iPod Version Sound Quality - Is Irrelevant When Using Outboard Dac/Amp combo??
Sep 12, 2012 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

garysan

Head-Fier
I've read lots and lots how the iPod 5/5.5 has the best sound quality of all iPods and almost as much debate over the newer 7th gen version being as good if not better...

My question which I can't find an answer to is:  If I'm using something such as iBasso's D-Zero AMP/DAC combo, doesn't that make the whole argument about which iPod version is best largely irrelevant?

The AMP/DAC unit is so slim and tiny that a 3rd gen iPod Nano would go nicely with it and I just happen to have one of these lying around unused :)

Obviously with only 8GB capacity, I'd have to be pretty organised with what music to carry about but you see my reasoning?

Sep 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 4
You can only bypass the ipods DAC section if you either jail-break it and use the camera adapter or you are using the HP-1 or the Alo AlgoRythm Solo. In which case yes it wouldn't matter what type of ipod you are using. This would only matter then if your ipod had the ability to change the EQ in the digital domain (which is doesn't). Only the DX100 has that ability among all other DAPs to my knowledge.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Ohh.. So then, the line out from the iPod doesn't work like I thought it was supposed to.. Like the thread starter, I also assumed the line out was a direct digital source from the iPod to the external DAC. Never knew it had to be modified to work.

Sep 12, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Ohh.. So then, the line out from the iPod doesn't work like I thought it was supposed to.. Like the thread starter, I also assumed the line out was a direct digital source from the iPod to the external DAC. Never knew it had to be modified to work.

Nope, the line-out just bypasses the internal amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back