iPod Touch & Sound Quality -- Thoughts?
Jan 8, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #17 of 32
Is it just me or does the 2G ipod lack treble? I noticed more high end sparkle on other players like the cowon d2 and the meizu m6.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #18 of 32
I've found the headphone jack to be much poorer in terms of SQ than using the dock connector. Since I bought a LOD (Line out Dock) and amplifier (iBasso D3) I'm much happier with my 2G Touch.
It just sounds more like music.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #19 of 32
Compare to my others ipod, Iphone 3G headphone line out sound better than :
Ipod 4G-Ipod Video 5G-Ipod Nano 3G.
I don't know if iphone 3G sound as Itouch 2G (looks to be the seem, but maybe not)
concerning line out Nano3G and iphone sound identical.
the others, i can't say because they are imoded.

Jan 15, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #20 of 32
comparing any portable to a portable with amp is really unfair. you are listening to perfect test situation versus a strain on the headphone out and output stages.

of course an ipod or a sony or a sansa for instance will sound better with amp: that amp is a dedicated piece of equipment that no player in the world has

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or does the 2G ipod lack treble? I noticed more high end sparkle on other players like the cowon d2 and the meizu m6.

im not sure about the meizu (have that one too - well it is dead now but...) but the d2 is definately a high performer in treble. however, the d2 has exagerrated treble when compared with mid and bass so that is probably what you are hearing. it levels out when driving an amp but not with headphones. meizu: eq? that was one of my favourite players.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 32
Personally that cnet review is a heap of bologna. My advice is to always try new things, for yourself.

I was going to get a classic but after listening to both I decided I made the right choice by going with the 1g touch.

The sound reminds me of the 1g shuffle- very lively and natural. I believes it blows away the imod, both 4g and 5.5 ones. The headphone out does have hiss with my iems but only in the places I would not use the iem in the first place. I would gladly trade some low level hiss that I dont notice for superior sq and a generally very useful product.

They are fantastic through their line out too. I all but abandoned portable stuff till this. I would actually consider carrying an amp(supermini iv) with this now... Highly recommended from this listener.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #22 of 32
i have had both new and old touch and love them both. the hiss from 1g is a little much but compared to my sony 828 and 615 and meizu m6 (sp), it is tame. it has similar bass roll off to the meizu but other than that is a stellar performer. love its sound but i prefer the 2g mainly for hiss and extra thunder in the bass

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #23 of 32
I have been listening to my SE530's with my 2g touch and it sounded good but I felt that the bass was just not there. It was there but not defined. I then listened to my 3g nano and the SQ was a tad better but the bass was there and alot more defined. Both EQ's were set on "Rock" with the sound level about the same.

Jan 16, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mpd224 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been listening to my SE530's with my 2g touch and it sounded good but I felt that the bass was just not there. It was there but not defined. I then listened to my 3g nano and the SQ was a tad better but the bass was there and alot more defined. Both EQ's were set on "Rock" with the sound level about the same.

Just a warning... most people here will tell you to stay away from Apple's EQ settings. The equalizer apparently isn't very well implemented.

But everyone should draw their own conclusions... just giving you a heads up.
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a warning... most people here will tell you to stay away from Apple's EQ settings. The equalizer apparently isn't very well implemented.

But everyone should draw their own conclusions... just giving you a heads up.
wink.gif

well in general I recommend EQs not be used no matter what the circumstances. It is cheating. There are no shortcuts to good sound quality.

Jan 18, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #29 of 32
I'm pretty disappointed with the sound on my 1G Touch. I bought it even though I had a Toshiba T400 (which sounds amazing, but its capacity tops out at 4GB) because I thought the wi-fi would be useful on campus for checking email, etc.

But the 1G sounds pretty flat to me (using Senn CX-300s and JVC Marshmallows) and the headphone jack keeps having problems. For reference, I've also used a Meizu M6 in the past. Both my previous players (and my Samsung phone) beat the Touch in terms of sound quality. I'm thinking about selling it while I can still get a good price for the 16 gigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back