iPod Users
Jul 2, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 7
I've found that in itunes, encoding using VBR at the highest setting, with a min. guaranteed rate of 192k works the best. A whole 74min CD usually comes in at 100mb or so total.
With the Ety 4S plugged into the ipod, I can't tell the difference between that and 320k Constant Bit Rate.
I've tried using uncompressed AIFF and WAV files, and the big catch with those is the HD inside the unit is constantly running, draining the battery post haste. They do sound better, though!

Jul 2, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 7
320kbps, VBR 7, "intelligent coding" ON (whatever that is), sub-10hz cut OFF.

I guess I could go lower, or allow more filtering without missing much, but it's a psychological thing. I just want to loose as little as possible.

I do look forward to Apple including AAC in both iTunes & iPod, as to me it sounded better than those MP3s, but at 256kbps!

Jul 2, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 7
you know, I'm not really sure what codec itunes uses. It would be nice to have the facility to use external plugins like LAME for the mac.

Jul 8, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 7
I use 192kbps VBR-Highest. Smart Encoding, filter frequencies below 10hz, Normal stereo mode.

As far as I know, iTunes uses Fraunhofer to encode mp3s. I tried using a Lame encoder once..it was a pain. It was so slow. I don't think my little iBook can take it. iTunes is so much more friendlier.

Also, I think one of the iPod updates corrected the long mp3 / huge aiff file constant hard drive spinning problem, along with the annoying whine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back