ipod upgrade
Apr 10, 2006 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blue4n3

100+ Head-Fier
I have got a 60gb ipod vid. Any way to improve it as a source? What is the strength of the line out via lineout dock? it Doesn't have the juice to kick my big 'phones. Any pre-amp solutions without having to lug around a million pound machine? Anything like the red wine mod that is worth the money? Any suggestions help

Apr 11, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #2 of 5
If you plan to use it with big cans, you need some sort of portable dock and a cmoy amp.

However adjusting the bitrate of your files will give you the most difference in sound quality. A 128 MP3 can't compare to a 192 AAC. You need to experiment to find out what sounds best to you with your equipment.

See ya
Steve

Apr 11, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 5
You need to encode from a high quality source... specifically a CD.

See ya
Steve

Apr 11, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 5
I use my ipod for stereo use only. Most files are AAC Lossless. they were all converted from DVD or CD. Some MP3 are also in there, bit 90% are 256 or higher. Most are 320 or lossless. The lossless are on average 800kbs to 1530kbs. I use the line out exclusively with an amp. For big cans however (especially my akg k240m which are 600ohm) I think I need a good pre amp. Im not quite at the knowlege level of how to set up a proper pre amp (I'm guessing I just amp the line out signal, but with/without opamps combos? buffer?) I have no idea what im doing when it comes to this. please let me know.

Otherwise, its all about dual disc 5.1, high-res audio, SACD, HDCD, or DVD-A (which I dont have a system for yet, b/c DVD-A is only a 6.1 format unless you want to downsample.) unfortunately my pocket isnt big enough for about 200lbs. of audio equipment.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back