iPod Touch portable 'phone recommendation?
Nov 29, 2009 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mr A

New Head-Fier
In the next month or so I'm going to be picking up a new MP3 player. I live in a city where I'm guessing I can probably get wifi pretty much anywhere I hang out, so I've opted to go for an iPod Touch 3G, and I need a pair of portable headphones to go with it.

I know these types of threads probably pop up constantly here, and I apologize. I did do my fair share of searching and reading already, both on this site and through Google searches, and I'm still undecided.

What I'm looking for is portable headphones. I specifically do not want IEMs. I've used several IEMs and I find them all overly uncomfortable and physically irritating after just a short amount of time, and ear wax becomes a problem even with comfortable IEMs.

My price range is flexible, but I'm not looking to spend too much -- I'm hoping not to go over $150 USD for the headphones and the LOD/amp (if necessary for said headphones) combined, and absolutely no higher than $200.

My reading on the subject thus far has suggested the PortaPros, PX100 and PX200. As my price range is quite a bit higher than any of these, I'm turning to you guys for some more advice.

What can you guys recommend in my price range for the best portable sound, with or without an amp/LOD, for less than or around about $150, that wouldn't involve bulky, cumbersome cans?

Thank you in advance.

Nov 29, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 12
Shure 440 would fit your bill I think.

If your interested in trying a different IEM the ATH CHS70 do not insert in the ear deeply as all and are very comfortable to wear. The way the bass chamber is designed it actually acts as a guide of sorts when inserting the IEM and you can never insert it too deep.

Nov 29, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 12
I would skip the amp and go for the Sennheiser HD25-1. They don't fold but they aren't too big.

For less than that there's the Shures (SRH840 and SRH440), the ATH-ES7, and Denon AH-D1001k. But do keep in mind that none of these are as portable as the PX100/PX200/PortaPros.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 12
All those recommendations are much too big to carry on me regularly. I've thought about it and I'm going to give IEMs another chance. The ones I have tried which were uncomfortable were never above $50, and after reading up on the specifics of IEM comfort I'm willing to buy a decent pair and do what I can to get accustomed to using them.

What would be the best pair of IEMs I can get for the same budget, around or just above $150? Clear, even response of all frequencies is important to me; I like all aspects of music to shine (accurately), from the highs down to the lows. Deep, low and full, but tight non-muddy bass is also important to me. And a must is that cymbals must be well represented, but not harsh.

I listen to a wide range of different rock styles, from classic to modern, as well as some rap here and there (mostly East-style, primarily Jay-Z).

If a wider budget is necessary for this, I can go up to $200, but I wouldn't be willing to spend any more, and I'd be more comfortable with a $150-range pair.

Thanks again for any advice.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr A /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be the best pair of IEMs I can get for the same budget, around or just above $150? Clear, even response of all frequencies is important to me; I like all aspects of music to shine (accurately), from the highs down to the lows. Deep, low and full, but tight non-muddy bass is also important to me. And a must is that cymbals must be well represented, but not harsh.

Head-Direct RE0 for the balanced, natural, tight sound you described. The bass might not be as full as you want, but it's incredibly tight and naural. Yes, they're only $79, but I don't think you're going to do better under $150. Spend the rest on an amp or something (mini3 works great but it's a little unwieldy). For comfort you may want to pick up some Shure Olive tips and mod them to fit the RE0s if you find the included silicones lacking.

Also, if you're more comfortable with conventional earbuds (think iBuds) there's the Yuin PK and OK lines.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 12
I had looked at the RE0. I noticed a strong consensus that they're damn good IEMs for the price. But a review did mention lacking bass and that turned me off. Though itt's kind of hard to get an idea of what that really means on a board like this. I really don't know what constitutes such a description to people who're actually experienced in good audio equipment.

Would the bass in RE0s be sufficiently enjoyable, or am I going to find it completely lacking and unsatisfactory?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I had looked at the RE0. I noticed a strong consensus that they're damn good IEMs for the price. But a review did mention lacking bass and that turned me off. Though itt's kind of hard to get an idea of what that really means on a board like this. I really don't know what constitutes such a description to people who're actually experienced in good audio equipment.

Would the bass in RE0s be sufficiently enjoyable, or am I going to find it completely lacking and unsatisfactory?

I found the bass perfectly enjoyable. If you look at all of the comments the general trend is that people coming from stock earbuds or low-end IEMs find them bass-light because they're more used to the 'popular' bassy sound signature of their previous equipment. If you expect to feel your bass rather than hear it, the RE0 are probably not for you. Otherwise the bass is perfectly sufficient.

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the bass perfectly enjoyable. If you look at all of the comments the general trend is that people coming from stock earbuds or low-end IEMs find them bass-light because they're more used to the 'popular' bassy sound signature of their previous equipment. If you expect to feel your bass rather than hear it, the RE0 are probably not for you. Otherwise the bass is perfectly sufficient.

Sounds good. Given their low price-point, it leaves me room to add. I haven't dealt with decent or better headphones at all before, so I never had to even use a headphone amp. Could I possibly push the bass further using an amp?

Edit: Wait, what about the Monster Turbines? The review in your signature looks quite good for them, and the price at Amazon.com seems to be $95 right now.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Sounds good. Given their low price-point, it leaves me room to add. I haven't dealt with decent or better headphones at all before, so I never had to even use a headphone amp. Could I possibly push the bass further using an amp?

Edit: Wait, what about the Monster Turbines? The review in your signature looks quite good for them, and the price at Amazon.com seems to be $95 right now.

Yes, a warm/bassy amp can push the bass on the RE0s. iBasso T4 works fine for this.

Turbines are good and $95 is about what they're worth in my book. They have bucketloads of bass compared to the RE0s but aren't quite up to par in terms of detail and clarity. The RE0 is the more neutral and balanced earphone. The Turbine is more fun. It also doesn't scale up much with amping.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #11 of 12
So if you're definitely recommending the RE0s paired with the iBasso T4 (or something else?) over the Turbines, I guess I'll purchase that.

Thanks for the great help. I can't wait to get and hear these things. It's been too long since I've had good-sounding speakers to rock to.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

So if you're definitely recommending the RE0s paired with the iBasso T4 (or something else?) over the Turbines, I guess I'll purchase that.

The RE0s deliver a much more natural sound, so if that's what you're looking for they would be my pick. Especially if you can find a used T4 to stay underbudget
wink.gif
. I'd just try the RE0s without an amp first though and see what you make of them. Same goes for stock tips - if they don't cut it then you can consider upgrading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back