Ipod Update to 5.5G?
Sep 13, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 15
Jack update to iTunes7 and you automatically are asked if you want iPod firmware ver 1.2 which has gapless brightness slider fast scroll etc etc

iPod updaters are now done thro iTunes !

Sep 14, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Well I was wondering since I have the 5g version if I update to 5.5 will I have ALL the new features?
Thanks
Fred

no search function, but otherwise, all is included and works well. "gapless" is not 100%, but a good 90-98%. I can still hear a gap in mp3's, they're just a lot shorter now.

Sep 14, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 15
100% gapless using Apple Advanced Lossless. Don't expect gapless for mp3 since they are not gapless by nature (except those encoded with gapless option with Lame, I think)

Sep 14, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #5 of 15
Yes, iirc, only mp3's encoded with lame 3.9.1 or wtv are gapless.

The search function will be added in a later update.

Sep 14, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #6 of 15
I have the older 5G and updated to Ver1.2 and i have the search function
blink.gif

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev777
I have the older 5G and updated to Ver1.2 and i have the search function
blink.gif

wait wait wait, how are you accessing it? do you have a 30 or 60GB? i got a 60GB model and i see no search menu when i go into the "Music" menu. Please tell us the secret!

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 15
As you scroll thro the tracks/artists etc etc it automatically comes up A B C etc etc and goes to the first track in the B list then the first in the C's etc etc and when you leave off the pressure on the wheel it reverts back to individual track scrolling ... simple really
blink.gif
Theres no item within the menu as i can see.

Unless theres something else im missing ????

Sep 14, 2006 at 9:45 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kev777
As you scroll thro the tracks/artists etc etc it automatically comes up A B C etc etc and goes to the first track in the B list then the first in the C's etc etc and when you leave off the pressure on the wheel it reverts back to individual track scrolling ... simple really
blink.gif
Theres no item within the menu as i can see.

Unless theres something else im missing ????

Ohhh, you tricked me! I knew about that, but there's an EXTRA feature the new iPods get. If you click the Music menu, at the bottom there's a option called "Search" that brings up an onscreen keyboard.... damn Apple.

Oct 3, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
hows the 80 gig sound compared to the older 5gs???

it is the same. The 80G just the lcd and the hard drive are different everything else, such as the audio chip are the same. Therefore, there is no sound difference.

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Hi,

As far as I am aware the screen on the 80gb is the same. The new firmware gives a brightness control which equaly applies to the 60gb.

Incidentaly, Rockbox already has this feature, together with the ability to alter the foreground and background colors.

Cheers

John

Oct 4, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 15
Remember...if you have a 5.5, no Rockbox (atm) for you!

Besides, you'd only get the 5.5 for brighter screen and Search Support...if you just get a refurbished 5G one w/ 1.2 firmware, you have pretty much a 5.5, plus automatic Rockbox support!
wink.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
Remember...if you have a 5.5, no Rockbox (atm) for you!

Very true. ATM they got the bootloader to work but now have to tweak the Rockbox code to deal with the new size of the boot partition or something. I'm following the development of the rockbox conversion for the 5.5G iPod very closely since the Art Institute was kind enough to give all of us new students a 60GB video version in white which i ended up getting upgraded to the 80GB Black. SOOOOOO sexy. Now if i could only make a dock with a female usb mini-b socket on it, all would be swell. (The reason is my M3 as well as RAZR V3 charge via a mini-b plug. So i have a wall charger and car charger with the mini-b plug, and yet a female to female usb a to mini-b adapter doesn't exist. As far as i've been able to find at least. Just my luck somebody will have a link to one like 10 minutes after posting this. Simply put, i have too damn many cords and i'd like to consolidate.)

Decay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back