IPOD transfer ?
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cookscreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question ? I thought itunes was just music that had to be purchased through them, so actually itunes is just another program for transfering exisiting music?

iTunes is a media player/organizer that also (and most importantly to Apple) acts as a front-end to their iTunes music STORE. They WANT you to use iTunes with your iPod because it increases the likelihood that you'll buy downloads through them. But to answer your question, yes, you can use iTunes to rip CDs and organize/transfer music files that are already on your computer.

However, as others have already mentioned there are quite a few alternatives to iTunes out there that completely support the iPod and the iPod database. You don't HAVE to use iTunes, unless you want to update the firmware on your iPod that is. Apple decided to fold the iPod firmware updater into iTunes as a way to leverage you into installing it. This is another thing than rubs some people the wrong way and causes them to seek alternatives, simply on principal. The irony here of course is that for years Apple has built a huge business on cultivating and marketing their image as the "anti-Microsoft" in the computer industry. Now they are seen by many AS the Microsoft of the MP3 player industry.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #17 of 26
iTunes is an audio player/manager as well as the interface to the iTunes Music Store (iTMS) where you can purchase music. Personally I don't have any music that has been brought via online stores (I don't like DRM) and all my music on my player is from my CD's that I've ripped to my PC using EAC into FLAC so that I have a backup. From those FLAC files I create MP3 files which I then import into iTunes so that it can sync to my iPod.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:09 PM Post #18 of 26
double post...

and dpippel beat me to it

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #20 of 26
you also have a program called ephpod and there are plugins for Foobar also for you to interface with iTunes.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #21 of 26
Hi. So what was the answer to the question about transferring music. For example, I have a lot of MP3s on my computer. I don't have itunes and have never had an ipod. If I buy an ipod, can I transfer my entire MP3 library to it?

Thanks.
etysmile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi. So what was the answer to the question about transferring music. For example, I have a lot of MP3s on my computer. I don't have itunes and have never had an ipod. If I buy an ipod, can I transfer my entire MP3 library to it?

Yes, as we've already explained in this thread.
biggrin.gif
You can either use iTunes or any other application that supports the iPod database, some examples of which have also been mentioned.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #23 of 26
So I can just drag and drop my entire MP3 library into itunes? On the apple website, it says: "And if your songs already exist in digital form on your computer, it’s even easier to import them. Just drag and drop them into your iTunes library." But I read somewhere here that you cannot do that.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I am totally new to this stuff.

Much thanks.

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I can just drag and drop my entire MP3 library into itunes? On the apple website, it says: "And if your songs already exist in digital form on your computer, it’s even easier to import them. Just drag and drop them into your iTunes library." But I read somewhere here that you cannot do that.

Sorry to ask such basic questions, but I am totally new to this stuff.

Much thanks.

No problemo.

You cannot drag-and-drop your MP3s directly onto your *iPod*. You import them into iTunes (or similar software) first, then you use the *application* to transfer the files onto the player.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 26
Why are you so keen on avoiding Itunes ???

I find it to be a great program for managing mp3 files and Ipod...

I once had a Sony NW3000 and the software was an absolute nightmare compared to Itunes..

Yhere are programs that allows you to transfer songs from Ipod to another PC try searching www.Ilounge.com

http://forums.ilounge.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

regards Claus

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 26
Some people really don't like iTunes. I was never overkeen on the thing itself and, personally, only use it for transferring files to my iPod as I use Foobar2k for all my music playback as I prefer that.

Also I know people who really can not stand Quicktime and have had a terrible time with it and don't want Quicktime on their system. Without Quicktime iTunes won't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back