ipod touch SQ vs iphone 2018
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xbmyc

New Head-Fier
This may be discussed before. But did anyone ever do any serious comparison between the sound quality of the ipod touch (A8) and the newest iphone? I can't imagine the $200 ipod touch to be better than any serious DAP. There is a lot of reviews about the sound quality of the different DAPs, but I can't find any review of the ipod touch based on its sound quality. The most I could find are on older models of ipods, but my understanding is that the older ipods actually perform better on the sound aspect compared to the newest ipod touch.

Any help?

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 6
To me it's ONLY when using CA Andromeda as the IEM for iPod Touch (A8) [which I'll refer to as 6G] to have a superior SQ to any iPhone released. It's only my opinion and YMMV as always.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 6
To me it's ONLY when using CA Andromeda as the IEM for iPod Touch (A8) [which I'll refer to as 6G] to have a superior SQ to any iPhone released. It's only my opinion and YMMV as always.
Interesting, I might buy one just to test it out against my zx300.

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, if you have a ZX300, it'll probably beat the Touch 6G, but the 6G drives my IEM with power, authority, dynamics and zero hiss that I don't find it necessary to buy an audiophile marketed DAP

Sep 3, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 6
Well, if you have a ZX300, it'll probably beat the Touch 6G, but the 6G drives my IEM with power, authority, dynamics and zero hiss that I don't find it necessary to buy an audiophile marketed DAP
To be honest the main difference I find between the ZX300 and my iphone is that my iphone has this layer of "rough veil" over the whole sound. It's like a "hum" or rumbling feeling I find it difficult to explain. But the ZX300 seem to be softer and can be much quieter at the quieter parts of my musics. I don't think its a hiss. Its just that for the ZX300 I can turn up the sound much more without feeling uncomfortable, and for iphone if I turn up the sound that "hum" layer push everything up to feel too loud and rough. I was hoping maybe the ipod touch is dedicated to music so maybe that weird "rough veil" does not exist like in the iphone.

Sep 4, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 6
d. It's like a "hum" or rumbling feeling I find it difficult to explain. But the ZX300 seem to be softer and can be much quieter at the quieter parts of my musics. I don't think its a hiss. Its just that for the ZX300 I can turn up the sound much more without feeling uncomfortable, and for iphone if I turn up the sound that "hum" layer push everything up to feel too loud and rough.

It's the main reason I have the 6G even though my iPhone 6S has a headphone jack. Those LTE chips, lots of CPU cycles passes through the analog stage, ruining the dynamics with a "veil/hum". My 6G is configured to be 100% music player, meaning no extra stuff such as location tracking, no widges, no Apple ID synching, no auto check for software updates, no other non-music apps, no background apps whatsoever. The SQ is mid-fi DAP like after cleaning those non-audio related apps and optimize iOS to not have any other services/background apps other than my Music app or Spotify or Tidal or Groove. I highly suggest before you seriously listen to the 6G that you optimize iOS first and foremost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back