iPod Video or Creative ZVM / Which is Less Fragile
Aug 20, 2006 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GregBe

100+ Head-Fier
I am not talking about cosmetic scratches. Which one can take more banging around (not that I am planning to abuse it). The ZVM gets a lot of credit for being sturdier, but is that just because it looks chunkier?
Thanks
Greg

Aug 20, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #4 of 8
not sure what you mean by fragile. The iPod has more of a chance of being scratched due to the front and back is scratchable, as opposed to the ZVM, where only the front is. This is, of course, easily remedied with a case.

They're both 1.8" HDD players, so they're both going have the same chance of breaking.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
They're both 1.8" HDD players, so they're both going have the same chance of breaking.

True to an extent, but a large factor of the durability would be how well the HDD is shock protected and how tough the actual case is. Of course, it's always a good idea to buy a case for your DAP, my old 4g 20gig B&W iPod died recently, not the hard drive, but something on the motherboard (No, I won't sell it for parts). I didn't use a case, but it lasted a good year and... 8 months, I suppose. Not too shabby, especially considering I bought my friend's broken one for $50, and I now have a working iPod again. Rockbox'd, of course
cool.gif

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by rockin_amigo14
not sure what you mean by fragile. The iPod has more of a chance of being scratched due to the front and back is scratchable, as opposed to the ZVM, where only the front is. This is, of course, easily remedied with a case.

If that is true, I guess that answers my question. I know they are both hard drives, and I get the pitfalls that come along with that. I just thought that engineering might design one more shock resistant than the other.
Thanks
Greg

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 8
I'd say the ZVM for sure. Dropped it twice onto hard tiled floor from about 1.5-2.0 metres high and it survived both times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back