Ipod Video Gen 5.5 Opinions?
May 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

steelgtr

100+ Head-Fier
My daughter has had one from when they first came out and I had read rave reviews about the SQ, Wolfson DACs, etc.  I finally got my own, a refurbished 30 gb from ebay.  It seems real sensitive to headphone, IEMs. Can be very bright and  without a custom 5 band graphic like my (love them) Sansas, I'm having trouble finding a good warm sounding pair of IEM's.  F you apple for not including this :frowning2:

What is the consensus here on the DAP?

thx

bob

May 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 19
I consider the rockboxed ipod video sounding to be neutral. Very satisfied with pairing it with my EX1000 and IE80.

With rockbox, you have the options to adjust bass and treble along with EQ's. EQ's are absolutely not for me, but sometimes I boost the bass a little bit for my EX1000 depending on the type of music.

Now my life depends on the rockboxed portable iDrive.

May 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 19
I have not encountered a single bug with the RB, running it on both of my 120GB's for playing the FLAC's only. The size of the ipod video is perfect in my hands and I still think the 5g/5.5g has the best design by Steve Jobs. I can't live without using that click wheel, especially for adjusting sound volume. Nothing can beat that!

May 6, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 19
I hope the OP doesn't mind my asking here but .....is the 5.5 good ? Or is it good for an iPod? I too am interested in getting one, to keep in my truck mostly. 30 or 80gb would be nice to have and cheaper than a year of XM radio. Thanks and I apologize if this is bad form :xf_eek:

May 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:
I hope the OP doesn't mind my asking here but .....is the 5.5 good ? Or is it good for an iPod? I too am interested in getting one, to keep in my truck mostly. 30 or 80gb would be nice to have and cheaper than a year of XM radio. Thanks and I apologize if this is bad form
redface.gif

it's good in general and therefore good for an iPod :)

wouldn't be a bad investment for keeping in the car.. just make sure it doesn't get too hot. Alternatively, you could grab something like the sansa clip and toss a 32gb SD card into it. 

May 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:
I hope the OP doesn't mind my asking here but .....is the 5.5 good ? Or is it good for an iPod? I too am interested in getting one, to keep in my truck mostly. 30 or 80gb would be nice to have and cheaper than a year of XM radio. Thanks and I apologize if this is bad form
redface.gif

Well I was blown away by the sound of the RB'ed 5g in comparison to my iPhone 4s. Then I was curious to find out what was going on with the 5g/5.5g, and I was immediately sold on the wolfson after reading this.

To be honest I wasn't expecting anything special from the ipod video as my intent was to rockbox it and play flac's. Then it took off from there and never look back. Not even the Cowon J3 could take away my love for the iDrive.
wink_face.gif

May 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 19
Mine isn't RB'd, but I always like the sound of my iPod. I think it improves when a LOD is used, and coupled with an amp. I connect it to the Asgard, and it sounds pretty good to me. 

May 7, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #12 of 19
i do have a ipod Gen 5,  should i mod it? or should i just keep it as it is?

May 7, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
i do have a ipod Gen 5,  should i mod it? or should i just keep it as it is?

Well, in my opinion, you can get pretty good performance out of the iPod with a LOD coupled with a nice amp. I do this, and I think it sounds really nice. However, those iMod setups do look very tempting. But I tell myself that it sounds good enough now, and to keep in mind it's a portable music player. You know? Like, for the price of a LOD and amp, it's not even worth doing the iMod route, in my opinion. Because I don't count the amp as part of the iPod, because it can be used with different sources, not just the iPod. So if you ever upgrade to a legit CD player or something, boom, there's your headphone amp.

What I'm saying, is that in my opinion, you can get pretty good performance out of a stock iPod with a LOD and proper amp. 

May 7, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:
Well, in my opinion, you can get pretty good performance out of the iPod with a LOD coupled with a nice amp. I do this, and I think it sounds really nice. However, those iMod setups do look very tempting. But I tell myself that it sounds good enough now, and to keep in mind it's a portable music player. You know? Like, for the price of a LOD and amp, it's not even worth doing the iMod route, in my opinion. Because I don't count the amp as part of the iPod, because it can be used with different sources, not just the iPod. So if you ever upgrade to a legit CD player or something, boom, there's your headphone amp.

What I'm saying, is that in my opinion, you can get pretty good performance out of a stock iPod with a LOD and proper amp. 

and you can get pretty good performance out of the headphone out of a RB clip+

May 7, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
and you can get pretty good performance out of the headphone out of a RB clip+

Yeah, I'm sure there are other options that are better. I was just saying if you happened to have an iPod already, in my opinion a LOD was a good route to go. Also, I think it depends, and I thought of this after I posted, what the intentions are. Like, if you want the setup to be portable, then my post wasn't useful I guess. I was just talking from the perspective of using the iPod as an audio source at home since that's what I do. For a minute, I forgot that the iPod was supposed to be portable. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back