ipod...USBOTG support?
Oct 19, 2005 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ptaaty

100+ Head-Fier
OK, does the photo adapter make the ipod (video 5g) into a USB storage device?

I like the feature on the X5 and a couple others where I can connect the PSP to reload content. Is the ipod similar with the adapter? Or is it strictly an automatic camera transfer thing?

Also do itunes need to be used for everything or can it be USB mass storage. I would like the ability to load files on the ipod and then taken off by the PSP, and the ability to load images from a camera.

The X5L would be perfect other than the interface, the little stick and the lack of id3 organization (firmware promised is not firmware delivered). The Philips HDD633 looks interesting as well but I am concerned about SQ.

I don't need it this instant but my Karma battery is getting worse and worse! I'd get another but want the features listed above.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:09 PM Post #2 of 6
I haven't tried a 5G, but I highly doubt it (as there's been no reports from various Mac sites). I could be wrong, but...

If you want the music to be playable, it needs to update the DB, and stored in a special directory... and that's only going to happen with iTunes (give up if anyone is holding their breathe for that to change) or another third party app*. You can store any files (including music) on the iPod (never tried with the photo adapter) for moving stuff around though. You may be able to use the camera adapter for this also (though I heard of nothing in previous photo adapter versions).

* You may want to look into RedChair's Anapod to get you close.

Oct 19, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 6
hmmm. Thanks for the input...you answered most of what I was after, now if someone can chime in on the fuctionality of the camera adapter and using it to transfer files TO an external device on the go (like the PSP) I will be all set.

Oct 20, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ptaaty
hmmm. Thanks for the input...you answered most of what I was after, now if someone can chime in on the fuctionality of the camera adapter and using it to transfer files TO an external device on the go (like the PSP) I will be all set.

with the newest firmware upgrade you can pretty much connect any camera to the X5... there's a list over at hte forums at iaudiophile.net in regards to what works and what doesn't.

i guess the file-tree isn't everybody's cup of tea but i enjoy it quite a bit, more then ipod's format. Joystikc is pretty good too imo

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Becks23
with the newest firmware upgrade you can pretty much connect any camera to the X5... there's a list over at hte forums at iaudiophile.net in regards to what works and what doesn't.

i guess the file-tree isn't everybody's cup of tea but i enjoy it quite a bit, more then ipod's format. Joystikc is pretty good too imo

Yeah I used my friends, the ability to see folders and connect up most USB devices (PSP!!!) makes the X5 awesome for USBOTG. The interface is just OK, mainly wish for dedicated volume buttons and something easier than the joystick.

My fave player interface is the Karma, I can live with ipod's fine, the Phillips gogear hd6600 (new with glowing blue touch interface) is slick, but the x5 stick is kinda iffy for me. Still the X5L battery life and features make it a strong contender. I might have to hold out a bit longer with my dying karma.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back