iPod Touch & Sound Quality -- Thoughts?
Dec 11, 2008 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

I3eyond

500+ Head-Fier
Noticed Cnet's review commented on the 2nd gen Touch having underwhelming SQ, and I found this quite surprising coming from a not-so-audiophile site like CNET commenting on SQ being underwhelming. They did, however, seem to only complain about lack of EQ settings compared to other companies.

I will be using whatever MP3 player I get to:

-Listen to music on-the-go paired with my PA2V2.

-Listen to music in my car, connecting it to my Eclipse CD8455 through the iPod line out

Thoughts?

Dec 11, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 32
I have tested the 1g and 2g touch against the so called giant killer sansa clip and the 2g is very close in sq to the clip with it being more neutral and less glamorous sounding (i think the clip is coloured). 1g is not as good and hisses a bit with my custom-2s.
i dont think anyone should be diappointed with the SQ of the 2g touch, if they are they probably dont know what a good player sounds like.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 32
Cnet = Larry, Curly and Moe of audio review/testing. yuk yuk yuk. Use an $$$ audio analyzer and leave the jet effects on D2 to test and get a Huge snake curve. Yuk yuk yuk mwaaaaa
biggrin.gif
They silly fools and EQ/sound enhancement whores, you listen to us here on Headfi
wink.gif
Touch 2g good, EQ bad.

Dec 15, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 32
The touch, especially the faster 2g model, is so much more than a simple MP3 player that you'll likely find listening to music only one of several compelling uses. For me, these things are true paradigm shifters.

Dec 15, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by doomlordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think anyone should be diappointed with the SQ of the 2g touch, if they are they probably dont know what a good player sounds like.

Sounds like something Steve Jobs would say.

Dec 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #10 of 32
The Touch SQ is really not bad. It's quite 'digital' and slightly bright compared to other FOTM DAPs imo, but if you're not much into colored and warm sound, it sounds great. I'll leave Ihatepopupads to judge more on DAP sound signatures. In my book, he's the 'Keeper of great sounding DAPs'
biggrin.gif
. For me, the beauty of buying an iPod as a starter DAP is that fact that you could invest in an amp setup down the line. Most DAPs don't have a line-out or a true line-out and someday, when the head-fi bug bites and you want an amp with a portable, you're then gonna have to invest in a new iPod. That set-up would piss all over other standalone DAPs and could end your craving for "perhaps that DAP would sound better than what I have now" paranoia. And as Spad said, there are tons of stuff you could use the touch for. It serves well as a productivity tool ala PDA, among others. My only gripe about my Touch/Nano is the fact that with high bitrate files, it can't match the battery life of my amps
biggrin.gif
. I know, too optimistic.

With that said, can't wait for the end of February/early March when 'supposedly', Apple will bump the Touch/iPhone capacities. 64gb iPod Touch
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 32
I use my 2g touch everytime, good sound quality. Gives bass mids and trebbles where they should be.
I'd say they're smart and by what I hear with my own ears it produces more or less (for the bass)than the specified 20-22,000 khz

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 32
Glad i found this thread and the various links on the first page. My Imod--now at Vinnie's--appears to be dead or dying and looking to replace with an Ipod product. So this thread and its related links provide some good research.

If it IS dead, will have a pristine ALO Jumbo Imod Cryodock for sale.

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 32
I own a a 2G Touch and agree that it sounds a little cold/bright compared with some other players, but not so much as to be a problem... more of a subjective taste thing. In terms of SQ alone I think my Creative ZVM is a tad superior in that I like its somewhat warmer presentation, and the bass response is simply better IMO, seems like the final amp is more powerful, or perhaps just provides better synergy with my favorite IEMs (Shure SE530.) I can understand why the SE530 are such a favorite for the Touch, their slightly warm presentation balances the Touch's slightly cold presentation very well.

Now if only the ZVM had that cool browser and UI...
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 32
I think my 2G touch sounds fine. Sounds better than my laptop sound card and my LG Dare. Also sounds better than my friend's iPod nano (I think second gen), but I don't know if they messed with the eq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back