iPod V has better sound quality!
Oct 13, 2005 at 7:28 PM Post #46 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by deagol
Apple told iLounge that the fifth-generation iPod features greatly enhanced audio recording capabilities,.....

What recording capabilities?
confused.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #49 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
None of the ipods had any (built in) rcording capabilties so I suppose a cheap built in mic would gratly enhance what was never there.

All iPods, even the first generation, have had built-in audio recording. It just was mono, largely intended for recording voices. Now the mono limitation is gone.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #50 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
All iPods, even the first generation, have had built-in audio recording. It just was mono, largely intended for recording voices. Now the mono limitation is gone.

the ipod itself (at least the 3G and 4G) has had the capacity for stereo recording via the dock port (you need to make your own dock recording connector). using ipod linux and the dock input, the ipod can do stereo recording, so apple has limited that feature via software/firmware. seems like they're opening that option now on the 5G ipods.

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #52 of 83
Ihatepopups--thanks for the clarifications.

I'd think that someone within Apple would have given the directive that their most expensive players sound better than their cheapest players.. no company wants things to be structured so that their cheap products outperform their top-of-the-line ones. Imagine if the Ford Focus was faster than the GT...

Oct 14, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #53 of 83
Still can't customize EQ??? Apple doesn't give a toss about sound quality, they add this stupid video thing to lure those white-earbud lovers to spend more at Xmas time. Who is going to watch videos on a bloody 2.5 inch color screen?
I asked one of those guys @ the so called "genius bar" why doesn't Apple add EQ customization to the new Ipod he said I'm the first one who ask, no one's ever asked him such a thing before !!! Jeez, a lot of people should wear hearing-aid devices, not earphones.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 2:53 AM Post #54 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by toucam
Still can't customize EQ??? Apple doesn't give a toss about sound quality, they add this stupid video thing to lure those white-earbud lovers to spend more at Xmas time. Who is going to watch videos on a bloody 2.5 inch color screen?
I asked one of those guys @ the so called "genius bar" why doesn't Apple add EQ customization to the new Ipod he said I'm the first one who ask, no one's ever asked him such a thing before !!! Jeez, a lot of people should wear hearing-aid devices, not earphones.
k1000smile.gif

apple probably doesn't care whether the sound quality has indeed improved to 'gold standard' or if it has a custome EQ. that is not their market. their market is those who want to buy an ipod just because its an ipod, where 'sound quality' probably doesn't even exist in their dictionaries. to me, apple is like koss. koss got lucky with their ksc35 drivers and practically put them in different variations of their phones. luckily for koss, phones hasn't evolve much. apple got lucky with the 1G ipod, and practically has the same design and features throughout their generations of ipod. unluckily, the general consumers don't know that there are other players out there that might fit their needs better and is always hoping that apple will include what they want in their next ipod, or accepts what apple tell them what they should want.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #55 of 83
Quote:

Where's the mic?? Not what I would call built in as with e.g iriver and iaudio. They(ipods) have the capacity to record if you add some stuff to them. Other companies made lots of money adding that functionality to the ipod that has long been standard on other daps. So I don't see it as a feature to boast about. As for line in or optical in recording straight to the Dap iriver did that years ago and apple...still hasn't done it. Reminds me of their new mighty mouse-right click function and scrolling function for the first time ever(for apple) and marketed as revolutionary-well done apple.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #56 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
Where's the mic?? Not what I would call built in as with e.g iriver and iaudio. They(ipods) have the capacity to record if you add some stuff to them. Other companies made lots of money adding that functionality to the ipod that has long been standard on other daps.

If you want the mic, you add the mic. The software and hardware supports it. Devices that look like geek Swiss Army knives with ports and protrusions everywhere scare off average people, which is why you hardly ever see older attorneys, soccer moms, etc. with Creative or iRiver products. To appeal to the broad market, electronic gadgets have to be simple and appealing.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #57 of 83
Quote:

If you want the mic, you add the mic. The software and hardware supports it. Devices that look like geek Swiss Army knives with ports and protrusions everywhere scare off average people, which is why you hardly ever see older attorneys, soccer moms, etc. with Creative or iRiver products. To appeal to the broad market, electronic gadgets have to be simple and appealing.

or most likely they have never heard of Creative or iRiver products. the ports and protrusions are there as features. if one doesn't use them, the attorneys and soccer moms probably doesn't even know what they do. and you think they would be sophiscated just enough to rip and download videos into their ipods, but not know how to operate a radio or mic, which has been in existence since the tape days? like i've been saying all along, many people lets apple decide what they need. if the next ipod becomes a swiss army knife of mp3 players, i'm pretty sure there would be heaps of praises for those once 'useless features' too.

Oct 14, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #58 of 83
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
and you think they would be sophiscated just enough to rip and download videos into their ipods

No, not at all. That's the whole reason video players from iRiver and Creative never gained serious traction. There's no accessible way to get content on to those devices. Geeks can, but for other people it's not so easy. At least Apple is making an attempt to fill in the content side of the equation by selling TV shows on the iTunes store. Not a great deal, but at least accessible.

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #59 of 83
Quote:

No, not at all. That's the whole reason video players from iRiver and Creative never gained serious traction. There's no accessible way to get content on to those devices. Geeks can, but for other people it's not so easy. At least Apple is making an attempt to fill in the content side of the equation by selling TV shows on the iTunes store. Not a great deal, but at least accessible.

ok well, maybe i wasn't clear. you mentioned about ports and protrusions frightening away non-geeks. but doesn't the ipod require connection to a computer, which looks ever scarier than an iRiver or Creative with many more ports and protrusions? maybe i'm missing something here.

Oct 14, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #60 of 83
omg, it's for sale now, i just got a nano, i dun wanna spend $ again.. but the ipod V is so attractive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back