IPOD transfer ?
Jan 7, 2007 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cookscreek

Head-Fier
Can my PC music files be transfered to a ipod or do you have to use itunes , I usually just transfer album folders to my current players ,can this be done with a ipod

Jan 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cookscreek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can my PC music files be transfered to a ipod or do you have to use itunes , I usually just transfer album folders to my current players ,can this be done with a ipod

I second the question. A friend got a 2nd Gen Shuffle for Christmas, but do to unrelated problems on his computer, I can't install iTunes 7.

Thx.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 26
There are several alternatives to using iTunes. Yamipod seems to be a popular alternative, as it is freeware. A quick search on Google for 'Yamipod' will take you to the product page.

Jan 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #4 of 26
Jan 7, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

so you are saying you can't drop and drag from stored music files

OK will this softwear let me do this ,I think I used this with my Karma

Jan 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 26
Depending on which iPod you own/buy you may be able to Rockbox it, which would allow you to drag and drop folders.
Check out http://www.rockbox.org/ for more info.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 26
i also suggest rockbox.

(my own) pros and cons

pros:

crossfeed
5 band graphical eq
themes
drag-and-drop playability (this one is most pertinent to the question)
similarly, if you want to share music, it can be dragged off of the ipod as well
on-device database building to search and sort by album/artist/genre, or just browse the folders themselves

cons:

battery life is halved
installation is a bit complicated
simultaneously using crossfeed and graphical eq results in songs skipping (eats up too many clock cycles)
no click-wheel acceleration (cycles through lists at the same speed)
can't use ipod accessories that requre on-screen menus (i.e. fm transmitters)
i think it also voids your warranty

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 26
there are other software options. winamp and mediamonkey are 2 others that haven't been mentioned. if its a new nano, 80gb video, or shuffle, rockbox doesn't work yet

with the shuffle, you can check out the shuffle database builder. it is a small file that you run after dragging and dropping songs.

all players read a database file. on some players, the database is created by the player itself. with ipods, the database needs to be created by the computer. all the software mentioned builds that database.

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

so you are saying you can't drop and drag from stored music files

When you drag and drop to the ipod it will act as a USB key and store it, but it won't be playable, for that you need Itunes or other 3rd party software.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:13 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

just seems like a lot of hassle for a big price tag I guess all the heavy advertising paid off ,not shure I'm ready for one of these right now.

To you it might seem like a lot of hassle.

To others making sure themselves that their MP3's or AAC's are all ordered correctly on the PC so that they can drag and drop files that they want to their DAP is a hassle.

A lot of people who use iPods with iTunes aren't very up with PC's and how to use them. I know my mother likes her MP3 player very much but she listens to the same few tracks over and over because she doesn't know how to rip tracks to the PC and then transfer them over... give her iTunes with an iPod and suddenly she knows what she's doing.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #13 of 26
Very good point taken, that did not even cross my mind , I'm sorry if it came across that I was bashing the ipods if I did Iam sorry , I actually want to try one of these players myself some day but I did not want to be at the mercy of Itunes which is why I started this thread to get some info. which is why is place is so helpfull .

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #14 of 26
I can understand not wanting to be tied down to iTunes. That's why I originally got an iAudio X5L so that I could be drag and drop and not have to deal with any software other then the operating system.

Having used iTunes now though I have to admit it does make things a bit easier (although, personally, only for podcast syncing as for keeping my player updated I found that basic file transfer was easy enough for me)

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand not wanting to be tied down to iTunes. That's why I originally got an iAudio X5L so that I could be drag and drop and not have to deal with any software other then the operating system.

Having used iTunes now though I have to admit it does make things a bit easier (although, personally, only for podcast syncing as for keeping my player updated I found that basic file transfer was easy enough for me)

Question ? I thought itunes was just music that had to be purchased through them, so actually itunes is just another program for transfering exisiting music?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back