need a bigger mp3 player for my music. I've narrowed it down to 2. The current 7th gen. ipod classic. Or a sansa clip.

Cost:
Ipod classic: 220
Sansa clip, and 32gb micro SD: 100

Which would you get? 4gb clip's are on sale at my bestbuy for 30 instead of 50. Only thing is, I hear I cant put in any music i've bought off itunes. True? Did they make rockbox stable enough yet? And how much space will rock box take up on the mp3 player?

Thanks. I only use this to listen with yuin pk3 headphones and in my car.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll get the classic. After storing 32gb worth of music in the clip, is going to take forever to find the album/song you want on that small screen. You might consider the fuze as well.

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
I'll get the classic. After storing 32gb worth of music in the clip, is going to take forever to find the album/song you want on that small screen. You might consider the fuze as well.

I don't have any problems with my Clip+ 8+16GB filled to capacity, and that's filled with lossy files....nearly 3,000 songs. Rockbox is stable, and works perfectly with non-protected AAC tunes.....and RB only takes up a little space....less than 30MB on mine.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 12
IMO
The clip+ Rockboxed is far more versatile in the EQ department.
I have a 16Gb card in mine and the database feature works well for selecting albums or artists (save your database to ram)
The only time the clip+ updates the library is when after you add new songs to it (not everytime you switch it on)
I use a big font that gives me 2 lines to the screen.
I dont know how the classic compares to the 2g touch in SQ, but i find the EQ on the touch very limited.
I use a Parametric EQ App to make the sound more comparable to the Clip+.
If you can rockbox the classic then you have the option to go either way, but value for money would go to the clip+.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #8 of 12
btw, which sounds better unamped, fuze or clip? I like how small and carry-able the clip is. The Fuze is like 60 and the clip is 40. Then plus 70/80 for the 32gb card. 

I wont ever be adding an amp. 
I'll be using yin pk3's.

Which would be best for this?
I'm just worried about two things, so if someone can help me with this:

1. Can I put the AAC apple songs I got from from the apple store on it?
2. If I ever get a new computer, and I want to put my music back on it, how easy is it to take it from the the clip/fuze and transfer it onto the computer? Most of my stuff is between 192-320 kbps besides a few flac files. (they will all stay in the format they are in correct?)

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
btw, which sounds better unamped, fuze or clip? I like how small and carry-able the clip is. The Fuze is like 60 and the clip is 40. Then plus 70/80 for the 32gb card. 

I wont ever be adding an amp. 
I'll be using yin pk3's.

Which would be best for this?
I'm just worried about two things, so if someone can help me with this:

1. Can I put the AAC apple songs I got from from the apple store on it?
2. If I ever get a new computer, and I want to put my music back on it, how easy is it to take it from the the clip/fuze and transfer it onto the computer? Most of my stuff is between 192-320 kbps besides a few flac files. (they will all stay in the format they are in correct?)

The two players sound exactly the same to me. As far as taking the tunes back off the player and on to your computer, it is simple drag and drop/copy and paste, as long as it is in MSC USB mode, which you need for Rockbox.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #10 of 12
Any info on the ACC apple files?

I'm actually curious, since basically all my songs r MP3's. Is it even worth to rockbox it? Might just put it in MSC USB mode for drag/drop. And leave the player as is for now, doesnt it sound good out of the box with the EQ off? Thats what I saw in a review but I'm not sure.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #11 of 12
I actually do not like the rockbox UI for the clip+ so i removed it IMO it just seemed to crammed for the screen you have to put the thing close to your face to see what the hell your doing, although theirs a lot of people that prefer it and I'm not one of them. Leave the EQ of on the clip+, IMO the EQ is horrible without Rockbox then again i didnt leave the Rockbox on mine long enough to see if that EQ was any better. JMO though.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Well I have a few songs from itunes so I can just drop those in if I use rockbox right?

yes clip+ with rockbox will play aac files (itunes m4a)
Everything is drag and drop with the clip+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back